Grease, Oil, Fluids... What do you use?

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Looking to see what everyone uses for greasing, oil, and other fluids in their tractors. I've searched the forums and have found a few older posts, but would like to hear from some more people.

I'm leaning towards the Kubota branded grease personally. Does anyone else use it?

When it comes to grease, oil, fluids in general, I'm pretty OCD about it. I want the best I can use because it will pay for itself in the long run. However I also believe in overkill. Some products you're paying for a name.

So if there's something better than the Kubota branded products, please let me know.

Kubota grease: 77700-06321

Thanks!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use Amsoil 5w30 heavy duty diesel oil in my engines.

Amsoil tractor hyd/trans fluid in the hydraulics.

Amsoil polymeric off-road grease NLGI#2 with moly.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking to see what everyone uses for greasing, oil, and other fluids in their tractors. I've searched the forums and have found a few older posts, but would like to hear from some more people.

I'm leaning towards the Kubota branded grease personally. Does anyone else use it?

When it comes to grease, oil, fluids in general, I'm pretty OCD about it. I want the best I can use because it will pay for itself in the long run. However I also believe in overkill. Some products you're paying for a name.

So if there's something better than the Kubota branded products, please let me know.

Kubota grease: 77700-06321

Thanks!
This topic is about as wide open as Donald Trump's twitter account........

I like synthetic grease - sticky red, then switch colors to see what is where.....

I like either Shell rotella t-6 for engine oil, or mobile 1 diesel - or IF I can wing it - Amsoil.

For HST drive - I like S-UDT2....

Kubota does NOT make their oil, but they DO have spec's that their oil company does make for them. Many a folk will tell you what they use and like.

For filters, I use either the kubota or baldwin oil filters. For the hydraulics, I use the Kubota brand.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I agree with Hokie.
Rotella for the engine. Sudt2 for the tranny/hydraulics/front end , all the filters are Kubota. Grease is Royal Purple #2 synthetic Ultra Performance.

sjd50575

Equipment
L4740 HSTC
Dec 1, 2015
Elk Mound, WI
Mobile Delvac for the engine, Farm Tough trans hydraulic from FleetFarm (case Ih spec) and usually mobile grease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
This topic is about as wide open as Donald Trump's twitter account........

I like synthetic grease - sticky red, then switch colors to see what is where.....

I like either Shell rotella t-6 for engine oil, or mobile 1 diesel - or IF I can wing it - Amsoil.

For HST drive - I like S-UDT2....

Kubota does NOT make their oil, but they DO have spec's that their oil company does make for them. Many a folk will tell you what they use and like.

For filters, I use either the kubota or baldwin oil filters. For the hydraulics, I use the Kubota brand.

What do you mean by switch colors to see what's where? I understand that grease comes in different colors.

If the color that comes out is from the grease before you know there was some left? And if the color you're putting in comes out there wasn't any left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
Delo or Rotella, whichever is on sale.

UDT same, co-op, Tractor Supply, wherever.

I put cornhead grease in the steering gear of my 8N, works great and stays in the box. Use it in the gearcases on my '48 Adams Motor Grader too.

If I need to get into the steering gear on the L260 I just picked up I may look at using it there too.

The red sticky grease is nice, but for some areas I like the Lubriplate stuff that is white. Like on the turntable on the Adams.

For open gear faces I like Lubriplate Gear Shield, extra heavy.

And a light machine oil is nice for hinges and that sort of thing. Sometimes I just use a little of the 0-W20 I keep on hand for Mrs. Racer's Corolla. That stuff is like water. Gets into lots of tight spots to keep them loose.

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
What do you mean by switch colors to see what's where? I understand that grease comes in different colors.

If the color that comes out is from the grease before you know there was some left? And if the color you're putting in comes out there wasn't any left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Change to a tube of moly sulphide or white lithium, or something of a contrasting color (I've even seen blue grease before), and when that color is squeezing out you know you have flushed more than enough grease through the journal or whatever it is you are lubricating.

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
Is there a single grease that I can use on my B2650, LA534 loader, 60 inch mowing deck, and grapple?

The B2650 manual says to use a multi-purpose NLGI-2 grease. The loader manual says to use a grease that designates "extreme pressure" and contains Moly.

None of the Kubota dealers close to me keep the Kubota branded grease in stock. I can order it through Messicks if I need to.

I've got some Amsoil grease sitting on my shelf in the garage that's been sitting there for a few years. I bought it when I had my ATV. Would it still be alright to use?

I just want to make sure I start off right with this tractor.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use the Amsoil grease on everything and yes the grease you have should be fine.

Look at the Amsoil polymeric off-road grease. It works great for about every application. That's all I use.

gk527

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Apr 6, 2017
Central Kentucky
I use the Amsoil grease on everything and yes the grease you have should be fine.

Look at the Amsoil polymeric off-road grease. It works great for about every application. That's all I use.
I just signed up to be a dealer for Amsoil. It was $5 more than a preferred customer. I ordered the Amsoil polymeric off-road grease.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I just signed up to be a dealer for Amsoil. It was $5 more than a preferred customer. I ordered the Amsoil polymeric off-road grease.
I became a dealer so I didn't have to bug my buddy every time I needed something. You'll like that grease, it really works well. My only warning is don't get it on anything you don't want it to stay on. Anywhere it gets on clothes it's there for good. It really gets ugly when some of my work stuff gets mixed in with some of her stuff in the washer. :eek:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Rotella synthetic for the engine; Mystic JT5 for the trans. I don't like synthetic grease for stuff that doesn't get used a lot as it can harden on you. I use whatever general purpose grease I have, but this polymeric has me interested.

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
How about the different requirement of an HST trannie vs gear drive for fluid? or does it matter? I have a HST (new L2501) and will run Kubota fluid when the time comes to change only got like 4hrs on it. I am using just a multipurpose grease for the grease fitting. Every fitting looked pretty dry with the dealer delivered and my loader was popping when raising/lowering so I greased it up and that all stopped, same with brush hog tailwheel.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't like synthetic grease for stuff that doesn't get used a lot as it can harden on you.
Bucktail, I'm curious as to what brand did this to you? I have some that's in a bucket over 20 years old and it's still good. I like to hear good or bad so I'll know what to stay away from.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Bucktail, I'm curious as to what brand did this to you? I have some that's in a bucket over 20 years old and it's still good. I like to hear good or bad so I'll know what to stay away from.
I had a tube of Mobil 1 do it. A retired diesel mechanic told me that it was normal. They used it in their fleet of bread trucks and liked it, but they all got greased on a regular basis, so I went back to standard grease. I'm still a big fan of synthetic oils.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Take your work clothes to the laundromat. Get someone else's washing machine greasy.
I wear camo pants all the time so grease gets blended in and unnoticed. I try not to get it on me but you know how that goes.

I had a tube of Mobil 1 do it. A retired diesel mechanic told me that it was normal. They used it in their fleet of bread trucks and liked it, but they all got greased on a regular basis, so I went back to standard grease. I'm still a big fan of synthetic oils.
I tried it on my dirt bike and didn't like it. I only tried one tube and went on to something else. You should try the Amsoil polymeric grease. I have been using it for several years and have no complaints.