kubota 2250 won't start

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep, if it's got low compression, the only thing to do is rebuild it.

Depending on what's wrong or what parts are needed, they are not that expensive or hard to rebuild. ;)

Yes pull the fuel lines, pull the return lines, remove the injectors, remove the sealing washers too, they sometimes get stuck to the injector and sometimes they stay in the head.

You can get a compression tester at Harbor Freight for fairly cheap.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
North Idaho Wolfman

"Depending on what's wrong or what parts are needed, they are not that expensive or hard to rebuild."

Hey there NIF (North Idaho Wolfman)....me again :)

I've not had a lot of luck finding parts for a L2250 engine....any suggestions on where to look?
It will be a project I take on after I get a second L245DT dialed in for a local guy.
We just picked it up yesterday evening, and it comes with a second motor/transmission and rear end.
I'll start another thread looking into whether or not I could use the 245 motor in the 2250.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
North Idaho Wolfman

"Depending on what's wrong or what parts are needed, they are not that expensive or hard to rebuild."

Hey there NIF (North Idaho Wolfman)....me again :)

I've not had a lot of luck finding parts for a L2250 engine....any suggestions on where to look?
It will be a project I take on after I get a second L245DT dialed in for a local guy.
We just picked it up yesterday evening, and it comes with a second motor/transmission and rear end.
I'll start another thread looking into whether or not I could use the 245 motor in the 2250.
Different parts from different places.

Let me know what you need and I can probably tell you where to get it. ;)

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I will hit ya up for some help on locating parts when I get this one in the shop.....going to be a while I think.....but it's on "the list".

Question: Off the top of your head, do ya think the FEL on the 2250 would fit on the L245DT?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I will hit ya up for some help on locating parts when I get this one in the shop.....going to be a while I think.....but it's on "the list".

Question: Off the top of your head, do ya think the FEL on the 2250 would fit on the L245DT?
I think it should be able to fit, they are similar size wise, It will probably just take some rework of the mounts.

The hydraulic hookups are going to be an issue because they are totally different between the two tractors, the L245 does not have a provision for a return line, so you'll have to add an adapter to the fill port.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

ddiaz396@aol.com

Equipment
Jun 25, 2012
Kissimmee,Fl
Today, I was going to do a test (Wolfman advice)connecting the injection pump directly with fuel from an auxiliary tank. To get fuel for the auxiliary tank I inserted a clear hose to the tank and....gosh!! was so much gunk at the bottom of the fuel tank!! Black nasty staff!! clogged my hose. I will have to remove the tank for a total cleaning.... I wonder if that staff clogged my injectors and the engine is not getting enough fuel for starting the tractor? Also may explain why the tractor needs to be in the 2200RPM if not will stall...no getting enough fuel? Will do a compression test(also Wolfman advice) how difficult will be to remove the pencil injectors??. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Daniel.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Today, I was going to do a test (Wolfman advice)connecting the injection pump directly with fuel from an auxiliary tank. To get fuel for the auxiliary tank I inserted a clear hose to the tank and....gosh!! was so much gunk at the bottom of the fuel tank!! Black nasty staff!! clogged my hose. I will have to remove the tank for a total cleaning.... I wonder if that staff clogged my injectors and the engine is not getting enough fuel for starting the tractor? Also may explain why the tractor needs to be in the 2200RPM if not will stall...no getting enough fuel? Will do a compression test(also Wolfman advice) how difficult will be to remove the pencil injectors??. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Daniel.
You don't remove the pencil injectors for a compression test on that model, sorry if i said that earlier, you do the compression test on a pencil injector motor, you do it via the Glow plugs, pull them all out and do the test.

If you think you got dirty fuel into the injection pump, then you will have to pull the pump and have it cleaned, I wouldn't recomend you doing it as it's got to be done in a precise manner to not mess up the timing on the pumps.
Send me a PM and I'll be able to help you out with that if needed.
The quick way to test if that is needed is to pull the injector lines off of the pump set the throttle to high and see how high the fountains of fuel are, it they are about 6" and they all look the same then your probably ok to not mess with it.
Now on the pencil injectors, you could pull them and take them to a shop and have them tested or you can connect them to the injection pump out to the side of the engine
Leave the injector line loose at first to bleed out air then snug it up and do the test.
The test is using a piece of cardboard under the tip of the injector, look for a fine mist with no dribbles while cranking, if it does that they are not clogged up.

ddiaz396@aol.com

Equipment
Jun 25, 2012
Kissimmee,Fl
Wolfman, should I remove the manifold(6 bolts) for better access to the injectors and glow plugs? Tomorrow I will take some pictures. I saw the video on Youtube about testing the injection pump( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJn2kDnWQPU this is it). I will take the injection pump to be clean to a shop. I'm thinking to replace the pencil injectors, the tractor is old and I never did that job. Thanks Wolfman. Daniel.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

ddiaz396@aol.com

Equipment
Jun 25, 2012
Kissimmee,Fl
My fuel tank is full of black gunk at the bottom and I need to remove the fuel tank to clean it. I started the process but there are so many bolts and screws!!! I don't have the repair manual ...does anybody have a diagram picture or can explain to me how it is done?. Thanks, Daniel

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you just drain the tank before the fuel filter? The clean it with fresh diesel or kerosene?

Then use some algaecide? And change the filter a couple of times (now and after a couple of tankfuls have gone through?

Or is it something too thick to drain? Then you may have mechanically agitate it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddiaz396@aol.com

Equipment
Jun 25, 2012
Kissimmee,Fl
Update 7-4-2020, I think I found the problem with the tractor not starting.... I removed the hard fuel lines, going from the injection pump to injectors, cranked the tractor and there was no fuel coming from the injection pump(very little). How difficult is to remove the injection pump to take it to repair? I know about the timing, that's why I'm asking...can be done?. The mechanic wants $400 to $750for service the pump and about 3 hours labor($120 an hour)(around $1000 altogether) Thanks, Daniel.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Do you have fuel getting to the injector pump?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Update 7-4-2020, I think I found the problem with the tractor not starting.... I removed the hard fuel lines, going from the injection pump to injectors, cranked the tractor and there was no fuel coming from the injection pump(very little). How difficult is to remove the injection pump to take it to repair? I know about the timing, that's why I'm asking...can be done?. The mechanic wants $400 to $750for service the pump and about 3 hours labor($120 an hour)(around $1000 altogether) Thanks, Daniel.
I'm a little confused, $400 to $750 to service the pump????
And on top of that 3 hours to do what?

Pulling the pump is a 10 min job at most, timing is set via shims under the pump, so when you pull the pump remove the shims and keep them safe.

You have removed the lines so you can remove the pump, it's only 4 nuts.

Send me a PM and I'll beat the living snot out of that pump service fee!

ddiaz396@aol.com

Equipment
Jun 25, 2012
Kissimmee,Fl
Do you have fuel getting to the injector pump?
Yes, I tracked fuel to out hose of lift pump(I even replaced the lift pump) I opened the bleeding valve, removed the little hose and when cranked was fuel coming, but nothing(very, very little)from injection pump.

Last edited by a moderator: