60" or 72" MMM?

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
I'm ready to purchase a MMM for my B2650 and keep going back and forth between the 60" and 72".

I know the 72" would be faster however I have some tight areas and a lot of narrow and terraced hillside areas where I believe the 60" may be more maneuverable and provide a better cut.

Curious what others have found?

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
If the B series deck is similar to the BX, the 72" actually has more articulation because of some spring mounts, that give it more flex i6n uneven ground. It also makes it easier to mow close to obstacles since it sticks further out, and let's you get under the bottom of a fence easier. Unless you plan to mow areas that are straight-up less than 72" wide, I'd be giving that one serious consideration.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KTuk4J

Equipment
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
If the B series deck is similar to the BX, the 72" actually has more articulation because of some spring mounts, that give it more flex i6n uneven ground. It also makes it easier to mow close to obstacles since it sticks further out, and let's you get under the bottom of a fence easier. Unless you plan to mow areas that are straight-up less than 72" wide, I'd be giving that one serious consideration.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Good points!

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
I went with the 60" to keep it closer to the tractor width and I had measured some of my narrow spots and I was really close to the that width. So I decided two passes was going to be a better fit. Like rokhunter mentions getting under things with the extra width is a little easier with the wider deck, and both have decent ability to follow the contours as they ride on the terrain. The 72 will give you a more even looking cut over hilly land.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm ready to purchase a MMM for my B2650 and keep going back and forth between the 60" and 72".

I know the 72" would be faster however I have some tight areas and a lot of narrow and terraced hillside areas where I believe the 60" may be more maneuverable and provide a better cut.

Curious what others have found?
Both the 60" and 72" decks used on B2650 and B3350 are terrain following decks, completely unlike the suspended decks used on the BX series. Both have considerably more grass clearance than the suspended decks, perform better in heavy grass and are more versatile.

I have a 60" MMM for my B1750 and a 72" for my B3350. Both are very good terrain following decks. The 60" is a bit more maneuverable and a bit less likely to scalp. The 72" covers more ground but is more likely to scalp.

I do not drive over any of my decks but, rather, roll them in/out from the side after driving the tractors unto a level of two of 2X6s, etc. I find the 60" deck used on my B1750 a bit easier to mount/dismount than the 72" deck used on my B3350, but cannot say that this will be true of the current 60" deck used on the B2650 due to repositioning of the rear gage wheels inside of the rear tires.

Verify compatibility with tires (especially R-3s) and wheel spacers if needed for tire chain clearance, etc.

SDT

KTuk4J

Equipment
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
Both the 60" and 72" decks used on B2650 and B3350 are terrain following decks, completely unlike the suspended decks used on the BX series. Both have considerably more grass clearance than the suspended decks, perform better in heavy grass and are more versatile.

I have a 60" MMM for my B1750 and a 72" for my B3350. Both are very good terrain following decks. The 60" is a bit more maneuverable and a bit less likely to scalp. The 72" covers more ground but is more likely to scalp.

I do not drive over any of my decks but, rather, roll them in/out from the side after driving the tractors unto a level of two of 2X6s, etc. I find the 60" deck used on my B1750 a bit easier to mount/dismount than the 72" deck used on my B3350, but cannot say that this will be true of the current 60" deck used on the B2650 due to repositioning of the rear gage wheels inside of the rear tires.

Verify compatibility with tires (especially R-3s) and wheel spacers if needed for tire chain clearance, etc.

SDT
hmm.... now the "scalping" issue IS a concern due to uneven terrain.

edit: Just spoke with a dealer in the area and they claim the 72" has not been a desired deck in my region and no longer keep them in stock due to the difficulty cutting through wet and heavy vegetation in early summer, bogging down and clearing out, difficult to maneuver, scalping etc..

Last edited:

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I went with the 60" for my B2650. I might have considered 72" but I needed to be able to trailer my tractor with the mower, and the 72" just wasn't going to fit, which made my decision easy.

After using it a little, I ended up really liking the 60" deck, no major complaints that I can recall.