B3350 vs LX3310 issues

Borgf15

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 4, 2020
ID
Is there a consensus yet on whether the problems that plagued the 3350 will be resolved with the LX3310? I know it's not out yet, but for anyone in the know about the changes they've made, I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Is there a consensus yet on whether the problems that plagued the 3350 will be resolved with the LX3310? I know it's not out yet, but for anyone in the know about the changes they've made, I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
I'm banking on it.

Regen issues with the B3350 were unique to the reformer equipped engine used in the B3350 and some high end F series and ZTR mowers.

The new engine dispenses with the reformer in place of a common rail engine similar to that used in other Kubota machines.

SDT

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm banking on it.
Borg - - I see you are a new member.

SDT has a B3350, and has followed this issue very, very closely.

I'd bank on him as well...;)

Borgf15

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 4, 2020
ID
Yes, will be buying my first tractor this summer!

Thanks for the info SDT.

Does anyone know if the 3310 engine is a brand new design or is it something they've used before? From the online specs it doesn't look like it's the same engine as the 3301.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Yes, will be buying my first tractor this summer!

Thanks for the info SDT.

Does anyone know if the 3310 engine is a brand new design or is it something they've used before? From the online specs it doesn't look like it's the same engine as the 3301.
It's the same 1.5L engine used in the B3350 and other applications but without mechanical fuel injection and the reformer and with common rail fuel injection. Should be as reliable as other Kubota common rail injected engines.

SDT

Borgf15

Equipment
MX5400
Mar 4, 2020
ID
It's the same 1.5L engine used in the B3350 and other applications but without mechanical fuel injection and the reformer and with common rail fuel injection. Should be as reliable as other Kubota common rail injected engines.

SDT
Well that's good to hear. Thanks for the info.

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
The biggest problems with the B3350 was operator error, ignoring regen lights, shutting tractor down during regen, running tractor a low rpms, which will plug the filter. then the computer locks up the tractor. In 4 yrs mine has had zero issues.
Exact words from a 25 yr Kubota Mechanic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The biggest problems with the B3350 was operator error, ignoring regen lights, shutting tractor down during regen, running tractor a low rpms, which will plug the filter.
100% not true, there have been far too many failed units to be simply and solely operator error, if that was the case it also wouldn't be just affecting units with this motor configuration!

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
The biggest problems with the B3350 was operator error, ignoring regen lights, shutting tractor down during regen, running tractor a low rpms, which will plug the filter. then the computer locks up the tractor. In 4 yrs mine has had zero issues.

Unfortunately, this model was poorly engineered and it’s problems go well beyond operator error....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
100% not true, there have been far too many failed units to be simply and solely operator error, if that was the case it also wouldn't be just affecting units with this motor configuration!
Agreed.

The experience based consensus is that reformer technology simply will not work reliably with an engine of this size in this application.

I can assure you that the issues that I have had with my 3350 are NOT due to so-caller operator error.

SDT

KHW59

Equipment
L-3901 Brushhog, Finish mower, road planner, box blade.
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl

Got to admit this pissed me off. During my thirty years in the Navy as a Missile Technician on a Sub, it was ingrained into me to read and follow proceedure. I knew no other way. You just do not want mistakes with what I worked on. With the 3350 I had with its issues, I read and reread the operating manual. Still had issues. The shop had issues with it. To say it was "OE" (operator error) is Bullsh-t.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Got to admit this pissed me off. During my thirty years in the Navy as a Missile Technician on a Sub, it was ingrained into me to read and follow proceedure. I knew no other way. You just do not want mistakes with what I worked on. With the 3350 I had with its issues, I read and reread the operating manual. Still had issues. The shop had issues with it. To say it was "OE" (operator error) is Bullsh-t.
I've done the same.

A close examination of the operators manual and the regen decals will reveal still uncorrected mistakes.

SDT

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I read and reread the operating manual. Still had issues. The shop had issues with it. To say it was "OE" (operator error) is Bullsh-t.
I've done the same.

A close examination of the operators manual and the regen decals will reveal still uncorrected mistakes.

SDT
Only thing I know about B3350 issues are what I've read here on OTT.

I'm not telling you guys anything - - - not operator issues at all.

I'm still astounded by Kubota Corp's lack of support for B3350 owners.

I consider SDT the OTT expert on B3350 issues. He understands the technical as well as legal aspects of the problem much better than I, and probably everyone else, including Kubota Corp.

A couple times I've inquired tp him about "Lemon Law," or Class Action recourse for owners, and SDT says it's not likely going to happen.

I take SDT's word without question, but it still makes me feel "that ain't right.."

I bought a Kubota tractor expecting it would perform the work I intended it to do....incapacitated or sitting in the dealer's shop due to no negligence or improper usage on my part are not part of that equation. This is an engineering/institutional error on Kubota's part...Period.

I feel for you guys.... :mad:

Last edited:

RobStaples

Equipment
L39tlb, BX2680
Dec 14, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
I can’t comment on the internal diesel technology, but my B3350 runs fine now. Yes, there were early problems, some were mine— not wanting to run over 2000rpm just to pull a trailer around the yard. After dealer work, twice, parts and software, and me running high rpm, no issues. It doesn’t like to start in the cold easily, compared to my older pre tier4 L39, but with block heater, it’s fine.
Not justifying their product, just commenting on my experience.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah the issues with op manual and decals, total garbage--at least from an American (English speaking) point of view.

They are japanese designed, and originally the decals and ops manuals are written in Japanese, then translated. Same for WSM's, A&P manuals, a lot of bulletins, etc. All done by japanese engineers; then translated.

For those who have translated Japanese to English, and then the same exact phrases or sentences back to Japanese, they are never the same. It changes. And therein lies a lot of problems for Americans, or more specifically English-speaking Americans. The books just SUCK. Even teh L-01 series regen procedures, they are as clear as mud. A regular English-speaking American needs to re-write ALL of their material so that regular folks like us can understand them.

I can't speak for the Canadians.

Hence, because of the translation issues, I call it "Jinglish". As part of a chain of dealers, I am blessed to go visit with some folks higher up in the chain at Kubota corporate, which is one of many reasons I like to frequent this site and some others, get feedback from other Kubota owners and draw trends. One of them is the literature and it's impossibilities of comprehension for most American readers; and that is one of the many things I touched on while visiting with the higher-up's. Those of you who have read John Deere manuals, you know how much easier they are to read. This is important in diagnosing some of the common-rail stuff. Also important is the assembly & prep of some of the equipment. For instance, JD's A&P books are step by step and it's easy to follow even for an idiot redneck like myself. But Kubota? For example, one machine's book, you get the first few pages of warnings and dangers, then they tell you to count all the parts, then install tires. Then next step remove the sides of the crate (you can't...the top holds them on), then next step put the seat on, then remove the crate top. It jumps all around. THAT kinda stuff is where Kubota is lacking; and where JD knocks the absolute poo out of Kubota (I mean no comparison); and is exactly what I took to those guys at Kubota this year (a JD manual) and said if you guys had this kind of stuff, you could compete...and what I gathered was that it's coming, and soon. Dunno what that meant, maybe they're just trying to make me feel better temporarily, dunno, but I sure hope they can step it up.

They're building great products, but the product support has got to improve, including the books, literature, and all the way up to their tech support. Lots of changes again this year and some good, some suck, but they're slowly getting there.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
yeah the issues with op manual and decals, total garbage--at least from an American (English speaking) point of view.

They are japanese designed, and originally the decals and ops manuals are written in Japanese, then translated. Same for WSM's, A&P manuals, a lot of bulletins, etc. All done by japanese engineers; then translated.

For those who have translated Japanese to English, and then the same exact phrases or sentences back to Japanese, they are never the same. It changes. And therein lies a lot of problems for Americans, or more specifically English-speaking Americans. The books just SUCK. Even teh L-01 series regen procedures, they are as clear as mud. A regular English-speaking American needs to re-write ALL of their material so that regular folks like us can understand them.

Hence, because of the translation issues, I call it "Jinglish". As part of a chain of dealers, I am blessed to go visit with some folks higher up in the chain at Kubota corporate, which is one of many reasons I like to frequent this site and some others, get feedback from other Kubota owners and draw trends. One of them is the literature and it's impossibilities of comprehension for most American readers; and that is one of the many things I touched on while visiting with the higher-up's. Those of you who have read John Deere manuals, you know how much easier they are to read. This is important in diagnosing some of the common-rail stuff. Also important is the assembly & prep of some of the equipment. For instance, JD's A&P books are step by step and it's easy to follow even for an idiot redneck like myself. But Kubota? For example, one machine's book, you get the first few pages of warnings and dangers, then they tell you to count all the parts, then install tires. Then next step remove the sides of the crate (you can't...the top holds them on), then next step put the seat on, then remove the crate top. It jumps all around. THAT kinda stuff is where Kubota is lacking; and where JD knocks the absolute poo out of Kubota (I mean no comparison); and is exactly what I took to those guys at Kubota this year (a JD manual) and said if you guys had this kind of stuff, you could compete...and what I gathered was that it's coming, and soon. Dunno what that meant, maybe they're just trying to make me feel better temporarily, dunno, but I sure hope they can step it up.

They're building great products, but the product support has got to improve, including the books, literature, and all the way up to their tech support. Lots of changes again this year and some good, some suck, but they're slowly getting there.
A couple years ago I was at a dealer Kubota day helping out with a little spiel on how to use the regen features on the L3560 since I have one and used the hints I wrote up (posted in a sticky above) as handouts. The area rep took a copy and asked if it was copyrighted, I said no, please use, since the manual was about as clear as mud. I keep hoping it at least gets used to train the folks that have to explain regens to new owners. If I needed a part time job I'd apply to rewrite some manuals, but I'd need to spend a lot of time in shops with the folks that take these things apart to figure out what they were really trying to say. And maybe a native Japanese speaker, I had a collaborator for some experiments, but he's gone back to Japan. Finding someone that speaks English, Japanese, AND tractor is evidently hard.

thomasnchy

Jan 29, 2016
Cheyenne, Woming

Exactly! I am a service manager for a Kubota dealership and I couldn't have said it any better. The Assembly instructions alone will make a technician throw wrenches. The translations are sometimes humorous though... Like "apply thread fixation medicine". Model/accessory specific instructions would be a great help, especially for the newer techs trying to decipher the assembly instructions.
Great products! And, I will say, that the technical service center has advanced tremendously over the past two years. Our technicians are getting some real answers, real advice, and real help in diagnosing these tier 4 emissions systems. I've seen the effort put forth by Kubota, and I appreciate it a lot!