B3300 quit running

crickwaker

Equipment
B3300SU,BH77,LA504FEL
Dec 28, 2014
Kingsville,Oh
Working on the trails today, clearing brush and dragging it clean, when my Kubota quit running. I was pulling a backblade in low gear 4wd at about 2K RPM when the tractor dropped to about 800 RPM and started sputtering. All gauges show normal, she turns over but I can't get more than that same brief little sputter. No fluid leaks. Any ideas?

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
That sounds like no fuel. :eek:
Have you looked in your tank to actually verify that you have fuel?:p

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
It can be more than what's in the tank. Check for flow at the bowl and through the fuel system before the pump. There are a lot of things that can plug up the system. Also check the fuel cap to make certain it has venting flow.

crickwaker

Equipment
B3300SU,BH77,LA504FEL
Dec 28, 2014
Kingsville,Oh
Dumped a can of fuel in and 5 gallons brought me up pretty full on a 10 gallon tank. No improvement. Too late and I'm too tired for tonight, but tomorrow I'll start checking out fuel flow. Of course it had to happen about a mile from the house, and a long hot walk did me no good. Still under warranty and the dealer is 10 minutes away so I'll give him a call if I can't figure it out.

crickwaker

Equipment
B3300SU,BH77,LA504FEL
Dec 28, 2014
Kingsville,Oh
I talked to a neighbor who uses the orange and he said his son has a B series. His son changes fuel filters like he checks the oil, constantly. They think the plastic fuel tank condensates more easily. I happened to have a spare fuel filter so I changed that. Surprise, the old filter had a lot of waxy black junk all over it. However, after changing the filter, my 3300 still wouldn't run more than 5-6 seconds before stalling out, apparently still fuel starved. Finally, I siphoned the fuel out and poured in 2 gallon of fresh diesel from another source. After a couple tries and priming the filter a bit, I got her running. The bad fuel was off road diesel. The new fuel was on the road diesel. As soon as the red fuel cleared the bowl, the engine ran smoothly. Hooray. Now my orange girl is back in the garage where she belongs. Tomorrow, I'll pour some of the bad fuel into a clear container and see what I can see. Planning on taking back where I purchased it and see what they have to say. I wonder if the offroad diesel is lesser quality than the regular diesel? Heavy duty equipment probably uses heavier duty filters and maybe more of them, so maybe they aren't as affected .
Thanks to Shaun, Beck, and Bulldog for taking the time to help. I think I'll use over the road diesel (from a different vendor) from now on as I don't need the long walks back to the garage.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Glad you got it going again.
No matter the fuel that you use well you might want to consider an additive.
I use to work with a company that is associated with the petroleum industry and I can tell you from experience that your best bet on getting clean fuel is from the highest (larger) volume dealers you can get it from. I suggest you dont buy from the smaller mom and pop outfits if you can. Too many horror stories with fuel dispensers, cars, and trucks. Not everyone has that option I understand and Im all for supporting the little business owner but fuel is a different story for me. Right now Im buying my diesel in 5 gal cans from a Loves Truckstop Travel Center until I can get a better way to fuel.
Best of luck

crickwaker

Equipment
B3300SU,BH77,LA504FEL
Dec 28, 2014
Kingsville,Oh
Mud, that's advice I'll take to heart from now on. I'm closer to the freeway station than any other but a friend owns the BP where I get the over the road diesel. And I always try to support the local guy, though not much of his income comes from fuel sales. But I sure don't need to take chances with fuel. I'm also filling from 5 gallon cans and using stabil as an additive. Maybe I need a new additive , also.

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
The black slime that was in your filter is a bacteria. I have had the same problem all summer finally got it straightened out. Get some antibacterial treatment for your fuel it will hopefully cure your problem. The new fuel mixes combined with the plastic tank doesn't help the problem.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
The treatment that I got for my tank is petrolabs H.U.M out fuel biocide. Label says it kills bacteria and breaks up the sludge and slime in the tank. It definitely helped my bx2200.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would bet the black junk you describe is algea. In the right conditions it will grow fast and is murder on a fuel system. Not saying you didn't get some bad fuel but there's really no need to use on-road fuel. The only difference is the color and the tax, quality it the same. I run 100% off road in all my equipment without any issues, no reason you can't do the same.

My best advise is you need to filter your fuel before it goes in your tank. Whether you are using a drum, bulk tank or a 5 gallon jug filtering it first would be better on your fuel system. Using some conditioner will also help but I wouldn't depend on it as a cure for the entire problem. Clean fuel, clean fuel storage and filtering are you best defense. If you wanted to take it up a step you could add a pre-filter to you tractor. I have a Dahl 2 micron fuel filter on my L3000 and it's great. I bought mine from Amsoil but Baldwin carries them now.

You wonder about heavy equ filters. I don't think they are heavier duty so to speak but they are much larger and in most cases more of them. Depending on the engine size some off road equipment may have 4 or 5 fuel filters. But the volume of fuel they filter is amazing. I've burned 200 gallons a day doing bucket work with a trackhoe before. I'm happy you got your baby running, maybe it will be trouble free for a long while.

Attachments

wv bc owner

Jul 26, 2015
US
I use a automotive paint filter to filter it going in the tank. Cheap and disposable.