Sage brush puller?!

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
For some years I have used my tractor to pull up sage brush, I just spent 3 hours doing so today. But it's slow, each time I have to get off, rig the heavy rope with a slip hook around the base of the brush, get back on, pull ahead until it rips up, and then get back off to unrig. It gets old fairly quickly.

I should mention I also have a Kubota mini excavator, a U 25S, with a thumb attachment no less. I am debating whether to make or buy something for the mini X, or for the tractor. The mini X would have the advantage of being able to spin 360 degrees while pulling brush in a 20-25' radius. All the off the shelf grapple attachments I've looked at don't close up tight, tight enough for the brush not to slip out when pulled. Then I saw this universal front end attachment thing: http://unclewiener.com/product/new-tree-fence-post-puller-skid-steer-attachment-quick-attach/

It looks like Uncle Wiener may have it already figured out, and I already have a third function and front hoses for my angling snow blade. This thing looks like it closes up tight enough to pull them up without slipping. Before I do anything I would contact them for more info. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
For some years I have used my tractor to pull up sage brush, I just spent 3 hours doing so today. But it's slow, each time I have to get off, rig the heavy rope with a slip hook around the base of the brush, get back on, pull ahead until it rips up, and then get back off to unrig. It gets old fairly quickly.

I should mention I also have a Kubota mini excavator, a U 25S, with a thumb attachment no less. I am debating whether to make or buy something for the mini X, or for the tractor. The mini X would have the advantage of being able to spin 360 degrees while pulling brush in a 20-25' radius. All the off the shelf grapple attachments I've looked at don't close up tight, tight enough for the brush not to slip out when pulled. Then I saw this universal front end attachment thing: http://unclewiener.com/product/new-tree-fence-post-puller-skid-steer-attachment-quick-attach/

It looks like Uncle Wiener may have it already figured out, and I already have a third function and front hoses for my angling snow blade. This thing looks like it closes up tight enough to pull them up without slipping. Before I do anything I would contact them for more info. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Here's a home made one, I think I'm on the right track.https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/HomemadeHydraulicTreePuller
And now they are everywhere! https://www.palletforks.com/skid-st...5MHXuFYGR4ciXx6vTWnlzVNn8c40Z5_UaAt90EALw_wcB

Last edited:

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
A pirahna blade for your bucket from bxpanded will change your world.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I don't want to disturb 5' wide patches of earth with every brush pull. I want to clamp the brush and then pull more or less straight up.

I like everything about the Titan Attachments puller, but looking at it is hard to tell if after you pull the brush, will you have to jump out to get it out of the jaws? Or, with maybe a little backing up while it's touching the ground, maybe it self clears? It for sure looks like it'll pull them no sweat.

Last edited:

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I went from the raw idea of some kind of an implement to pull sage brush, (thinking I'd have to home brew something) then to getting educated on what is already on the market to do just that, then watching YouTube videos (search "tree pullers" to ordering it, all in about 3 hours. And all while keeping socially isolated, technology is wonderful!

I went with the Titan one, and also ordered a three point receiver hitch while I was at it. For $118.00 and free shipping, I couldn't resist. Both items in stock.

Now the scheme has morphed into towing the 12' dump bed trailer down into the 40 acres, pulling a bunch of brush, and now and then jumping off to hand load the trailer. Once back up (I live on a mountain side, everything is up or down) to my gravel parking area, and my garden hoses, I can safely burn it, fun stuff.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
26hp tractor, loader pulls small stuff, clamp onto medium stuff and drive forward. Rock tractor back a forth while lifting with loader for larger trees. I max out around 5" diameter with my setup. If you have 50+hp look into the Intimidator brand of tree puller.

Attachments

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I have done the off the tractor, hook up, on the tractor method to remove bush creeping into our pastures...

If I needed to do more area and more often, my thought is I would mount a grabber like shown in post #6 to the 3 point to pull bush.

Then use my pallet forks with homemade brush teeth to move it..

My 5 cents of opinion..

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Why hand load? By the looks of that thing, you should be able to pull, then drop it in the trailer. You might drag it on the ground for a few feet to try to clean the roots first.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Schmitty

Equipment
L4740, grapple, forks, box blade
Mar 25, 2018
Madison, WI
That puller should do exactly what you want! I looked at the Titan one before I build my own. You'll also see the grill my brother modified with many extra cross-slats. The headlights and air intake were violated before the decision to modify the grill was made...

I have a few of the build pictures (and one oops) here.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Nice work, but ‘cant imagine how the headlights would be useful either way as the grill blocks the light beams. I wonder if anyone has ever built a grill with an LED-Bar built withIN the grill and if that would be useful.:confused:

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Thanks guys...thinking on it over night, (after sending my CC info off) I think I made the right decision. I would have built one but don't have the time right now and want to do this project, pull sage, NOW, not mid summer. And the price seemed reasonable for something that will be working 5 minutes after I mount it up. Like a lot of implements, they are simple things mechanically, but being simple means everything has to be built correctly, using the right sized material etc. I would have just copied the one I bought to make it simple, but when all was said and done the $ savings would have been minor, compared to the needed time to fab it. I like building things, but not when I'm in a hurry.

I have no trees, just sage brush, so this thing should kick butt on them pretty easily. It occurred to me I could load direct in the trailer, but with the trailer hooked to the tractor that could get tricky! Unhooking and rehooking would work, but these aren't the monster sage brushes just mid size, so easy enough to hand load, and I can always do a bit of both. I can always hook the trailer to my flatbed 1 ton also, but am just trying to avoid too much equipment down there, and figured the tractor is already there pulling so why not tow with it.

So, I have the fun thing of a new piece of equipment on it's way, nothing better for us gearhead tractor types! I was going to continue pulling, using my old method today, screw that! This project will be a good productive way to stay socially isolated, can't believe I just said that.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
I don't want to disturb 5' wide patches of earth with every brush pull. I want to clamp the brush and then pull more or less straight up.

I like everything about the Titan Attachments puller, but looking at it is hard to tell if after you pull the brush, will you have to jump out to get it out of the jaws? Or, with maybe a little backing up while it's touching the ground, maybe it self clears? It for sure looks like it'll pull them no sweat.
From the reading it sounds like you went with the hydraulic unit but for others, the pirana bar on the loader lip simply needs to be run an inch or two above the ground while you drive, it catches and pulls out the sage/brush/small trees/etc. No need to "dig" the loader into the ground at all! You'll get the same disturbed area from the roots coming out as using the hydraulic unit everyone is discussing, and nothing else. Enjoy your new accessory!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Excellent service from Titan Attachments, I ordered over the puller over the weekend and it has been shipped! I just thought that deserved a shout out. I'll post again when I put it to work.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
The Titan Attachment's tree puller (though I refer to it as the big plucker) came in today. It took me about 30 minutes from the time I got home, to the first time I pulled a sage brush. That time included changing out a couple of hydraulic fittings, and pulling the tie downs and off loading it from my utility trailer.

It squeezes up tight, so even smaller brush get's the heave ho. My main concern was whether or not it would get clogged, necessitating jumping off to clear it, no worries there. A little forward tilt, if it does and it self clears. they provided very generous lengths of hyd. hose, abrasion protected, and with flat face style quick disconnects. That was a bonus, I expected short lines, and no fittings. The packing crate was a welded angle iron structure, and good for the shop's misc. steel junk pile, another bonus.

The sight line is such, that you need to stand up a bit while approaching a victim, to get things lined up right. Sitting down, the QA mount plate obscures the jaws of death. The cycle time is quite fast though, 2-4 brush per minute or so, with the smaller brush being pulled straight up, and the big boys needing a bit of back tilt, and one huge one needing that plus just a nudge of reverse. So, that's three ways to persuade even the largest brush it's time is up, there is plenty of hyd. power from the L3301's aux circuit. I'll post a few pics in a day or so.

I'd like to give Saia Freightlines a shout out: DO NOT EVER USE THEM, THEY SUCK BIG TIME, HORRIBLE SERVICE, IT WAS LIKE PULLING TEETH TO GET MY SHIPMENT. EVEN THOUGH IT HAD BEEN SITTING ON THE DOCK OVER THE WEEKEND, THE SOONEST I COULD GET IT WAS VERY LATE THIS AFTERNOON. I'm being a bit harsh, but you know how it is when you have a new toy and can't wait to play with it. But I did spend probably 2 hours total today on hold or dealing with robots, just to get permission to come down to their (mostly unattended) loading dock TODAY, to pick up my shipment. They wanted to deliver it the next day, but couldn't tell me when, and of course I'd have to be there to sign for it. I blew off my Monday, tomorrow I have other things to do then sit around waiting for a the truck to show up. You'd think a customer offering to take it off their hands, soonest, saving them a delivery the next day, would be a good thing, you'd be wrong.

JimiCarpenter

Mar 27, 2021
Clayton Nc
The Titan Attachment's tree puller (though I refer to it as the big plucker) came in today. It took me about 30 minutes from the time I got home, to the first time I pulled a sage brush. That time included changing out a couple of hydraulic fittings, and pulling the tie downs and off loading it from my utility trailer.

It squeezes up tight, so even smaller brush get's the heave ho. My main concern was whether or not it would get clogged, necessitating jumping off to clear it, no worries there. A little forward tilt, if it does and it self clears. they provided very generous lengths of hyd. hose, abrasion protected, and with flat face style quick disconnects. That was a bonus, I expected short lines, and no fittings. The packing crate was a welded angle iron structure, and good for the shop's misc. steel junk pile, another bonus.

The sight line is such, that you need to stand up a bit while approaching a victim, to get things lined up right. Sitting down, the QA mount plate obscures the jaws of death. The cycle time is quite fast though, 2-4 brush per minute or so, with the smaller brush being pulled straight up, and the big boys needing a bit of back tilt, and one huge one needing that plus just a nudge of reverse. So, that's three ways to persuade even the largest brush it's time is up, there is plenty of hyd. power from the L3301's aux circuit. I'll post a few pics in a day or so.

I'd like to give Saia Freightlines a shout out: DO NOT EVER USE THEM, THEY SUCK BIG TIME, HORRIBLE SERVICE, IT WAS LIKE PULLING TEETH TO GET MY SHIPMENT. EVEN THOUGH IT HAD BEEN SITTING ON THE DOCK OVER THE WEEKEND, THE SOONEST I COULD GET IT WAS VERY LATE THIS AFTERNOON. I'm being a bit harsh, but you know how it is when you have a new toy and can't wait to play with it. But I did spend probably 2 hours total today on hold or dealing with robots, just to get permission to come down to their (mostly unattended) loading dock TODAY, to pick up my shipment. They wanted to deliver it the next day, but couldn't tell me when, and of course I'd have to be there to sign for it. I blew off my Monday, tomorrow I have other things to do then sit around waiting for a the truck to show up. You'd think a customer offering to take it off their hands, soonest, saving them a delivery the next day, would be a good thing, you'd be wrong.
What tractor are you using the titan tree puller on? Did I miss that?

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Looks like flyidaho has L3301. I have a B2650, photos in post 6

Reactions: 1 user

JimiCarpenter

Mar 27, 2021
Clayton Nc
Looks like flyidaho has L3301. I have a B2650, photos in post 6
I was thinking of buying this myself. I just ordered a LX2610 and it would be useful if it works well. As the problem with most things you never really know if something works as intended until you either buy it or know someone who has it.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Enlist help from offspring. Reminding them from the tractor seat that "struggle is the crucible of character". Thats what I would do. You could always hire a helper now and then. Good luck.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
These are great tree pullers from palletforks.com, they are sold for skid steer use but fit any standard SSQA. I used mine on my MX5800 for a couple of years pulling mainly 2-5 " diameter trees out of sandy based soil. Once I got to 4" diameter, it often involved more of a fight. I don't know sage brush but I'm guessing they are easier to pull than trees. I would just like to comment that I would not put this unit on my L3901 LA525 loader and go off pulling trees, I really don't think that the loader is that capable. I was worried about damaging my MX5800 as I could raise the rear end of the tractor into the air with rear tires filled and a 800 lb attachment on the back of the 3pt hitch!

I gave up using my MX5800 for this task when I acquired a Kubota SVL 75 track loader, at nearly 10,000 lbs and a huge lifting capacity the track loader really performs with one of these units. As the trees get bigger I move over to a rake attachment on my KX 040 excavator to dig them out.

Unless you are looking at pulling something light and small I would suggest that these tree / post pullers are not really for any B or LX tractor. The smaller L series will work for light use only. I guess the tree type and ground conditions also must play a part.

Good luck post / tree and bush pulling.