L245DT transmission question

jeff.knoles

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 19, 2015
texas
Hello I am new to the forum and new to tractors. I just got a L245DT with a loader. It has been sitting for about 8 years so I am in the process of looking it over and changing fluids and filters. The cover was off for the PTO shifter ( the cover with the shift pattern on it ) so when i looked in the transmission case I saw a piece of wood in the transmission. Looks like a 2x4 that has been shaped to fit. Question is is it suppose to be there and if not why would it be there? Just want to know before I fill up the transmission. kubota.jpg

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
It might be to block out speeds 2 and 3, to keep idiot mexicans from shifting into them, and ruining attachments that are designed to run only@540 RPM. It might also be there to keep #1 speed in gear, if it has a tendency to pop out. On my L2202, I made a small wood block to keep the PTO from popping out of gear, while bush hogging. Mine is external, as I have a shifter cage, to use to prop against, with the block...:D

jeff.knoles

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 19, 2015
texas
Thanks I will have to find out later if that's what the block is for,I guess for now its not hurting anything. There are a lot of things i need to fix and/or figure out. I can start the tractor but don't know if it will even move yet.