Glow Plug Test Adapter

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Down below is a picture of the closest test plug in the test kit I have...

As you can see it threads in just fine but bottoms out before all threads can be inserted. Should I just wrap some teflon tape maybe around it twice and dont over tighten or do I need this one...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gclid=CNHd_b7DpMcCFQ-IaQodD2oHaQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
You can see how the end of this one looks shorter in the picture.
Thanks

Attachments

bh115577

Equipment
2004 BX 2200, FEL, 60" MMM
Mar 5, 2015
Central NY
I was under the impression that it seals by bottoming out in the hole and.......

I had no idea that newegg sold stuff like that. Thought they were just computers and electronics. I will be ordering that fitting for the home shop. I used an old injector and welded a quick fitting to it for my compression tester but would like to be able to test without always removing lines and injectors. Awesome find.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I'm missing something in the description provided.

What is the intent of doing this? I'm not following what's going on.

Is the adapter intended to (1) just screw into and "plug" the glow plug threaded hole so something else can be accomplished (compression test?) or is it (2) somehow intended to be a way to test the original glow plug?

I'd get as close to perfect match as possible (for length) concerning protrusion into cylinder. I have no idea what the clearances are and would hate to bang two things together that might ding something permanently.

If trying to test the original GP just clamp it gently in a pair of vice grips or bench vice and apply 12-vdc to the terminal. If it gets hot it's good. CAUTION it gets real hot real fast--watch for flammables and fingers.

I'm curious the intent and desired outcome of this exercise. Please post back with continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I do apologize for not being more clear.
Im trying to take a compression test on my L245F through the glow plug ports.
The area in the motor where the original glow plug sits and seals is tapered and where the test piece is bottoming out at, is at that tapered area. I could probably seal it with teflon tape on the threads and not over tighten or at least try that first.
Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the adapter threads in and bottoms out then you should be fine, as the tip of the glow plug is just sitting in the prechamber.
So In other words flat bottom adapter in tapered hole will still seal (no heat or explosion to worry about. ;)

If it does not then get the other adapter.

Avoid any kind of Teflon tape as it can just muck up a clean seat.

Oh and as far as running it till warm / hot then testing, don't do that, leave it cold, that will give you a better idea if it needs work.
Think about it, It's cold when you go out to start it, not warm, and that is when it is most critical for there to be good compression. :)