L260 transmision gears toasted

53willys

Equipment
L260
Aug 12, 2015
Everson,WA
Hello all just signed up this morning and recently bought my first/ kubota tractor this past Sunday. Price was to good to pass up and with our strong dollar vs Canadian it made the deal that much nicer.

The tractor is a L260p 2wd with a fel. Tractor runs good drives fine for and old machine. Goes forward good and reverse as well but with some extra gear clanging. From what I could read from searching is reverse gear likes to get abused. Well reverse and surrounding gears are toast and after draining fluid the lower sets are just as ugly.

My question is what other model tractors share the same transmission gears as my l260. Would like to cross reference with other models/years when I hunt down new gears.
image.jpg image.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't believe that there is any other models that used the same transmission gears.
Sadly, I bet if you can even find them, your going to pay dearly for them.

53willys

Equipment
L260
Aug 12, 2015
Everson,WA
Thanks guys I'll give them a call if my local tractor stores can't come up with anything. Going Friday, was afraid it would be hard to find parts was hoping they were smart enough to cross parts amongst tractors but I guess not.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Last edited by a moderator:

53willys

Equipment
L260
Aug 12, 2015
Everson,WA
Hey guys thank for all the references to find parts. Tomorrow I'll swing in both tractor store and dealership see what I can get out of them. If they are no help I'm definitely calling around. Quite the bummer buying new to me tractor and having issues like this. Had no real tell tale signs it was this bad. Every gear stayed in test driving, no grinding. Just in reverse had a little extra gear noise when I got home and started pushing manure pile up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
hoping they were smart enough to cross parts amongst tractors but I guess not.
They were on the next model that they build, ;), that model was when they were still in infancy. :p

53willys

Equipment
L260
Aug 12, 2015
Everson,WA
Update*** went to dealer and they could get 3 out of 4 parts. The fourth being the large cluster gear that's discontinued. Since I now have to find gears in salvage yard I started calling. First was a place outside of Portland, OR. He wanted 400 for the whole transmision, case and all. I just gotta get the Friday to go down and look them over if they are any good. Got the next three weekends booked for horse pulls. Thanks all for the help.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
That sounds really great. Thats a whole lot better price.
I hope it all works out.
Keep us updated and good luck.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Gald to hear you fond the parts, these old monsters can be tough. ;)

53willys

Equipment
L260
Aug 12, 2015
Everson,WA
D2cat it kinda tough to cancel a horse pull since it's a big family thing here and they need to earn their keep with the winnings[emoji14]

Nickelplated the guy has a ad on Craigslist in the Eugene area. He's from west linn kinda outside Portland I guess. He has a bunch of models listed.
Contact #
Raffi. 5ZERO3-638-19THREE9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: