B6200 Diff Lock Shaft won't move

Rainman

Equipment
B6200 with 1640a FEL
Aug 15, 2015
Richmond KY
I've had my B6200 D for about 5 years now. In it's previous life before me, it must have spent time with a road dept or contractor moving salt. I've replaced the Hood, Dash panel and floor plates. And rebuilt the entire FEL bucket as it was rusted thru in multiple spots.

I rebuilt the hydraulic pump a couple of weeks back (hyd oil in engine oil), with help from this site.

I'm in the process of building/rebuilding the fenders.

Today I found that the splined shaft that actuates the diff lock is stuck. I mashed too hard on the foot pedal and broke the cast lever that attaches to the shaft & linkage.

My question is: Can I apply a little bit of heat to the shaft, soak it with penetrating oil - repeat a couple of times to see if the shaft frees up? I wonder if there's a seal or Oring on the shaft, as it would surely get destroyed by the heat.

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
There would be a seal of some sort in there, a gentle rattle with an air hammer while pouring hot water may break the rust free. Has worked very well for me on many occasions. It likely will be stuck towards the outside of seal/o ring.