BX2360 Adding a radiator drain valve

Rick in CT

Equipment
BX2360, loader, snow blower, blade, mower
Feb 2, 2015
Wallingford, CT
After performing my first radiator drain and flush on my BX2360, I decided that it needed a real drain for the radiator rather than the factory drain plug, which is next to impossible to reach.

I used the following new hardware:

Dayco 86806 molded heater hose, 5/16" $7.99 from amazon

Raider straight shut off valve, 5/16", $14.99 at Tractor Supply and others

Two band clamps to fit the Dayco hose

5/16" heater hose for the drain end of the valve with band clamp

I made a couple of tracings of the Dayco hose that are copied below. Both ends of the hose were trimmed to fit the application. The hose when installed on the radiator drain makes a quick 180 and directs the flow of water to the rear of the tractor. There is at least one inch of clearance between the new hose and the V-belt.

The drain valve is installed so that it is tucked up in the frame of the tractor. I installed it with the valve handle pointing up, and I put a tie wrap around the valve/handle so that the handle cannot be turned without cutting the tie wrap. I then installed a length of 5/16" hose to act as the drain hose that can be dropped down into the catch pan when needed. When not in use, this hose is tucked up into the frame, parallel to the drive shaft, and is fastened down with a tie wrap through an existing hole in the frame. I put a bolt in the end of this 5/16" hose with another band clamp on it to prevent dirt from plugging up the hose.

The next time I need to drain the radiator I will simply drop down the drain hose, cut the tie wrap on the valve, and watch it flow. If you want to add this assembly, you do not need to drain your radiator. I found that I could remove the drain plug cap and barely a drop of fluid would come out as long as you keep your radiator cap in place. Getting to the band clamp on the factory drain was a real nightmare, and I knew that I was only going to do that once. Hope this helps others. :)

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
excellent, Rick... thanks for the great idea. :)
When I last flushed the rad & changed coolant on my BX24, I was able to loosen the clamp on the lower rad hose & dislodge the hose connection enough to drain the coolant... but the stuff ran everywhere... hard to collect the old coolant. I'll pick up the valve & hose and do your mod next time.

Pete