L2201DT: oil leaking from PTO gearstick

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
Heathcote, VIC, Australia
All,

After months of trouble-free use since I was last here, Sid the tractor has developed an alarming problem. I was just mowing some grass and I noticed that oil is leaking out from the base of the PTO gearstick. Has anyone seen this before, and what do I do about it?

It's only just started happening, was fine last week.

MrChuck

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I would suggest you check the fluid level and the transmission vent. Mine was doing that for a while till I found that the vent was plugged. Seems to have taken care of it since I figured that out.

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
I would suggest you check the fluid level and the transmission vent. Mine was doing that for a while till I found that the vent was plugged. Seems to have taken care of it since I figured that out.
To elaborate: 2201 is very similar to 245, but I only have an almost unreadable photocopy of the manual. I'm hoping the vent will be in much the same place.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
The vent on mine is under the seat, points out to the left. It's a curved piece of tubing maybe 3" long, sort of a question mark shape. It was threaded into the case. I broke mine off trying to get it out so I chased the threads with a standard 1/8 NPT and used regular pipe fittings to make a new one. Dealer said they were still available but I didn't want to wait on a new one.

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
The vent on mine is under the seat, points out to the left. It's a curved piece of tubing maybe 3" long, sort of a question mark shape. It was threaded into the case. I broke mine off trying to get it out so I chased the threads with a standard 1/8 NPT and used regular pipe fittings to make a new one. Dealer said they were still available but I didn't want to wait on a new one.
Yep, found it right where you said. It was totally clogged up with oily mud. I've attached a picture of the little blighter so that anyone else who is interested in this knows what to look for.

So, all cleaned up now. I'l try the tractor out again this afternoon and post back the results.

Could be another one for the archives...

Attachments

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
Thanks MagKarl, this fixed it. Been operating for around two hours with no problems. Last week I saw the oil coming out after just half an hour.

For those who are going to try this maintenance, make sure you get the vent off before trying to clean it. If the guff I got out is any indication, you do NOT want this stuff in your transmission, so don't just push it through with a pipe cleaner or piece of wire while it's still in place.

Getting the pipe off can be tricky, if it hasn't been done before it's going to be very tight. I used a shifting spanner to get purchase on the curved part of the pipe and very gingerly started it moving that way. I can easily see how it could break off. The threaded part is quite thin.

Once you've moved it a bit, you're home free and it should spin off reasonably freely.

There now. No need to wait a year, unlike my last cry for help!

Thanks again OTT.

Attachments

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Just an idea I use a piece of hose that fits the vent and a small inline fuel filter. It keeps the crud and insects out of the vent.:D

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Glad to hear you got it fixed. I would have replied sooner but I have a heck of a time logging into this site sometimes.