3 Point control lever

comforthill

Equipment
B2620,back blade,mower,tiller,loader,middlebuster,landscape rake
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
Our 2012 B2620 has a problem of not letting the 3 point down at times. I have checked everything and it looks like it is well lubricated and there is sufficient oil for the hydro to run it. Looking at it yesterday it appears that the lever is twisted to the front. I suspect that the twisting was due to excessive use of force to lower the 3 point. Now before we bought it ( from the wife's sister) it had never had a PTO attachment on it just a middle buster. It does have a belly (mid mount) mower that this tractor was used mostly for. I see a limiter at the top but not at the bottom of the selector slot for the lever. Is that normal for the B2620? It appears that the twist is enough to make the lever hit the bottom of the slot causing you to have to push hard to get the 3 point to lower. Now to the question.
Should I straighten it out and try that or buy a new lever. I am leaning to straightening it out. Doesn't appear to be a big job getting it off or on just a pain. Should I add a piece of steel to the top to help strengthen it from twisting or leave it as it is? Tried getting a picture but my camera isn't working. Thanks for any help or info. Roger

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pull it, straighten it out, reinstall and see how the operation of it goes.
Most likely that's all it will ever need. ;)

Lewiston, ID, or Lewiston, ME, Awwww... bet, lewiston, MI ???

Last edited:

comforthill

Equipment
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
Ok, pulled the lever straightened it out attached started tractor and it functioned as it should. Finished tightening and restarted the tractor and it is locked in the up position. Now as this is my first tractor with a hydraulic rear lift does the 3 point need weight on it to actually work as it should? I have lubed and checked everything else that I can think of to cause no binding. Thanks.
Roger

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Your three point will work better with weight (implement) attached. There is only lift pressure (no down pressure) on the three point hitch. So, only gravity is working for you in the down position.

Check to see if there is a black knob under the front of the seat seat or down on the floor. That is the drop rate control knob. Opening up the valve will allow your three point hitch to drop faster (or drop without an implement connected). It also controls the rate (speed) of dropping a mid mount mower deck. It often gets overlooked and sometimes needs to be lubed.

comforthill

Equipment
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
Your three point will work better with weight (implement) attached. There is only lift pressure (no down pressure) on the three point hitch. So, only gravity is working for you in the down position.

Check to see if there is a black knob under the front of the seat seat or down on the floor. That is the drop rate control knob. Opening up the valve will allow your three point hitch to drop faster (or drop without an implement connected). It also controls the rate (speed) of dropping a mid mount mower deck. It often gets overlooked and sometimes needs to be lubed.
I found that and cracked it open but not by much. My problem is that the lever reaches a hard spot and does not go past that to lower it. It has done this periodically since we got it last fall but up until last week when we bought a new tiller we never really played with the 3 point or belly mower lift. The mower is off and in the garage. Having this problem led me to find the bent lever. I think I just might be missing something. We used it this winter to mainly to move snow in the drives. Thanks. Roger

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
One of the reasons to never buy from family- even if something happens that's normal wear and tear, there's maybe that little something in the back of your mind about whether they knew about it. Of course, if you buy from family really cheaply, then there's the risk that they always have it in the back of their mind that they got screwed. lol

Then again, it usually works out. And no, this post doesn't help at all with the issue.

comforthill

Equipment
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
One of the reasons to never buy from family- even if something happens that's normal wear and tear, there's maybe that little something in the back of your mind about whether they knew about it. Of course, if you buy from family really cheaply, then there's the risk that they always have it in the back of their mind that they got screwed. lol

Then again, it usually works out. And no, this post doesn't help at all with the issue.
That was in the back of my mind. Wasn't bought cheap but was less than what ones of the same style,year and hours were advertised for. It was a big consideration as to whether to buy new or used though. Thanks.
Roger

comforthill

Equipment
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
Well we solved the problem. On the lift arm for the 3 point there is a pin with a hole in it to let the limiter rod pass thru. This pin is held on by a C clip on the back of the lift arm. Removed the quick hitch removed the snap ring holding the lift arm and the nuts and spring on the limit rod. The pin was froze into the lift arm not allowing it to rotate as it should thus binding on the limiter rod. locking the 3 point up. Removed the pin cleaned and polished inside and outside greased it up put it in assembled all with proper clips and reinstalled quick hitch. Fired the tractor up and it operates as it should now. No sticking or rubbing.
This tractor set outside in North Carolina all it's life until we brought it home to Michigan. It now resides in a heated garage in the winter and a larger garage starting this summer. Thanks for all the help. I was not sure what it was but hope this may help someone else who might experience this problem. Thanks again, Roger.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
Thanks for the follow up. This is what helps our lurkers with future questions.