B6000 Pressure Relief Valve

littleorangetractor

Equipment
B2650, LA534 Loader, B2782 Snow Blower, B6000 with Loader
Nov 12, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie ON
I got my B6000 with a FEL about 3 months ago and have had a few problems with the hydraulic system. The first occurred when I was clearing snow from the driveway. The bucket was full of snow and I could not quite reach over top of a 2 X 2 wood driveway marker, so I tried to use the loaded bucket to push it down a bit farther into the soil. As the 2 X 2 started to take up some of the load, it suddenly broke and the bucket dropped about 5 inches and stopped abruptly when the hydraulics stopped it from dropping any farther. Hydraulic oil started leaking out from somewhere around the oil pump. Looking more closely at the pump I could see it had cracked in the casing all along the side. I suspect when the loader dropped suddenly and came to a rapid stop, this created an oil pressure shock wave that reflected back to the pump and over stressed the pump case causing it to crack. Any thoughts on this? If there is an over-pressure relief valve on the system, I dont think its working. When my lift or curl cylinders reach the end of travel, the engine loads down and will stall completely if I dont release the control valve lever fast enough.
There is no other device on the hydraulic system that look like a pressure relief valve. Any input from you guys would be much appreciated. By the way, this is a great forum! I have learned a lot from all the members that share their know-how for the benefit of us new-comers.

P.S. - Make of the FEL and control valve is unknown.
Pictures: cracked oil pump, control valve adjustment (not a pressure relief valve), and overall view of tractor/loader

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks like in your setup, there will be 2 pressure relief valves, from what you are describing the loader relief valve (in the picture) is set to high.

How many lines come off of the control besides the 4 for the loader cylinders, 2 or 3?

littleorangetractor

Equipment
Nov 12, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie ON
There are three; one from the oil pump high pressure port, one to the transmission for three point hitch supply, and one to the top of the transmission fitting.

littleorangetractor

Equipment
Nov 12, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie ON
...Top view of the loader control valve connections:
Top 4 hoses to lift and curl cylinders (A B C D)
Two hoses on right side of photo (P T) Pressure and Reservoir Tank
Hose on bottom center of picture to top of transmission for 3PH (PB?)
Adjustment screw and locknut on lower left side of photo (Relief Valve?)

PO said he had the hoses replaced. Could two of the hoses be connected to the wrong ports? ie. P T PB

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You'll need to get a pressure gauge and a fitting to tap into the In Port of the spool valve and one of the loader lines.
You can then set the Pressure relief valve properly, by the looks of it it's turned all the way up (no relief).

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That loader looks huge for that size tractor.

littleorangetractor

Equipment
Nov 12, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie ON
Thanks for the update Wolfman. Ill order a pressure gauge for the hydraulics and also a set to check engine compression while Im at it.

Lil Foot, Yes it sure is big and is built very sturdy. I cant find any info on the make or model anywhere on it although the PO did repaint it black. Labels may be there somewhere but completely obscured. :(

Thanks all for your advice.

littleorangetractor

Equipment
Nov 12, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie ON
Update:
Although a few months have gone by since I last looked at the hydraulic over-pressure problem, North Idaho Wolfman had diagnosed the problem correctly. The screw adjustment on the control valve IS a pressure relief valve and it was cranked up to maximum pressure. Thanks for helping me out with this problem. On Nov 8-18 it will be one year since I bought the B6000 and it has been a great little machine to have around and has been running trouble-free since the pressure adjustment. :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Update:
Although a few months have gone by since I last looked at the hydraulic over-pressure problem, North Idaho Wolfman had diagnosed the problem correctly. The screw adjustment on the control valve IS a pressure relief valve and it was cranked up to maximum pressure. Thanks for helping me out with this problem. On Nov 8-18 it will be one year since I bought the B6000 and it has been a great little machine to have around and has been running trouble-free since the pressure adjustment. :)
Excellent to hear! ;)