GF1800 Timing..etc.

bcomstock15

Equipment
GF1800 4wd
Nov 12, 2011
Calgary, Canada
Hi bcomstock,
I sent you a PM for a service manual for your tractor. Please let me know when you have it.
Thanks!
Ed
Ed, I see your another hurtin' albertan haha. Thank you for the manual, i was going to buy one of these on ebay but they were too expensive. It will be very helpful again and again im sure.

Attached is a picture from the WSM, showing how to calibrate the gears. However, this is precisely what i did.

This is really getting fun now :cool:

Attachments

bcomstock15

Equipment
GF1800 4wd
Nov 12, 2011
Calgary, Canada
Progress made: found another problem. 1 step forward, 2 back?

I took the valve cover off (or whatever its called) the top cover :). It revealed the valves, two sets out of three are quite scorched, and one rod is bent as well as you can see in the attached picture. I guess ill tackle it this week.. can i change that part from here? or do i have to take the head (?) off?

Do you think this is the cause of the exhaust blow back through the intake?:confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
The burnt look on the machinery you were concerned about is no worry. The end closest to the fan stays a little cooler, the engine is hotter toward the rear and oil bakes on more and more as you move away from the cooling effects of the fan.

That bent push rod is a worry though, it also looks like the rocker arm on that valve is tweaked a bit also, or maybe it is the lighting/shadows. That head should come off and go to the shop to have the valves also checked for bending.

Why that should bend a push rod when it was spot on time is baffling to say the least.

bcomstock15

Equipment
GF1800 4wd
Nov 12, 2011
Calgary, Canada
That bent push rod is a worry though, it also looks like the rocker arm on that valve is tweaked a bit also, or maybe it is the lighting/shadows. That head should come off and go to the shop to have the valves also checked for bending.
Damn, was hoping to fix this thing myself. obviously its gotten out of my realm though. Should i bring it to a kubota dealership? or a special diesel engine repair shop? any idea roughly how costly this could get?

Thanks.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Damn, was hoping to fix this thing myself. obviously its gotten out of my realm though. Should i bring it to a kubota dealership? or a special diesel engine repair shop? any idea roughly how costly this could get?

Thanks.
You aren't that far from Service Department Vic ( he's just over at Arrowwood)
Send him a PM, He'll likely take a look for you. Just guessing from what you have told us I think this will be fairly costly to get into satisfactory running condition.
Ed

bcomstock15

Equipment
GF1800 4wd
Nov 12, 2011
Calgary, Canada
Hello Service Dept Vic,

I sent you a PM a few days ago, asking if you'd consider working on this machine if i brought it down to you?

This is my first project beyond oil changes, and it's gotten way beyond what i feel i can just learn on the fly. That and i don't have much more that a wrench and socket set, and it looks like id need to invest in some other tools for this job.

If you'd take it on it would be greatly appreciated, if its not something your interested in, is there someone you could recommend?

Thank You.

bcomstock15

Equipment
GF1800 4wd
Nov 12, 2011
Calgary, Canada
I agree with Eserv here Brandon in that you may have a pig in a poke here...
Hello again Vic, I don't mean to pester you, but do you think this is something you could take on? i want to make sure its in the right hands.. even if you can't look at it right away, it's not doing me any good here, i can drop it off whenever is convenient for you. If you'd like to email me, you can do so at bcomstock15@gmail.com, or call my cell if you'd like @ 403-470-8206 . Thank You.

bcomstock15

Equipment
GF1800 4wd
Nov 12, 2011
Calgary, Canada
So, still haven't made any progress here.. I've been trying to get ahold of service dept. vic on these forums, but so far no luck. Does anyone have the contact information for the shop he works at so i could call him directly (PM me) I see there are a few people from alberta on here, if i can't get it in to vic, can someone recommend another shop in the area to me? (I'm near Calgary)

Thank You.