L295DT Timing Slipped - why?

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Well.....I got the D1301-A motor rebuild completed!
It took a while. I worked on this when I had the spare time.

Things I learned:

The reason the motor was filling with "oil" was because the seal on the hydraulic gear driven pump from the motor was shot. This allowed the hydraulic/transmission fluid to get into the engine crank case and fill the diesel motor with "oil"....making it come out under pressure from the dip stick and valve cover vent tube.

Don't do a half a$$'d job....trying to reason why stuff "should be ok". I did this with the injectors and the piston rod bearings.
Had the injectors rebuile by Diesel Fuel Injector Service in Portland, Oregon. They did an awesome job, fast, and incredible reasonably priced. HIGHLY recomend these professionals!
Changed the rod bearings on the second tear-down.....and replaced the piston rings (and one piston that I dropped and broke the skirt on).

I lerned that you don't have to take the whole front end apart to remove it from the front of the motor so you can get at the motor.....the second time.

I learned that if you buy a 46mm socket from Grainger and cut it in half and weld some square tube between the two halves, you will have your own custom deep well 46mm socket to access the crank nut. I can make these if anyone is interested!

I learned that if you hook up the hydraulic hoses backwards, you WILL be replacing the same seal you found bad in the first place and changing the engine oil AGAIN!

I have learned a lot about patience and persaverence!

Ok.....I "officially" got it done today, and it's going "home" on Saturday, the 6th.....about 14 months later.

Next!

I really enjoyed this project...........most of the time!

Attachments

Last edited: