I hate my new L3901

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
Owned my L3901 for 2.5 years. I have about 75 hours on it and it has gone through regen about 5 times..roughly every 15 hours. I have never had to park regen. Agree with others that have said...run that thing 2500 rpm or higher. If changing implements, etc....idle down and turn it off. It is running at the low rpm's that create more soot that will eventually need to be cooked off during regen.

Love the tractor and is incredibly tough for a smallish tractor.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
No, my wording may be off.....but that was all completely replaced on both. The DPF and SCR side. The Detroit uses their One Box, but now Cummins and Volvo/Mack have gone to a similar One Box setup. My freind has a 2011 or 12 MP10 Mack and he said his is also over 6 grand like our Cummins.

And for Quazz, here is my truck. We are allowed to gross 140,000 pounds in Ontario.
When I pull those weights with my pony I rarely have issues with regens. But when I am working in town doing construction and paving with just the truck, it calls for a parked regen every two or three days. takes 40 minutes on these and burns 4.3 to 4.7 gallons of fuel and you can't move it while it's doing it.

Attachments

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I did the egr delete on my 2005 series 60 Detroit. Put 80 more go in the ecm & new bigger non wastgated turbo, new bigger intake & exhaust manifolds, had ecm reprogrammed so all would run right. Did it thru PDI (performance diesel inc) outta Utah. Wasn’t cheap but was the best 10k I’ve spent on that trk. No issues since then. I called & asked them about a delete for the Mx5800 I’m getting but not available yet. Prices have came down on their deletes since 4 years ago when I did it on my big trk & as soon as it’s available on my Kubota & the day the warranty on it is gone, so is the emissions stuff if PDI has a fix for it by then. Had a couple friends try other deletes with bad results. Mine does great since & one other guy I work with had his Cummins done in a 389 Pete less than 6 months from new. He has 1.4 million on it now with no problems. His had the DPF filter on it from factory, it just gone now. Major performance difference in both trucks & no egr or DPF issues on either any more & no codes or derates due to emissions since the deletes. If all is working good on the emissions stuff it’s no problem, but that isn’t a long lived thing with no problems on big truck motors. Will be way less hours on a tractor in my case but if it’s not on the motor, it can’t mess up. Good luck & sounds like u just need to crank up the rpm”s a good bit to have less problems with these tractors.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
No, my wording may be off.....but that was all completely replaced on both. The DPF and SCR side. The Detroit uses their One Box, but now Cummins and Volvo/Mack have gone to a similar One Box setup. My freind has a 2011 or 12 MP10 Mack and he said his is also over 6 grand like our Cummins.

And for Quazz, here is my truck. We are allowed to gross 140,000 pounds in Ontario.
When I pull those weights with my pony I rarely have issues with regens. But when I am working in town doing construction and paving with just the truck, it calls for a parked regen every two or three days. takes 40 minutes on these and burns 4.3 to 4.7 gallons of fuel and you can't move it while it's doing it.
One of my first jobs about 200 years ago was in the scale house at a gravel pit. We used an old sliding scale for weighing trucks and I remember 20 tons being about the max but I can't recall if that was net or gross. They were paid by the ton so they carried as much as they could and some unscrupulous drivers used to dump some of their load on the pit road after being weighed to avoid fines for being over weight.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You truck drivers, or truck owners, what happens when the weigh boys stop you for a rock guard, then decide to check you out real good? They find out your DPF is missing and you've tampered with the emissions controls? How do you deal with that? I ain't not truck driver obviously, but I'm curious how y'all deal with the liability of removing the stuff that's supposed to be there. I do know that the DOT cops have been TOUGH here lately in this area-and for good reason (log trucks...) and each time I see a truck stopped, being weighed, etc, it makes me wonder if they check the emissions stuff.

On the delete "kits". Are they labeled "for off-road use only"?

I know Estes trucking got nailed heavily...but are they the only company? Dunno...that's why I asked.

Last edited:

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Here in Ontario now lugbolt....if they find any signs of tampering you get no annual inspection, which means no license sticker. So far the highest fine I have heard to an owner is $13,000.

The roadside smog tests won't find anything. They are pretty simplistic. But the dealer can tell. No matter how good the delete, and even with no footprint in the ECM, they can tell as soon as they don't hear the DEF pump pumping the fluid back when you shut the engine off.

I hate this emission stuff. It nearly puts you broke. But we won't delete. At $240,000 for a new dump truck like mine, you get rid of it before the warranty is ran out.
Sell them while there is still some resale value and start over with warranty.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Got 2 level one inspections since the delete. That’s the big one they are under the trk on a creeper with. They don’t check for it being gone. They check brakes, tires, hoses, leaks, safety equipment, lights, paperwork & permits. Have only ever heard of California checking nox levels at the exhaust. My trk is too old for going out there due to epa regs anyway. Yes it said “for off-road” only on my ecm when it was reprogrammed but that sticker was easy to peel off. Was very worth it to me to do the delete on my big trk. Power, downtime, etc. yes the Detroit shop knows it’s not on there. Had an injector harness put on at the Detroit shop in Charleston last month & they knew but still worked on my trk. I pay for repairs so it don’t affect any warranty that’s been long gone on my trk for years. My local shop wants to dyno my trk to see what the hp is but won’t do it all Pro bono & I’m not interested enough to pay to see what the numbers are. I just know it’s way better than when it was new. Also, b4 the delete every time I got a new egr & they always were not under warranty, seemed to be bout $3600.

Cottonwood

Equipment
G2000. F2560
Jul 15, 2015
Courtland, MN
I had a semi with a DD13. In 365,000 mi. it never did a regen that was not during driving. Nor did I ever do a manual. And you could eat off the inside of the exhaust. So I don't miss the days of the old 8-71's and 6v-92's. Big Cam 400's anyone? Smoke as black as coal? Lol I can't even conceive of metro areas which would be enhabited by those smoke snorting dinosaurs!

markbxr400

Equipment
L3901, LA525, RC1860, SCR0660, BB1260
May 19, 2018
Magnolia Springs, aL
Just bought a used 2017 L3901 HST with 58 hours on it about 3 weeks ago. Now have about 105 hours. I have not noticed mine doing a regen, but I haven't really been looking for it.

I have just been running the tractor for all work (bush hogging, front end loader work, grapple work, etc) at the PTO540 mark (2500 rpm). When others say run at higher RPM's, do you typically run at higher than 2500 RPM (except mowing, using PTO)?

Love the tractor. Using it for hours every day to improve a couple of pieces of acreage that I just purchased.

Davad

Equipment
L4701 HST, EA Wicked Root Grapple
Aug 17, 2017
Dudley, GA
Just bought a used 2017 L3901 HST with 58 hours on it about 3 weeks ago. Now have about 105 hours. I have not noticed mine doing a regen, but I haven't really been looking for it.

I have just been running the tractor for all work (bush hogging, front end loader work, grapple work, etc) at the PTO540 mark (2500 rpm). When others say run at higher RPM's, do you typically run at higher than 2500 RPM (except mowing, using PTO)?

Love the tractor. Using it for hours every day to improve a couple of pieces of acreage that I just purchased.
I bought a used 3901HST about nine months ago and have added 86 hours to the clock. For me "higher rpms" means 2000. Of course higher than that if using the PTO, serious loader/grapple, etc.

It does regens approx every 25-30 hours; they take 10 minutes.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
i'm going on my 3rd year, i haven't seen any region or park regin that he is talking about. :p Now i have have had a few regens but thats only when i do loader work, it seems when it runs hot it has few regens. :cool:

markbxr400

Equipment
L3901, LA525, RC1860, SCR0660, BB1260
May 19, 2018
Magnolia Springs, aL
I bought a used 3901HST about nine months ago and have added 86 hours to the clock. For me "higher rpms" means 2000. Of course higher than that if using the PTO, serious loader/grapple, etc.

It does regens approx every 25-30 hours; they take 10 minutes.

I don't have a new one but I never rev over the pto rated engine speed. I don't see the need but that just my opinion of course.
Thanks. I'll just keep running it at 2500 rpm. Seems to work well for the mowing, FEL and grapple work I do. Awesome tractor - has opened up a whole new world for what I can do to enjoy my property.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess big bob or what ever his name was must have sold his tractor he aint been back