Do Not Buy a Kubota

barbjd

Apr 15, 2010
Phoenix AZ
I have owned a Kubota M8540 tractor for two years. From day one the tractor has had a noise in the shuttle shift. I have talked to everyone from the dealer that sold me this horrid machine to the head man in corporate Kubota. This tractor has been in the repair shop 3 times and the problem still exists. I am fed up with the situation after fighting for 2 years for a fair resolution to this problem to no avail. I advise anyone thinking of purchasing a Kubota product to think long and hard before you take the plunge. Kubota is a bad company to do business with and BUYER BEWARE!

Last edited:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I advise anyone thinking of purchasing a Kubota product to think long and hard before you take the plunge.

Ok, I'm thinking..........I'm thinking...........I'm thinking...............I'm thinking..........I'm thinking...........I'm thinking...............I'm thinking..........I'm thinking...........I'm thinking...............I'm thinking..........I'm thinking...........I'm thinking...............I'm thinking..........I'm thinking...........I'm thinking...............I'm thinking..........I'm thinking...........I'm thinking...............I'm thinking :rolleyes:

Oh who am I kidding, I couldn't afford another tractor if my life depended on it and prase the lord I do have a great Orange Kubota.....hell ya :D

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
A read-around the Forums indicated that other owners of this model
have the same symptom ( not suggesting problem ) . Have you been
in communication with them and driven another example for
comparison ? Is this issue a functional problem or a sound annoyance ?

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow, this thread title sure caught my eye. :eek:

I have to agree with Vic. Your complaint needs to get directed to the proper channels. You have been given the impression that there is nothing more to be done but I doubt that came from KTC.

Good luck with your concern. YOu really should be able to enjoy your orange as much as we all do.

DianeR

Banned
Oct 27, 2010
Boise, ID
There are lots of people who will disagree with you on that comment. I love my Kubota and would never buy anything else. I am sorry about your situation but it is not the norm.

barbjd

Apr 15, 2010
Phoenix AZ
Thanks to all who have replied to my post. I appreciate your imput. There will always be arguments for and against anything in this life. I know Kubota can be a good product and most owners think they have a good tractor as I once did but I am going to move on to another brand. Good luck to all Kubota owners and may you never go through the horrid experience that I did.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
I am going to take a different tack on this issue as I have been on and around tractors since I was a child in the 1960's. A gear tractor has straight cut gears and I have yet found any of them to be totally quiet in gear. No matter what the lubrication you are using a straight cut gears are going to be noisy. My fathers ol John Deere Model A had the one of the worst sounding transmission gear boxes on the face of the earth and you could hear the transmission sounding off over the roar of the engine and now my younger brother owns that old Model A and he restored and rebuilt the entire tractor a few years ago and the transmission still sounds like it is filled with rocks.

Tractors use straight cut gears for one reason and that is they are the strongest gears that money can buy. A beveled gear will always be quieter but you are making a compromise when using a beveled gears as they are not as strong and on a tractor where down time is something a farmer least needs. That tractor was bought to be worked hard and put away muddy. My old Kubota L1801 was a gear tractor and it had a particular funny sound but the transmission never failed (the clutch did) but that was the original clutch in the tractor so after over 30 plus years wear parts are going to wear.

ON a hydrostatic tractor like my current tractor I get a whine that can be heard over the engine and it is perfectly normal. I hear it and I know my tractor is working and doing the job I bought it to do.

I am not saying that all tractors make the noise but maybe finding someone else that also owns the same model tractor and seeing if that person also has the same noise and I betcha that on your particular model it probably will, if that is the case then it is the nature of that model if it does not make the same noise then you probably do have a issue.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Well, before you sign up at www.greentractortalks.com**,

** you actually clicked on that link, what were you thinking, you have an orange, right!!!

R O F L ******* L O L

You are such a strategic dog................ that is so funny. :D :D :D :D :D

I grew up with "red" Farmall but I call the shots on my farm now. :D

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Farmers do not switch 'paint'. If your dad farmed with 'red', you farm red. If green was on the farm in 1953 when you were a kid doing chores, you've got a yard full of green in 2010 on the family farm you are now working, it's just the way it is.
This can be truer than you think. I have two tractors to use on my ten acres.

1. The Allis Chalmers WD that Grandpa bought my dad when he was ten. This does all the "real tractor" type chores for me, mainly because I have most of the implemants to go with it.

2. The other orange tractor, my little Kubota L175. It came to me with a Woods L59 mower underneath it. It is my lawnmower.

Grandpa actually bought two WDs in 1950, one for him and one for Dad. When he and Dad quit farming, my other grandpa bought Dad's. Dad always said that it ran stronger than any other WD they had ever seen.

I was looking for a B or C Allis with a belly mower, when the L175 fell into my lap.

Like I tell my daughter, "Real tractors are orange."

Robert

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
You're going with a different brand huh? Well, you'll be back! I have driven all the big names in tractors and nobody builds them as good as Kubota. Spend some time perusing this forum and almost immediately you'll notice the high level of loyalty to this brand, dare i say the highest. Pretty lame for you to make completely unfounded accusations based on ignorance! Educate yourself first.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
For what it ias worth I had an OLD (and I mean old) issue with my B2410 stearing. After almost 1000 hours I systematically ran it up the Kubota chain and guess what.... I got the parts sent to me (through my local dealer) for free and I made the mods myself.

End of story.... the steering is now perfect.

Folks,,,, if you have sorry ass dealers you have to get past them. Kubota does not produce junk and does stand behind solid documented claims. My advice to you is to seek a dedicated Kubota dealer rather than a "farm equipment store".

Butch

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I agree with Butch. Your dealer makes all the difference in the world. I own an old B8200, lets face it, they are not going to make a whole lot of coin off of me. Yet the parts guy has gone out of his way several time to make sure I got what I needed. That is not just Kubota. The New Holland dealer in town here just got me a parts book for an mtd mower sold in europe and got me the parts. Does the dealer know what the parts people are doing. Yes his office is right beside the parts desk with an opening to the parts desk. Jes my two cents.:D Dusty

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I have a M8540 that had a similar problem, what kind of noise and when do you get it?
That is if you haven't all ready given up.

E/S

mwq

Jun 26, 2011
mcminnville,tn.
not an expert..but this is nursery country big time..hundreds of them..ratio of "botas" to "jd.yanmar,and mf, os better than 4 to 1..there is a reason for that..and has nothing to do with what you grew up with..just what works...only problem here is dealers have more business than they can take care of and are a "little "snoby" you will be hard pressed to beat the orange...i'v still got my 1980..and only trouble i have had came from my stupidy not the tractors..but the dealer is a weak or strong link in anything..good luck

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
not an expert..but this is nursery country big time..hundreds of them..ratio of "botas" to "jd.yanmar,and mf, os better than 4 to 1..there is a reason for that..and has nothing to do with what you grew up with..just what works...only problem here is dealers have more business than they can take care of and are a "little "snoby" you will be hard pressed to beat the orange...i'v still got my 1980..and only trouble i have had came from my stupidy not the tractors..but the dealer is a weak or strong link in anything..good luck

Welcome to OTT....................and well said. :)

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yes, I realize this is an old thread, but I am a new member. We are on our second year with an M8540 HDC and to date the only "problem" was when we lost a fuel line mowing stuff we really probably shouldn't have been in. My son simply crawled under there and in short order had it up and running again.

I am not saying that the OP did not have problems only that the problem(s) encountered are not on all 8540s and that we have found in owning Kubotas since 2003, we have found them to be very high quality and reliable. We own other brands as well, so this is not a brand loyalty thing for me.

We had/have problems with a "green machine", but I would never say not to buy one or that our situation is indicative of what to expect from when buying one.

I did see something kinda funny in a Case/Kubota dealership not long ago. On the wall in the service department it said, "Friends don't let friends drive green tractors".:)

Like I said, we have orange, red, green, gray etc.

magicheater

Equipment
B26, B7800, Auto Tach-N-Go
Interesting to note that the OP had 6 posts when he started this thread and still has 6 posts. I don't have that many, just saying. Forums often take the brunt of someones frustration when they don't get the satisfaction they think they deserve. I wonder what color tractor he has now?

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Interesting to note that the OP had 6 posts when he started this thread and still has 6 posts. I don't have that many, just saying. Forums often take the brunt of someones frustration when they don't get the satisfaction they think they deserve. I wonder what color tractor he has now?
All too often I see these threads, "Beware, do not buy Kubota, Kioti, JD, Yamaha, Toyota etc."

Machines can fail and anyone can make a bad one or even model. We had miserable experiences with a Case, Massey Ferguson and even yes JOHN DEERE. I don't knock the brand and certainly don't tell people not to buy them.

I like Kubotas, but still consider other brands. Thee of the last bought were Kubota and one John Deere.

Oh, and still running our trouble free M8540.