North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can you get any pictures of the set-up.
It always helps me spark ideas and solutions seeing something.

I know it's sometimes too tough to do considering the location.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Another thought for you. Is this a RE-MANUFACTURED clutch you are using or a brand new assembly? I used to work on ten-wheeler trucks and farm tractors, and in the past have had more than one re-man clutch assembly come that didn't work. The reasons varied, but usually it was because of poor quality workmanship. Things like bent fingers, cracked components and so on. I think they sometimes just slap them together and call it good enough and move on to the next one. It usually took very close examination to determine the problem comparing it with the old one. Basically, what it boils down to is that you can't always assume the part you are putting in is right. You may have done everything else correctly but it won't work because the part is faulty.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Computer crashed yesterday making this a PITA:(

In the second pic notice how low in the center the clutch release arms are.

Attachments

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Bap:

Before I ordered the parts I called and asked them if they were new or re-manufactured. They said that they were new. I got them from the following link, scroll half way down. I got all 4 pieces together.

http://www.madisontractor.com/32425-14200-assembly-dual-clutch-8-5.html

Faulty parts, been there before.:( I have already called them about a potential problem but I need to verify that the flywheel was milled correctly first.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Had a nice long talk with a gentleman from the service dept. at Kubota corp. USA today. I got the reference values for the flywheel. Where the first stage contacts the flywheel it has a tolerance of +- 0.0025", mine was milled to +0.0051 over tolerance. I had it re-milled today, readjusted the clutch, bolted the flywheel clutch assembly and first section of the trans back together.

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STILL DOES NOT WORK.:mad:

TWO problems not just one.

This just leaves a defective clutch pack from the factory.

Haaa, Christmas is coming. Maybe it "might" be ready by the time Santa comes.:(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's just so frustrating when you do everything right and something still doesn't work.:mad:
Here's hoping new parts fix your problem!;)

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Second new clutch pack arrived last night. This afternoon I adjusted and bolted up the second new clutch. It was much easier to bolt up and fit onto the step up on the flywheel MUCH better than the first.:cool: Bolted up the trans and it still will not disengage the second stage! The disengaging leavers are too low in the center of the clutch assembly to allow for enough travel to lift the second stage pressure plate. I guess I am going to have to try and find another manufacture for the clutch assembly.:mad: :mad::mad::mad:

Pic's of second clutch bolted in place.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I'm back to the throwout bearing being in the wrong location.

Is there, was there, a spacer on the backside of the TB? did they press it on too far?

Is the bearing thinner than the old one? Is the fork in correctly?

I'm taking a blind shot as I did not take it apart nor am I familiar with your machine but it's got to be something with the TB.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
FWIW, I replaced the TB on my Jeep last year and it is possible to wrongly install it, fortunately I noticed before installing the trans.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
A couple of thoughts that I have run into before with these type of clutches in big trucks. 1. Was the clutch assembly in one piece or did you have to stack it up and put it on. I ran into troubles before with the clutches that have a secondary flywheel in the middle that you can put that piece in backwards because it would fir but actually the ears that held it in place were actually not in the center and if put in wrong the clutch would not release. 2. Could you post some pictures of the flywheel and the pieces of the clutch not bolted in place? Also a picture of the throwout bearing on the forks. It might help to see the individual parts to see what might be going wrong. Clutches, particularly ones with more than one stage can be awfully frustrating particularly if the parts are not marked well. Good ones will have a mark on it saying which side is the flywheel side, but many don't. I am sure the answer is there somewheres but it can be extremely frustrating getting there. The worst thing can sometimes be getting the two clutch disc splines to line up. I assume you are using a line up tool when you put the clutch on? Don't give up we will all figure it out sooner or latter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think I might have found your problem!:D
Picture's of the throw out bearing will help me out, a lot!;)

Give me the part #'s that you have for the clutch and for the throw out bearing, that you have, only if you have them.

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I think I might have found your problem!:D
Picture's of the throw out bearing will help me out, a lot!;)

Give me the part #'s that you have for the clutch and for the throw out bearing, that you have, only if you have them.
Link to where I got them: http://www.madisontractor.com/32425-14200-assembly-dual-clutch-8-5.html

Pics uploaded.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I'm back to the throwout bearing being in the wrong location.

Is there, was there, a spacer on the backside of the TB?
There was not a spacer in back of the bearing. The new one was pressed on in the same way that the old one was.

did they press it on too far?
I do not believe so, It was pressed on by the machine shop that milled the flywheel. The release rods assembly bottoms out and start to bend before the clutch peddle is fully depressed, (starts to flex where the second stage should begin to release).

Is the bearing thinner than the old one? Is the fork in correctly?
The bearings are the sane thickness. In order to access the grease fitting, the fork can only go on one way.

I'm taking a blind shot as I did not take it apart nor am I familiar with your machine but it's got to be something with the TB.

Thanks for your help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Please sit down and make sure there are no sharp instruments around you!

Did you know there is 3 different throw out bearing hubs and 2 different throw out bearings and 3 different clutch disk assemblies for your model?

Sadly sounds like you have one wrong clutch disk#.
One is 35290-14400
Second disk is 35260-14400

Edit transposed # and Parts!

Last edited: