Ether destroyed engine?

Viva-la-L175

Sep 27, 2012
Murray, KY
The guy I bought my L175 from has been using ether to start it for a while now. I'd say because the glow plug wiring is broken. I've called around to various dealerships around the country and some say it will require a rebuild because of this and some say it won't. I want this to be a dependable work horse with a long long life ahead of it. What should I do?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Rework the glow plug system. Then see if the engine will start with glow plugs. DO NOT USE ETHER. If it starts on its own, then you may be fine for some time. If no start with good battery, fuel, GP's...then check the compression and go from there.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Get a compression test done on the cylinders, and have the injectors tested.
X2, if you have good compression, injectors and glow plugs you may be OK. Of course you can't check the bottom end, or the ring lands without dismantling.
Kennyd4110 said:
Yes, a diesel engine can sometimes get addicted to ether and be very difficult to start without it.
I beg to differ, if an engine has working glow plugs, compression and injectors that spray correctly the effects of previously using ether on it will have no effect. If the head is carbonized it may struggle but this is not usually caused by the use of ether.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I beg to differ, if an engine has working glow plugs, compression and injectors that spray correctly the effects of previously using ether on it will have no effect. If the head is carbonized it may struggle but this is not usually caused by the use of ether.
Ether removes the lubricating qualities of oil so the rings wear hard on the rings and cylinder walls after long term use.

It's needed only because there is another issue: Usually a non-working glow plug or grid heater system, or low compression.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ether in most kubota engines is a big no-no. It's a crutch for a worn engine or one that's glow plugs are not functioning properly. If someone's had to use either to get it started, you'll want to have the injectors checked and glow plug operation checked. If those check out fine, pull the cylinder head and oil pan, pop the pistons out and see how bad they are. Keep in mind that the smaller the engine, the more sensitive it is to scratches in the bores and ring wear. It needs to develop pressure to make enough heat to ignite the fuel. There simply isn't as much air in the chamber on a smaller engine as there is on a truck engine for instance, so any air that leaks past the rings, gaskets, injector seats, etc, is heat lost-making it harder to start.

Ether does a great job on them as far as breaking parts. Broken Rings, ring lands, pistons, piston pins, and also can (and has) bent connecting rods. Those are a few of the results of using ether on Kubota's that I've seen over the years.