Water pump?

Frawlz

Equipment
L1501, slasher, ploughs, rotarty hoe, etc
Dec 27, 2014
Windera Queensland Australia
Gidday, had some dramas with my little girl (L1501 4wd) overheating and was wondering if anyone has ever tried fitting an electric water pump and/or oil cooler.

Not overheating all the time, just when worked hard. 40degree plus ambient and slashing grass taller than the tractor...

Cheers.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
If I mow a lot on a really hot day, my B7100 starts to creep up near hot. On those days I have an electric fan that fits between the grill and the radiator. I just use aligator clips on the end of wires to connect it to the battery. It makes a big difference in keeping the temp down. I think it is a 12" fan I got on ebay for around $30.

However their is no more important trick than keeping the radiator clean to start.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The cost of a pump capable of fitting either hose and moving coolant through system would be prohibitive.

Cleaning radiator and adding electric fan would be the least expensive and most effective.

Frawlz

Equipment
Dec 27, 2014

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
search the forum for thermosyphon cooling and you will understand that this system works pretty well and its made before 30years at your tractor and had work all this years perfectly

how do you know that it overheats?
whats your engine/water temps?

here in Greece we have very hot summers 40C+ and i haven't seen more that 107C at the head of my tractor when i till or im with the bush hog in very high grass or small trees.

check the radiator cup and the water level, or the mix of the antifreeze, don't put more than 50/50 and premixed before you put it in the radiator.

check even for water leaks.

and plz tell us the engine temps or how do you understand that it overheats?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
have you checked if the radiator screen is clogged with debris???:D

When Dave means check it - REAALLLY check it - all that grass can get deep into the nooks and crannies - compressed air carefully used it a great tool. Be careful with a powerwasher and or the compressed air - too much is a bad thing!:eek:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
When Dave means check it - REAALLLY check it - all that grass can get deep into the nooks and crannies - compressed air carefully used it a great tool. Be careful with a powerwasher and or the compressed air - too much is a bad thing!:eek:
I take the screen off, and use the cheapest electric pressure washer, to clean the rad. You are right don't take a big gas powered PW to it. I ain't poked no holes into it yet, this ain't my first rodeo...:D

Frawlz

Equipment
Dec 27, 2014
Yup, I REALLY check the screen... It gets blown out with an air compressor after most work and every hour or so I stop and get off and brush it clean.

I'm in the process of replacing two welsch plugs that have been seeping by the looks of them. I'm certain that will solve my dramas. They are in behind the starter motor and I hadn't seen the little snail trails until I pulled it into the shed for a good clean.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Also if im not mistaken, thermostat is important to the operation of the system.
Yep I believe your mistaken, I don't think it has one, most if not all thermo siphon don't have one. ;)

Frawlz,
I don't think a little booster pump is going to make any difference for you, a better fan or add on electric fan might help.
With it cold pull the radiator cap start it up and look for bubbles, if you have bubbles you have a bad head gasket.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Also if im not mistaken, thermostat is important to the operation of the system.

Like wolfman said - aint none......water sits until it gets hot and only when it gets hot does it start to move, rises up to the upper hose, cooled by fan drops back down and continues the cycle ......

thermostat KEEPS water in the jacket until it gets hot enough to move, otherwise the engine would never get warm enough , quick enough to be efficient. That is in a forced system. Thus a good reason to ALWAYS leave a thermostat in a engine (that works) - many have overheated because the water pushes by and never picks up the heat to be cooled.

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
I'm in the process of replacing two welsch plugs that have been seeping by the looks of them. I'm certain that will solve my dramas. They are in behind the starter motor and I hadn't seen the little snail trails until I pulled it into the shed for a good clean.
That's the main reason of you overheating problem, the leak is not allow the pressure to build up and the water to move fast enough and cool the engine.

Frawlz

Equipment
Dec 27, 2014
New welsch plugs in, gave it a belting in some 4 foot tall green panic grass and it did pretty well. Still spat a little hot water after a couple of real thick runs. Might try a new radiator cap. What pressure should the cap be rated at?