Fuel pump problem?

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Good morning, I started up the bx this morning and she started with no issues and ran smoothly for about 3 or 4 mins. then it started sounding rough and crapped out. I tried to start her again and noticed that ticking sound started and then stopped. She turned over and started, sounded rough and died. I repeated this two more times and the results were the same.

So my question is: do you think the fuel pump is bad and needs replacement or could these symptoms suggest some other problem?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Start with replacing the 2 filters, could be water in the filters.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Do a google seach for Diesel Gelling and ask yourself if cold weather and summer diesel on board could be your problem.

Here is the first search result to save you the trouble.
http://fuelandfriction.com/weekend-warrior/how-to-fix-gelled-diesel-fuel/

Other forum members report going to TSC and similar stores looking for additives to prevent problems and the shelves are empty. This years cold weather has caught many with this problem.

Dave M7040

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Do a google seach for Diesel Gelling and ask yourself if cold weather and summer diesel on board could be your problem.

Here is the first search result to save you the trouble.
http://fuelandfriction.com/weekend-warrior/how-to-fix-gelled-diesel-fuel/

Other forum members report going to TSC and similar stores looking for additives to prevent problems and the shelves are empty. This years cold weather has caught many with this problem.

Dave M7040
I think it might have been diesel gelling. I was gone for a few days, the weather warmed considerably and voila! my BX runs perfectly. The fix was apparently waiting for spring.

AlexHutton

Equipment
Kubota BX2660
Feb 15, 2015
Sperry
Like said above, just replace the 2 fuel filters, this is a problem with just about all BX models as because the fuel filter micron is extremely small, therefor they clog at what my hours were 460 hours, and 920 hours and now which is 1,145.8 hours. It is usually not the fuel pump, because I have never experienced a problem with a fuel pump so far on any BX models, as far as I know of. But there is one way you can tell if your fuel pump is working or not. Once you turn on the key, you should hear a humming noise, and if you hear that noise when you turn on the key, then your fuel pump is working, if not, then it is not working.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good morning, I started up the bx this morning and she started with no issues and ran smoothly for about 3 or 4 mins. then it started sounding rough and crapped out. I tried to start her again and noticed that ticking sound started and then stopped. She turned over and started, sounded rough and died. I repeated this two more times and the results were the same.

So my question is: do you think the fuel pump is bad and needs replacement or could these symptoms suggest some other problem?
I second,third and fourth the filter change......

how old is the fuel?