Time to ReFi that house/property!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We sold that one in 97 & we carried the note @ 10% 15 yrs . They did a refinance & paid us off at about 5 years, we cried. They were still paying more int than principal.
Bet you were sad to see that go!

My parents did the same with the farm - - held the paper for the buyers.

I don't recall rate, but it was 1986, so probably pretty stout. The buyers carried it out through it's term, so my folks made out pretty okay!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Armylifer, I like your advice generally, but have a question for you. You say that refinancing would cause loss of equity. How can that be? Isnt equity simply the difference between market value and what you owe on the property? I do realize a home equity loan would cause a loss of equity, but cant see how a refinance just to get lower rates would. Can you explain that please?
As I said in a previous post, there are a lot of variables to this subject. However, I will use as an example one of my closest friends. I will change the actual numbers to make the example easier to follow.

Dan was an IT professional that I worked with. In 2007 his home was worth $100,000. He owed $80,000 when he decided to refinance to a lower interest rate loan. The bank decided that his equity in the home was marginal and they wanted a current market value for his home. The loan officer arranged for this. The current market value came in at $105,000 making the equity number look better.

Dan got the loan at the reduced interest which gave him a lower payment. However, instead of just owing $80,000 on his home, he now owed the $105,000 loan. The original equity that he had before the refinance was eaten up in fees and points on the new loan. He did not get any cash from the refinance. Sure he had a lower payment but he owed it for a longer period of time than the original loan.

In the year that followed his refinance Dan got laid off from work. He tried to sell his home but the market had crashed and his home could not sell for what the bank had loaned him. His home was foreclosed on and Dan still owed the bank the difference between what the bank eventually sold the house for and what Dan still owed on the loan.

This story is obviously an oversimplification of Dan's situation but it is an accurate one when it is all boiled down. With a little variation on Dan's story, I have seen others lose their homes in a similar way.

One thing about equity is that you never have it until you sell your home. That word is so fluid when it comes to real numbers. Banks want to loan you money so they manipulate numbers to make it look like you have more equity than what the market says you really have. Thay are literally banking on the future value of your home, not the real present value of it.

Even if you do not lose your home because of some unforeseen circumstance, you still do not have one penny of equity until you sell it. As I previously said, there are just too many variables to cover in this post.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Thanks Joe. I guess we do agree on the definition of equity then. We just state it a bit differently. Whats disappointing is how some can get non-recourse loans while the less fortunate 99% cant.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The fact that you mention non-recourse loans tells me that you have at least some knowledge on the subject. I took a finance course many years ago in college and that was one very sore subject back then, as it is now. It is my belief that one must have assets that total at least 7 o's (zeros) before the decimal place to qualify for non-recourse loans. I have never seen one of those type loans.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Ive done some real estate investing over the years. Not a lot by any stretch. But back in the early 2000s I bought and sold a property and financed it through a local bank with a non-recourse loan. Other times Ive borrowed that wasnt an option. I did notice though that in the Feds most recent largeness, they are offering non-recourse loans to their member banks for stock buying purposes, which of course have a way of morphing into anything they invest in.

Last edited:

sandderz02

Dec 23, 2019
Chicago
Our story:
We were at 4.75% with 19.5 years to go on a 30 year fixed mortgage. We had done a refi 10 years ago to combine a 1st and 2nd mortgage that we had from building our house in 2003 - long story but it basically had to do with a "jumbo" loan at the time and higher interest rates for them.
Almost the same story with us, but we've built our house few years ago, and mortgage was not fixed. There also was one old house, where we've replaced everything, including windows. We used to asked guys from glass replacement in home windows denver firm, and they made it pretty fast, I gotta say. I hate renovations, but that one was a pretty interesting time.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm at 5.25 fixed on the rentals and I wish it was higher. The interest as well as the RE taxes are a 100% write off against the rent income. I stive to keep my debt ratio just above the income always. Same with the farm. If it appears I'm on the positive side too much, I'll buy a new piece of equipment, finance it and write the whole thing off. Farming is great, great deductions.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
We did the refi a little over a year ago and knocked a few years off the loan. Refi charge was $500 paid out of pocket. It dropped our payment a few hundred a month but we kept the payment where it was and applied more to the principle. I also do a principle only payment once a month to whittle it down even more. I just reached out to our Credit Union to see about refinancing since their current rate and our rate looks like we may be able to drop at least 2.25 % below our current rate.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
When looking at apartments on the secondary market, several obvious advantages are immediately apparent: this is a ready-made housing, which can be "seen and touched" (unlike shared apartments), in addition, the housing can have a suitable repair and may have furniture, which makes the property ideal for living "right now." The buyer can move in immediately after signing the contract - there is no need to wait for a long time for the completion of construction, which can be delayed due to the developer's problems. Of course, there is a downside - there are many nuances associated with this kind of purchase's financial and legal security. But if you trust a reliable offer, you can avoid the risk.
This is obviously spam and has nothing to do with the subject in this thread.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I am thinking about it too

I looked into it a few months ago and it didn't make no sense at the time. I'm at 4.00% right now and 14 years left assuming minimum payment. Then you have to figure in the fees and closing costs. So yes I would have saved a little, but with fees/costs it would end up MORE so I left it alone. May look into it some more now.

shortking

Equipment
John Deere
Jan 27, 2021
New Orleans
Wow, 2.99 percent is fantastic! I mean, you should be thankful that you even got that rate, as it is incredible. Sure thing, if you would have got a 2.75 would have been even better for you, but a 2.99 ain't bad, not at all. I have also tried to refi my mortgage this year. However, the bank didn't want to give me a lower rate. I am already at 3.3%, which is also great, but I know I had to get a 2.8-2.9. I have already called for the lawyers from https://www.vasaadvokat.se/entreprenad-brist-och-avhjalpande/, and I am willing to sue the bank as they didn't fulfilled their obligations fixed by a contract.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
For the most part, you lose if you refi after the fees are charged and your amortization changes.

Reactions: 1 user