Tracks, Auger and stump grinder

Yarg

Equipment
L35
May 25, 2018
Catskills ny
I have a wheeled bobcat 863 and have 1000 seedlings to plant... maybe on a yearly basis...and I've been told that an auger works really nice anybody have experience with these. I also have some stumps to grind, was wondering if those of you that own a grinder that goes on a bobcat.. what you thought of them and those tracks that just go over the wheels are they worth it just looking for advice I guess thank you.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a wheeled bobcat 863 and have 1000 seedlings to plant... maybe on a yearly basis...and I've been told that an auger works really nice anybody have experience with these. I also have some stumps to grind, was wondering if those of you that own a grinder that goes on a bobcat.. what you thought of them and those tracks that just go over the wheels are they worth it just looking for advice I guess thank you.
Augertorque.com have both available. Depending on the stumps, you can do those with the auger as well.

With 18 GPM there are a lot of options available.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: seedings

How big are they ? For years I just use plow to 'V' the garden to plant 100s of toms and peps. Super fast easy to drop in V, cover, done, next....

You might be able use a 'subsoiler' to slit the ground wide enought for the seedlings.

Yarg

Equipment
L35
May 25, 2018
Catskills ny
These are chestnut seedlings that have very well-developed roots that need to be spread out appropriately so a 12in hole would be minimum... That method would work for some tiny spruce seedlings that I got from the state last year.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
1000 seedling with an auger would be a full time job, and a rather tedious one at that, and yearly. :eek:
Depending on their size, required spacing, a seedling planter would probably be a much better choice!
There are plenty of simple models out there.

Stump grinders are great, but not on that skid steer.
Stump grinders take a lot of hydraulic flow, while your unit might have the flow ability (High flow was not standard on all of these) that it doesn't have an adequate cooling system and will do damage to the pump.
Rent a stand alone or dedicated stump grinder.

I will note that Yopper (member here) did build one for his tractor that has worked flawlessly for him, but it has it's own pump, and cooling system aside from the tractors system.

What are you expecting to gain from the tracks?

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Ive planted a couple hundred trees with an auger. Not barr root seedlings, but potted trees. It works well and goes fast. The part that takes time is laying out the locations for the holes. I think for your chestnuts where you need to spread the roots it’d sure beat shoveling.

Yarg

Equipment
L35
May 25, 2018
Catskills ny
1000 seedling with an auger would be a full time job, and a rather tedious one at that, and yearly. :eek:
Depending on their size, required spacing, a seedling planter would probably be a much better choice!
There are plenty of simple models out there.

Stump grinders are great, but not on that skid steer.
Stump grinders take a lot of hydraulic flow, while your unit might have the flow ability (High flow was not standard on all of these) that it doesn't have an adequate cooling system and will do damage to the pump.
Rent a stand alone or dedicated stump grinder.

I will note that Yopper (member here) did build one for his tractor that has worked flawlessly for him, but it has it's own pump, and cooling system aside from the tractors system.

What are you expecting to gain from the tracks?
ability to travel over wet spots the field that I'm working and is dry but getting back there's the issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
ability to travel over wet spots the field that I'm working and is dry but getting back there's the issue.
If you can get a set of rubber over the tire tracks for it, they are much better in wet ground and mud than the steel open tracks.

You can also get flotation tires for it too that will do a good job, and they are much cheaper than tracks.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you are regularly planting acreage you want something like this
https://www.kelcomaine.com/tp300.cfm

A 1000 seedlings isnt very much and you could do that by hand. An auger would be painfully slow IMHO. If you want the digging to go easier get a self propelled walk behind cultivator to soften up the soil as deep as it will go. Depending on your soil type you can plant the seedlings without a shovel if you manage to loosen up the soil nicely with a couple of passes.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
We plant several hundred seedlings per year using a 6" auger bit on the back of our tractor. We're on sand it is fast and easy. One thing to note is the soil gets kind of "fluffed up" using the auger. You need to make sure when filling it back in that it gets packed in. We pour water in the hole as we are back filling and pack it by hand as well.

Just recently I've had a couple of tree guys post that I shouldn't use an auger at all or if I do I should go back and square the hole with a shovel. They say that the roots will grow in a circle around themselves and become root bound. I'm hoping this isn't a hard rule or that because I live on sand it won't be an issue for me. Otherwise, I'm thousands of trees into doing it wrong.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My nursery-man recommends to take a “six-shooter” shovel and interrupt the sides of the auger-hole to break it up from a perfect circle a bit, but that’s only “helpful” not mandatory. Plants will seek water/nutrients naturally.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We plant several hundred seedlings per year using a 6" auger bit on the back of our tractor. We're on sand it is fast and easy. One thing to note is the soil gets kind of "fluffed up" using the auger. You need to make sure when filling it back in that it gets packed in. We pour water in the hole as we are back filling and pack it by hand as well.

Just recently I've had a couple of tree guys post that I shouldn't use an auger at all or if I do I should go back and square the hole with a shovel. They say that the roots will grow in a circle around themselves and become root bound. I'm hoping this isn't a hard rule or that because I live on sand it won't be an issue for me. Otherwise, I'm thousands of trees into doing it wrong.
That is true in hard soil, but in sand it's of little consequence, as the roots go right through the sand! ;)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
We had a house in a subdivision with a tree between the curb and the side walk. One night some one ran it over and broke the trunk off. After eight years the root ball, shaped like a big flowerpot, came up out of the ground leaving a tapered hole for the new one to go in. No digging was required. Piss poor landscape contractor had not broken the root ball up at all. Just popped out the old and in with the new one planted correctly.