L3800 Steering Leak - Found it but . . . . ?

apeckham

Equipment
L3800HST, Buhler 6' Finish Mower, Land Pride APS500, Land Pride RB3774
Feb 24, 2014
Corning, IA, USA
L3800 HST with 270 hours. Started seeing some small oil drips under the steering power assist box at the front of the tractor. Finally warmed up so I took the loader off and got it in the shop to take a good look. Cleaned everything up and started tractor, didn't take long to see it was leaking around the lock nut, see picture. Looked at parts diagram and see there is an "O" ring #150. Is that O ring just behind the jam nut or do you have to take everything apart?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
That looks like o ring seals somewhere down in the bore. Im guessing, thats a pressure adjuster of sorts, would check workshop manual before tearing into it. Wouldnt want to change pressure/relief settting.

apeckham

Equipment
Feb 24, 2014
Corning, IA, USA
Thanks guys!

I did find a L3200 WSM on line that I looked through. Looks like you need special pressure setting tools to set the relief valve properly after reassembly. I assume the L3200 steering box is the same as the L3800.

I think this one is over my head so a trip to the dealer is in order.

Hate it when I can't fix something. :mad:

apeckham

Equipment
Feb 24, 2014
Corning, IA, USA
So I got to thinking about this and thought that since the O ring is in the cylinder (thanks Wolfman and Tooljunkie) that maybe if I moved the adjusting bolt some it might reseal. So I broke loose the jam nut and turned the adjuster out 3 turns, back in 3 turns and re-tightened the jam nut. Have put about 30 minutes on the meter and there isn't one sign of a leak. Keep your fingers crossed, I am!!! :D