Backhoe for L4610D

Hef2020

Equipment
L4610D
Mar 10, 2020
Pataskala, Ohio
Hi All,
I'm new... Have some "land maintaining" responsibilities that have landed on me, and am taking inventory of tools I have at disposal to meet digging responsibilities.

To maintain the place, I've arrived at needing to dig a lot. Replace culverts and clean road gutter. In addition, stump removal to reclaim paths/roads that have been neglected. Renting doesn't make sense.

The land has a L4610D tractor. I've attached a picture with some detail. Researching attachments compatible with L4610 brings me to a backhoe BL4690. There are few of these on the market... One I am aware of has a skid steer mount that is not directly compatible with the L4610D. I've read, and watched, folks say that the '3-point' mount backhoe can overstress the tractor frame, but by knowing this, I could limit myself to tolerance (I know, much easily said...). In my use case, this L4610 is a mower first, frontloader 2nd, (digger third), so subframe is not out of question, but would need to evaluate how subframe inhibits higher priorities before buying/fabricating.

So, how do I make the L4610D into an occasional backhoe? With how few BL4690's are out there, are there any other options I have? I'm not experienced with tractors, but see them as machines with (attachment) options. Any suggestions how how I can make this L4610 tractor I have into an occasional backhoe fitting something that is fairly common? Can I fit something other than a BL4690 to it?

Thanks for suggestions, ideas, feedback.

--Jared

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Welcome to the forum! First step has to be find a hoe that fits. You'll probably have to fabricate a sub-frame, or have someone do it for you. If the sub-frame interferes with a mid mount mower (if that is what you have) you could get a 3pt rear mower.

As you mentioned, using a hoe without the sub-frame is asking for trouble, and when damage occurs it's too late. Fixing is expensive if not causing that tractor to become a parts machine. Using self control while digging is slim and none, because we all think "I know I shouldn't try this, but only once won't hurt", and it bust just as soon as you pull the lever!!

Hef2020

Equipment
L4610D
Mar 10, 2020
Pataskala, Ohio
Good info, D2Cat--thanks. You align with many others that stress mounting backhoe to subframe. I'm now investigating installing a Wallenstein subframe paired with a GX620 or GX920 backhoe (I'm sure there are others, but these seem to be the basic concept). I'm in early stages, but plan to visit an equipment retailer in the next week to further work through the plan.

Thanks again!

North Idaho Wolfman:
I noticed that link after my first post. The poster at that link has a backhoe and is attempting to find a tractor to attach it to... I have a tractor and am attempting to find a backhoe attachment. It's similar in that I mentioned BL4690--the backhoe he owns. But he's pursing exactly opposite of what I'm trying to do. Thanks anyway.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
North Idaho Wolfman:
I noticed that link after my first post. The poster at that link has a backhoe and is attempting to find a tractor to attach it to... I have a tractor and am attempting to find a backhoe attachment. It's similar in that I mentioned BL4690--the backhoe he owns. But he's pursing exactly opposite of what I'm trying to do. Thanks anyway.
My point was you need the same top link reinforcing plate, unless you planning on fabricating your own subframe.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Maybe you can sell your tractor to him or convince him to sell you the backhoe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk