Kubota tractors disign for hills is missing

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi all,
there are many small acres hilly property. To work with tractor not designed for this conditions is dangerous and in the past it cost many lives. I have tipped over B24 and I was lucky to have only bruised back. I have old tractor for hills and it is not in good condition after so many years. My new tractors are Kubota’s and I have them customised to my liking and I am happy with them. Unfortunately I cannot take them where I go with the old one or Fiat 64 DT, with wheels widely spread. So I wonder why Kubota does not have tractor with low centre of gravity and wide spread wheels, opposite to rice paddy design. I have tried to contact Kubota Japan in the past, but I cannot get any answer. It is very sad if company ignores good customers. It does not happen in Australia. Your input as a customer is welcomed because it leads to development of better product. So do you agree with my comment?

Regards Frank.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Not the case with our old L3750DT, rear ag tires set out wide. It is the most stable rig I've used on our hills here and we have some steep stuff.

Our newer L3800DT is not as stable, because it doesn't have as wide a wheel stance, or as much wheel base length. But it still does fine if one is paying attention though.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
A guy down the road from me has a kubota (don't remember the size) and his back tires are spread out over 8' wide on factory wheels. He cuts some really bad hills and that thing acts like a orange billy goat.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I had put dualies on my old L185DT - adjustable wheels were not an option for it. The rear end became about 66", and it was quite stable.
On my L3200DT adjustable wheels are not an option with R4 or turf tires. I went to ebay to get 2-/2" spacers, to bring the width again to about 66". I'm quite happy with that width - about the same as the FEL blade.
I also am unhappy that Kubota does not have adjustable wheels on most of their R4 tires - you have to buy spacers just to put on tire chains!
It won't do us much good, but it would certainly make for happier future buyers to have a reasonable width option for hilly ground. Even now I'd probably spring for new adjustable rear wheels, if Kubota offered them at a wholesale price...
Great thread!!

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
My 2003 B7400 had an adjustable rear axel. I had it set wide and it did hills pretty well.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I've not seen adjustable wheels with R4s on any brand, but I haven't looked hard either. All our tractors with Ag tires have been adjustable and was just another good reason to go with Ag tires.

I set the rears all the way out on our L3800 and it made a good difference. Loaded helped a bunch and I plan to add wheels weights soon. 3pth weight with FEL will help stick one to the ground. I mow with FEL removed, which much more stable for me.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
R4 tires don't have adjustable wheels because they are already wider and heavier than ag tires which puts more strain on the axles and seals. R4 tires are made to be on job sites, Turf tires in the yard and Ag tires on the farm. WAIT, haven't fired any shots and don't want to go to war. I'm just saying what the intended purpose were for these tires when they were designed. Since most of us can't afford a tractor for each job we do, now is when we run into the situation where one type tire can't be the perfect choice for every task.

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi All,
thank you for your response, sadly enough yesterday two tractors rollover happened in Victoria. One died and other is in hospital with very serious injuries. Wheels and tyres can help, but the way to go is tractor designed for steep slopes, it is not a rocket science. Like mention before, spreading the wheels creates more stress on everything and creates more problems. I believe Kubota has the engineering skill and the money to design machine with low centre of gravity and wide spread wheels for more safety margin before it rolls over. Even just to undertake market research to find out what are people looking for at their hilly property. They need a bit of encouragement from time to time too. I am surprised that Kubota America doesn’t have more input in decision. American market is one of the biggest on word for Kubota.
Regards Frank.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
A Kubota tracked skid steere would be the toy to use on a hillside without flipping over. Its low to the ground and has a wide stance with the tracks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hi All,
thank you for your response, sadly enough yesterday two tractors rollover happened in Victoria. One died and other is in hospital with very serious injuries. Wheels and tyres can help, but the way to go is tractor designed for steep slopes, it is not a rocket science. Like mention before, spreading the wheels creates more stress on everything and creates more problems. I believe Kubota has the engineering skill and the money to design machine with low centre of gravity and wide spread wheels for more safety margin before it rolls over. Even just to undertake market research to find out what are people looking for at their hilly property. They need a bit of encouragement from time to time too. I am surprised that Kubota America doesn’t have more input in decision. American market is one of the biggest on word for Kubota.
Regards Frank.
Other than orchard tractors, which are low because of branches, no manufacturer that I know of specifically makes a tractor for hillsides. Correct me if I am wrong. Simply put, if the hill is that steep, you probably don't need to be on a farm tractor. Manufacturers are in business to make money, not tractors. They have to cater to the money, and that is what the masses use- a typical farm tractor. I don't see Kubota as any narrower than other tractors- there are some models that are skinnier than others, but you find that in all brands. Even if you aren't able to move the wheels out, add duals to it. Or, go up and down instead of sidehill. I don't see Kubota as negligent for not making a hill-specific tractor. The liability alone probably keeps them from doing it.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

Like this ?

E/S
They are pretty narrow- my local dealer has one on the lot, and I looked it over real well. I wouldn't be as comfortable in it as I would a tractor with wide, loaded tires.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I use my L3830 to cut brush on the hill sides you just have to be carefull and watch out for holes and rocks. I havent had a problem but I atack the hillside staight up and down none of the angle stuff, and if that doesnt work I go back to the barn and get one of the Cats.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Sounds more like work that is not suitable for a conventional tractor, but more in line with a CAT type tracked piece of equipment.

You have to use the equipment within the design parameteres, tractors have specific terrain and inclination design limits. If those parameters exceed what you have, then there are really only two smart choices.

#1 do not perform the work. Why anyone would risk there life cutting brush on a steep hillside is beyond me. I mean, really, is cutting that paticular bush or branch worth your life or a lifetime of being paralized?

#2 Buy / rent the rquipment that is rated for the terrain and inclination that you are operating on.

I realize that many would think that they could not buy the proper piece of equipment due to costs, but is your life worth even a few hundred dollars? If so, then renting would be in order!

just food for thought. David

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If it's that bloody steep mate, get a heard of sheep in there and forget about the tractor!

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi all,
to be able to work on hilly property needs more then goats and horses. Even bulldozers are not suitable as they do too much damage. I did have D4 Caterpillar and sold it. Here in Australia we did have 2 different tractors and they were 99% suitable for hills. There is a link to see one of them. http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/items/392015/tractor-williames-wildcat-1973. I have one of them, it is more of working platform with quick attach FEL, back hoe, hydraulic slasher, post hole digger, ripper and more. Those tractors were produced in small numbers (one a week) and it was not sustainable, production ceased. My old wildcat needs a lot of work and I would buy new one if I could.
Regards Frank.

kubseki

Dec 17, 2012
Australia
Hi Frank

Do you have wheels spacers on your BX? makes it a bit safer.
The Wildcat/Austrak wasn't a tractor in the conventional style, but I have seen current equivalents sold in Aus, the Ventrac and the AEBI Terratrac are two that come to mind.

Cheers

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi kubseki and All,
I have been involved with tractors and dossers for 25+ years as a hobby, partly because of my 30 acres hobby farm is hilly and I do love engineering design. Jeff Williams is a genius and Wildcat reflects that. He made about 5 different designs and also build some to customers specification. I do remember his demonstration driving his wildcat on back of tip track 45°. The simplicity of this machine was amazing. There is no machine on the market to come even close, at least what I know of. And as for spacers, Kubota does not recommend them, not even reversing the rims on the front, too much stress on bearings and steering. Why not to offer wider front axle???? I am not picking on Kubota product, I believe they have excellent compact tractors and they are capable to fill the gap on the market. Only time will tell. Regards Frank

kubseki

Dec 17, 2012
Australia
I put 2 inch spacers on the rear of my BX2360, cannot go any wider as the rear tires will hit the scalp wheels of the mower deck. I agree about the increased stress on the bearings but since this machine is only used for mowing I reckon it will be ok.
If anyone is interested in the type of machine Frank is describing search for AUSTRAK on youtube

cheers