2816 Blower gear box lubrication

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Just bought my BX2380 and got the 2816 snow blower. I'm inspecting it before I test it out for myself and take the top screw off the Gear box (fill hole) thinking there would be dip stick on it or at least be able to look down the hole and see gear oil. I saw neither. When I manually rotated the auger/impeller I could look down the hole and see that the worm gear (or whatever moving part i was looking at) was getting gear oil on it...so that is at least comforting. The owners manual states to "check oil level" monthly....but I dont know what is level with no stick or guidance on what is "full". There is another screw on the face of the gear box which would lead me to conclude based on my one time of filling boat gear oil in an inboard/outboard prop gear assembly that that might be a Fill hole for gear oil....but I have no idea and i'm not about to unscrew it and get gear oil everywhere and none lying around to replace it.

How much gear oil do I put in the box? :confused: Fill her up to the top maybe? But that might be overkill or even bad for it right? Someone school me on gear box oil. Once I figure out how to upload pictures....I'll do that.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
There should be one more plug on the very bottom. That is for draining out all the old oil. To check oil level it should be at the bottom of the front plug. Top plug is for filling.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
the plug on the top is the FILL hole the lower plug on the side is the level indicator remove both plugs fill from the top- when oil comes out the bottom hole STOP it is full thats what I was taught and it works for me

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Front plug is the level plug. Common practice is the oil level should be just at the bottom edge of the cross axle so the seal don't have lube pressure against it but the gearbox is splashing the oil around inside. Same with your gearbox level on your tractor. The gearbox level should be just at the lower edge of your PTO shaft when the unit is sitting level. You don't want the fluid laying against the seal all the time.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Thank you for the information. All is normal. So to "check the level" I have to unscrew the side bolt and make sure oil is either coming out of it or I can see it about to come out of it right? I'll take a peak....

Any recommendations on gear oil? I'd like to use something synthetic at some point.

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
Yes, you should see oil at the level check plug.

As for oil recommendations follow the manual. if you decide to use a gear oil just remember that not all gear oils are yellow metal safe. a yellow metal is a copper, brass, or bronze metal. The gearbox you have is called a worm and wheel gearbox and the wheel is brass.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Yes, you should see oil at the level check plug.

As for oil recommendations follow the manual. if you decide to use a gear oil just remember that not all gear oils are yellow metal safe. a yellow metal is a copper, brass, or bronze metal. The gearbox you have is called a worm and wheel gearbox and the wheel is brass.
Thanks....I’ll get schooled up on brass friendly oils.