Brand New LA1065 Loader Bucket Curls Down First Then Goes Up

TractorDr

Equipment
mx5200
Jan 1, 2020
Quarryville, PA
I have a brand new mx5200 with the LA1065 loader and was operating the bucket with a load in it and went to curl it up and first it went down then it went up. I had to curl the stick way in to limit the amount of downward movement of the bucket before it would go up. Is this due to a faulty or cheap valve allowing backfeed through the circuit? I'm gonna call the dealer but want to get some ideas on here so I'm armed should they make excuses or try to tell me this is normal. Frustrated. TD

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
When you tell 2 circuits to do something at the same time, the one with the least resistance will go first.

Something could be wrong, I can't operate your machine to try.

Have you tried to only curl first?

I would also tell it to lift,(pull back) and very slightly(feather) curl(side motion), I think this will give you the results you want.

I've seen a lot of compaints about backhoes, same thing, lightly feather the one that wants to go too fast.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It sounds like the OP is saying when he went to curl the bucket up, it first curled down and then went up.

If so, it sounds like an issue to me. As suggested by Mikester, it would not hurt to move the loader functions many times to purge air from the cylinders in case that could be the reason.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Greetings from the other end of the county, Doc. I never had an M series, but this is my third Kubota and I've operated a few other brands. What you describe isn't normal. With it being new, I wouldn't hesitate to call the dealer.

TractorDr

Equipment
mx5200
Jan 1, 2020
Quarryville, PA
Thanks for the insight from all.

Yes you're correct, when I went to curl up it first went down then up which makes me also think "air" is a likely culprit. I wonder if there's air still trapped in the lines of the 3rd function valve I installed? After installation was complete I hooked up my grapple bucket and stroked the cylinder up and down several times to get the air out but maybe that wasn't sufficient to remove all of it?

I think I'll try swapping out the boom and bucket circuit as suggest and cycle the cylinders full stroke several times (including the 3rd function) and see if that cures the issue.

I do believe (or hope) that the 3rd function valve may have introduced air that is still trapped and can be purged by simply cycling the circuits.

Any other thoughts let me know.

Thanks again,
TD

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
It really sounds like an issue with the spool valve. I have this same issue on my stump grinder. I attribute it to the cheap spool valve. Not a big deal for me but in your case that could lead to disaster. And I am sure Kubota does not use cheapo valves. Should be under warranty.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Thanks for the insight from all.

Yes you're correct, when I went to curl up it first went down then up which makes me also think "air" is a likely culprit. I wonder if there's air still trapped in the lines of the 3rd function valve I installed? After installation was complete I hooked up my grapple bucket and stroked the cylinder up and down several times to get the air out but maybe that wasn't sufficient to remove all of it?

I think I'll try swapping out the boom and bucket circuit as suggest and cycle the cylinders full stroke several times (including the 3rd function) and see if that cures the issue.

I do believe (or hope) that the 3rd function valve may have introduced air that is still trapped and can be purged by simply cycling the circuits.

Any other thoughts let me know.

Thanks again,
TD
Sounds like you answered your own question. Time to manually bleed the air out of your circuits starting with the third function circuit. If the dealer did the install then they should have bled the circuit for you and Id make them fix it on their dime. I wouldnt swap lines with the boom if you have no problems there.

TractorDr

Equipment
mx5200
Jan 1, 2020
Quarryville, PA
I did the install so I’m to blame ***129396;. Gonna take her out of the shop today or tomorrow and cycle the circuits. Hopefully that does the trick.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
To get all the air out of the curl cylinder(s), fully retract it, raise the arms so the bottom fitting is now higher than the top fitting, wait a minute for all the air bubbles to make their way towards the hose, then extend the cylinder to push the air out. Lower the arms so the top fitting is again higher, wait, retract the cylinder to squeeze the air bubbles from that side.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The plot thickens...

Try cycling it a few times to get all the air out.

It that doesn't work, which I'm betting it won't, come back and tell us exactly what third function valve you used and exactly where and how you connected it in to the circuit.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
If you switch the boom and bucket circuts, that should narrow it down to either the tractor valve or the 3rd function.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Do the 3 point hitch hydraulics
function normally?
can't believe nobody asked that yet.

It makes a difference which hoses go where. If two of them (from the tractor to the loader) are backwards, 3ph won't work right and will also affect how the loader works. Secondly if 3ph feedback is misadjusted (lever bent, etc) it will cause loader issues. Thirdly if there is a third function installed on the loader, how the hoses are routed makes a difference as well-particularly if a backhoe is used.