Woodland Mills Stump Grinder for L 2501 HST

TiftTyson

Equipment
2018 L2501 HST, LA 525 Loader, Landpride Rotary Cutter, Box Blades;Bush Hog Til
Mar 24, 2018
ATHENS, GA
Just starting to think about a Woodland Mills WG24 stump grinder for my L 2501 HST. It is rated for tractors with PTO of 20-50 hp. The HST L2501 is rated at 19 PTO HP. Reviews on the Woodland Mills website has one L 2501 HST owner saying his tractor runs it fine. Other owners 18.5-20 PTO HP are saying the same.

I have been clearing my land and find it necessary to cut some pretty big trees with stumps. I also hate tripping over the smaller stumps I forget about. I would eventually like to mow the cleared area without regard to stumps.

I am seriously thinking about purchasing the WG 24 by the end of the year.

My in-laws also have stumps that I could grind and make their place more beautiful.

I think I could make it pay for itself in a few weeks. It is $2299 before taxes and shipping.

Thoughts on the WG24? Anyone using with an L2501 or similar HP Tractor?

https://woodlandmills.com/product/w...JrwHPOLgrLXqVMhpjNCobuGbwD_n1D4hoCGcwQAvD_BwE

Tomztoy

Equipment
L3901 FEL BH Grapple Post Hole Digger Flail Mower Back Blade Rake Stump Grinder
Oct 28, 2016
Cleveland TN
I have a B2601. We had 7 acres clear cut and the logger took 20 plus tractor trailer loads of wood to a local mill. We had a lot of stumps.
The Woodland Mills WG-24 chews it way through stump like a drug crazed beaver. We had red & white oak, gum, pine, curly hickory, cedar and a bunch I had no idea what they were. Stumps ran from 6***8221; to 4***8217;. The real big stumps took some finesse and more time but they are gone.
The WG-24 is a simple design without lots of parts and no hydraulics to deal with. I go over the grinder and grease it every time I use it. I really like the grinder and am not associated with Woodland Mills in any way. They just make a great stump grinder and the customer service is way above average.

Last edited:

raptorfan85

Equipment
L2501, woodland mills wc46 chipper, 60" bolens finish mower, old cordwood saw
May 4, 2019
Richmond NH
My neighbor has the stump grinder. He runs it on another brand orange tractor.... Its pretty impressive. I have no doubt that my 2501 could run it no problem. I have the wc46 chipper so we work together, I should ask to use the stump grinder on my tractor to see how it runs it. I wouldn't want to use it without the hydrostatic trans. Because of all the back and forth. The only real down side is your neck gets sore from all the turning around. Woodland Mills has excellent quality and customer service. I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Tomztoy

Equipment
Oct 28, 2016
Cleveland TN
As said in a prior post, turning around can be a pain in the neck. I am 5’-7” and after a while I was able to sit more sideways and ran the pedal with my left foot. I would not recommend doing the sideward thing until you have a good feeling about the stump by taking a couple of light passes over it. I found that going slow and taking bigger bites worked best for me.
I was planning on buying a camera & screen to see it better but at this point it would be a waste of money. I am almost done with it and actually will hate to see it go down the road.

Tomztoy

Equipment
Oct 28, 2016
Cleveland TN
here ya go.... check out my review on it. https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33977

ive done a lot of stumps with it at this point. worth every penny.

the only thing to note is that you need to be able to get at the stump straight.

if you are on a angled bank & cant get at it up/down? you got a problem.
SDK1968 is spot on in his review. I was not aware of that review when I purchased my grinder. Giving the vendor my cc # did create a bit of initial anxiety that disappeared after the first pass through a stump. I also bought a stone to sharpen the carbide teeth and it is worth it if you are as frugal as I am.

TiftTyson

Equipment
2018 L2501 HST, LA 525 Loader, Landpride Rotary Cutter, Box Blades;Bush Hog Til
Mar 24, 2018
ATHENS, GA
I appreciate everyone’s input on this.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
As said in a prior post, turning around can be a pain in the neck. I am 5’-7” and after a while I was able to sit more sideways and ran the pedal with my left foot. I would not recommend doing the sideward thing until you have a good feeling about the stump by taking a couple of light passes over it. I found that going slow and taking bigger bites worked best for me.
I was planning on buying a camera & screen to see it better but at this point it would be a waste of money. I am almost done with it and actually will hate to see it go down the road.

great point! im also 5'7" & DID go to the camera to avoid the neck cranking & not being solid in the seat. (yes my feet do touch the floor.)

with the camera in place, now i can put the seatbelt on & face forward all the time without all the twisting around.

this does also give you some extra face protection cause you aint looking at it face first. :)

lgeist04

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC, LP RCF2060, LP SGC1060, Woodland Mills WG24, Titan forks.
Jan 2, 2020
Soldier ks
I just got the WG24 yesterday and it works great. It has eaten everything I have thrown at it. My L2501 has no problem running it. I have to say that the L2501 just has a good sound to it when running at pto speed. It sounds a lot meatier than a 25 hp tractor. Like most people have said the only sort of complaint is that your neck does hurt after an hour or so of running it. So my question to those of you that have a camera set up for the wg24 is what camera do you have? Also maybe a picture of the setup would be helpful.