Are Suitcase Weights Universal?

TX Ags

Equipment
L2600
Nov 9, 2018
Texas
I'd like to get some weights for the front of my L3200. Just wondering if the suitcase weights are universal, or do I have to buy Kubota? Thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No they aren't. Suitcase weights are model specific. You might want to check Mid States Ag to see if they stock them for your model. The cast in openings are different for each model

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'd like to get some weights for the front of my L3200. Just wondering if the suitcase weights are universal, or do I have to buy Kubota? Thanks
As Flip says, suitcase weights vary by manufacturer and sometimes by model.

Currently, Kubota sells 55 Lb. weights for B and L series and 90 Lb. (?) weights for M series (at least through M6 models). I believe that the 5013, 55 Lb. weights will fit your L3200.

Kubota weights are expensive but aftermarket suppliers offer nearly identical weights at lower prices. I've bought weights from both Kubota and North States.

Shipping is expensive but North States ships free if the order is 1,000 Lbs. or more. When I need North States weights I tell my dealer to order mine when he next buys from North States in order to avoid shipping costs. Kubota weights are so-called whole goods and shipping costs are unavoidable.

Buy the bolt kits, either Kubota or North States, at the same time.

SDT

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Don't you need to buy a hanger for the weights? If you are going to make your own hanger you could make it to fit what ever weights you buy. Or the factory weight hanger could be modified to fit the weights that you find.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
I had eight 40# John Deere weights hanging on the factory front weight bar on my MX5000 when I bought it. They fit like a glove.
I took them off when I bought an LA852 FEL for it as the grille guard won't fit on it with the weight bar installed, plus, no need for front weights when the FEL is installed.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually, Mid States is offering free shipping on them right now, FYI.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Don't you need to buy a hanger for the weights? If you are going to make your own hanger you could make it to fit what ever weights you buy. Or the factory weight hanger could be modified to fit the weights that you find.
Most Kubota CUTs allow installation of 3 or 4 weights onto the front frame or grill guard without a front weight bracket. Installation of a weight bracket allows installation of a full complement of front weights but the weight bracket cannot be installed without first removing the grill guard.

SDT

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
you can get 5x40 pounders on the front of a BX sans bracket

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Of course the underlying issue is, you cannot have suitcase weights on most of them with the FEL installed because the FEL frame (cross braces) will hit the weights when the frame is lowered. Not all but most of them so fine if no loader installed but no good with the loader installed (and in some cases with the brush guard as well).

Additionally, if you run front weights and the loader frame clears, with the weights on, using the loader , the additional weight of the loader bucket full of material will take the front axle and components well over their maximum design rating for capacity as well as the front tires and rims, so, their could be serious mechanical issues.

IOW, if you have a loader, just run that and if you have a SSQA bucket, better yet. take the bucket off and leave the frame on for weight. What I do with my cab tractor. The OS gets weights because I leave to loader off 99% of the time.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I like the JD logo on them...lol Need to paint them green as well...
work the same. I removed their warning labels too, drilled holes in them, added foam. they are highly compromised, couldnt trade them in to a dealer if i wanted to now...

if the loader is on, i dont think ppl typically need or use front weights. The bracket its nice so you can stack more weights but ive found for little stuff a bx is used for 2-300 pounds is a big help.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
work the same. I removed their warning labels too, drilled holes in them, added foam. they are highly compromised, couldnt trade them in to a dealer if i wanted to now...

if the loader is on, i dont think ppl typically need or use front weights. The bracket its nice so you can stack more weights but ive found for little stuff a bx is used for 2-300 pounds is a big help.
Think I'd get some Bondo and fill in the JD log on the outboard ones and that way your tractor won't be pized.

I have a set on order from Mid Sates for my open station M. She gets a bit light in the front with the big mower on the back but mine are 105 pounds a piece. Got 7 coming. Free shipping too.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Think I'd get some Bondo and fill in the JD log on the outboard ones and that way your tractor won't be pized.

I have a set on order from Mid Sates for my open station M. She gets a bit light in the front with the big mower on the back but mine are 105 pounds a piece. Got 7 coming. Free shipping too.
I have a full set of 7 (9?) for my M9960 and the cast iron front bracket weighs about 250 Lbs.

I installed the bracket but have never mounted the weights because I sold my Woods MDS1260 mounted 10.5' mower and replaced it with a BW shortly after buying the 9960.

I did just add a second 165 Lb. rear weight to each rear wheel last week. Dealer had them in stock for awhile and the parts guy likes me so no shipping.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a full set of 7 (9?) for my M9960 and the cast iron front bracket weighs about 250 Lbs.

I installed the bracket but have never mounted the weights because I sold my Woods MDS1260 mounted 10.5' mower and replaced it with a BW shortly after buying the 9960.

I did just add a second 165 Lb. rear weight to each rear wheel last week. Dealer had them in stock for awhile and the parts guy likes me so no shipping.

SDT
I have both a batwing and a Land Pride 8 foot wide brush hog. I use the LP in tighter spots. Both my M's have the cast center hubs. I think (not sure) they each weigh about 500 pounds. I do know that dismounting them requires either a second tractor or a cherry picker. Why I don't need or want loaded tires. Not necessary.

My older M9's will direct mount suitcase weights, no bracket needed except the tie bar which is a length of heavy angle iron drilled to accept bolts which go through the OEM front lower guard.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have both a batwing and a Land Pride 8 foot wide brush hog. I use the LP in tighter spots. Both my M's have the cast center hubs. I think (not sure) they each weigh about 500 pounds. I do know that dismounting them requires either a second tractor or a cherry picker. Why I don't need or want loaded tires. Not necessary.

My older M9's will direct mount suitcase weights, no bracket needed except the tie bar which is a length of heavy angle iron drilled to accept bolts which go through the OEM front lower guard.
My 9960 also has cast centers but I do not use liquid ballast because I still repair/change my own tires and have no way to handle liquid.

Not sure about the added weight of the cast centers but have heard about 300 Lbs./side vis a vis stamped steel.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My 9960 also has cast centers but I do not use liquid ballast because I still repair/change my own tires and have no way to handle liquid.

Not sure about the added weight of the cast centers but have heard about 300 Lbs./side vis a vis stamped steel.

SDT
I'll take your word for whatever they weigh SDT. All I know is they are heavy with the rim and tire intact with the centers as one assembly. Both mine take special lug nuts as well. The lug nuts have a machined in center section that extends into the cast centers and are expensive, I know, I screwed up 2 when I dismounted both rears when I worked on the tractor last spring. Screwed up 2 lug nuts and one stud too and had to borrow my dealer's Kubota insertion tool to start the lug nuts on the studs plus a big metric tap to chase the threads in the hub flange. Nice to have a dealer that will let me borrow tools like that.

Lug nuts are I think 18 bucks each and the stud was 40 or so. Chalked that one up to stupidity in my part but it's almost impossible to line up the tire and rim and center section straight on the studs and get them started evenly, even using my other tractor's FEL with the forks and a sling and you don't want to let them fall over either. Certainly a foot crusher.

When it needs new shoes this fall, the tire service guy can do a dismount and remount right on the tractor, I'm not pulling them again, ever.

My hat is off to you, mounting and dismounting tractor tires, at least the big ones I have. Guy down the road with the big Deere's does his own too. Uses his hi-lo to break the beads. Drives the hi-lo up on the deflated tire to pop them off the rims. Whatever it takes I guess.

I'll pay the tire guy to do it. He has one of those air powered bead breakers. Peels them off like a bicycle tire. Amazing.

No loaning out the Diagmaster though...lol

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'll take your word for whatever they weigh SDT. All I know is they are heavy with the rim and tire intact with the centers as one assembly. Both mine take special lug nuts as well. The lug nuts have a machined in center section that extends into the cast centers and are expensive, I know, I screwed up 2 when I dismounted both rears when I worked on the tractor last spring. Screwed up 2 lug nuts and one stud too and had to borrow my dealer's Kubota insertion tool to start the lug nuts on the studs plus a big metric tap to chase the threads in the hub flange. Nice to have a dealer that will let me borrow tools like that.

Lug nuts are I think 18 bucks each and the stud was 40 or so. Chalked that one up to stupidity in my part but it's almost impossible to line up the tire and rim and center section straight on the studs and get them started evenly, even using my other tractor's FEL with the forks and a sling and you don't want to let them fall over either. Certainly a foot crusher.

When it needs new shoes this fall, the tire service guy can do a dismount and remount right on the tractor, I'm not pulling them again, ever.

My hat is off to you, mounting and dismounting tractor tires, at least the big ones I have. Guy down the road with the big Deere's does his own too. Uses his hi-lo to break the beads. Drives the hi-lo up on the deflated tire to pop them off the rims. Whatever it takes I guess.

I'll pay the tire guy to do it. He has one of those air powered bead breakers. Peels them off like a bicycle tire. Amazing.

No loaning out the Diagmaster though...lol
I've mounted, dismounted tractor tires myself for about 30 years. Not to difficult once having done it a couple of times and using the proper tools.

I have a couple of good, tire irons and a cheap NT slide hammer. The slide hammer is the secret. I've never found a tire that I cannot break down with the slide hammer.

That said, at 70, my tire mounting/dismounting days are coming to an end.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I watched the tire service guy do it. Amazing tool he has but the casings are still heavy. Spec Tire was the company. They have a place in the next town east. Normal tires for me are no issue, I have a Coats 10-10 and a spin balance machine but the big ones, not gonna happen. Remember, I'm 70 too.

Thinking I might put on a set of R14's when the OS gets new shoes this fall. That will be a 4 grand experience. The cabin tractor is ok yet. Road driving is what eats up my tires so I believe that the radials with the more in contact with the road surface pattern might wear longer. Of course I did get over 12 years on the original Titans...still going btw, just getting down there...;)

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
What is the website for this Mid State Ag. ? nothing I bring up seems to have weights for tractors …?... Thanks

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
What is the website for this Mid State Ag. ? nothing I bring up seems to have weights for tractors …?... Thanks
Can't help about Mid States but North States, where my dealer buys aftermarket weights, does not sell retail. One must buy through a dealer.

North States and others make weights for Kubota and others.

SDT