uh oh... hydraulic oil leak hst

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
we were out digging out multi-flora roses and pushing hedge into brush piles to burn and for cover when I noticed she was losing oil. Had her stop and looked under- seems to be a steady stream coming from the left rear axle. I assume that's a seal surrounding the axle where it comes out of the rear end housing. If I'm right, and that's where the leak is, how much of a job is it to replace and would I need any special tools?

Any other thoughts on the source of the leak and subsequent repair appreciated- intellectual or pseudo-intellectual.

thanks
David

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Before jumping to conclusion as to the root cause, I'd clean it up real well and verify the leakage location. Clear hydraulic fluid can be difficult to find the source and will wick nearly everywhere.

I've used strategically placed paper towels, talc powder, etc... to try and find the leak. Drips are easy to see, but tough to locate.:eek:

Good luck!

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
there's a 1/8th to 3/16th gap between the flange (lip? shoulder?) of the seal/bearing on that side and no gap on the right side. Makes me think looking for the leak is somewhat unnecessary. But I always reserve the right to be wrong. Assuming that's it, can I just tap it back in with a hammer and solve the problem for some unforeseeable amount of time?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
there's a 1/8th to 3/16th gap between the flange (lip? shoulder?) of the seal/bearing on that side and no gap on the right side. Makes me think looking for the leak is somewhat unnecessary. But I always reserve the right to be wrong. Assuming that's it, can I just tap it back in with a hammer and solve the problem for some unforeseeable amount of time?
Yes, just reseat the seal, and see if the leak stops.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
You're probably right on your observation, but I don't recall seeing this description in the original post.

I agree with the above post to position the seal into the original position and see what happens. If possible try to drive it home in a uniform manner.

Good luck and I wish you success.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
200 mph-

it's for fun to omit vital details the first time, isn't it?

I get in a hurry, my brain runs faster than my mouth, and especially faster than my typing fingers. I just hope they don't catch up with it when I get old!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You're probably right on your observation, but I don't recall seeing this description in the original post.

I agree with the above post to position the seal into the original position and see what happens. If possible try to drive it home in a uniform manner.

Good luck and I wish you success.

200MPH, this is all I can say. And I say it every time I post.

"Remember the quality of your question directly affects the quality of your answer."

You did all you can do with what was expressed!

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Sometimes an easy way to find the leak is to dust an area with baby powder. That will help identify where the leak is coming from. I agree with reseating the seal in this case.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Got wheel off and reseated seal. It only took very very light taps. Wondering if it shouldn't be a tighter fit than that. I guess I'll run it and see, but was surprised how little pressure it took to get it back to being seated. Any thoughts?

No picking on me for my first vague, incomplete question. It was a long day and I was tired.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If it comes out again, might try wrapping some teflon tape around the outside of the seal before tapping it back in.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
It's held us so far, but have only run it a couple of hours. I did talk to the dealer (40 miles away and we don't really have a trailer, plus I'm sure they'd charge her a couple hundred to pull the cover and axle, then they'd want to replace everything while they were in there. He did say that if it comes out again, clean it up and put some locktite (however it's spelled) on it. I think I like the Teflon tape idea a little better. I'd done a post a month or so ago about whether it hurts anything to overfill the hst, since she did (she checked it cold and not running). Everyone seemed to think no problem. The dealer said that one of the things that could have caused it would be if too much pressure built up and blew it out. So, now I guess that overfilling CAN be an issue. She probably lost a quart (well, it seemed like a gallon) between the time it started, the time I saw it, driving 1/2 mile back to the house, and sitting overnight. Now the level is just right. lol

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's held us so far, but have only run it a couple of hours. I did talk to the dealer (40 miles away and we don't really have a trailer, plus I'm sure they'd charge her a couple hundred to pull the cover and axle, then they'd want to replace everything while they were in there. He did say that if it comes out again, clean it up and put some locktite (however it's spelled) on it. I think I like the Teflon tape idea a little better. I'd done a post a month or so ago about whether it hurts anything to overfill the hst, since she did (she checked it cold and not running). Everyone seemed to think no problem. The dealer said that one of the things that could have caused it would be if too much pressure built up and blew it out. So, now I guess that overfilling CAN be an issue. She probably lost a quart (well, it seemed like a gallon) between the time it started, the time I saw it, driving 1/2 mile back to the house, and sitting overnight. Now the level is just right. lol
I have to disagree with D2Cat and agree with the dealer, use loctite or RTV on the seal, teflon tape can seriously damage the HST and or hydraulic system if any of it found it's way into the system.

Always check hydraulic levels with the equipment on level ground and cold.

One thing that overfilling can do is flood vents.

Also just plain old dirt/ debris / and other foreign material, can clog vents and cause over pressure issues, and yes pop wheel seals.

Last edited:

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
Wolfman-

I thought you were supposed to check it hot. Good to know. And good to know about equipment being on the ground. Now, do I have to use Kubota's hst fluid, or can I use something I can get locally?

the dealer told me there's a breather- shaped like a horseshoe- just a piece of rubber hose, right near the fill and dipstick, but I don't see it for the life of me.

Thanks

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
There is a Breather and it is PN: K2561-36330

It can be seen in the attached drawing. Item 210

Both my Grand L's have the horseshoe shaped breather.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Wolfman-

I thought you were supposed to check it hot. Good to know. And good to know about equipment being on the ground. Now, do I have to use Kubota's hst fluid, or can I use something I can get locally?

the dealer told me there's a breather- shaped like a horseshoe- just a piece of rubber hose, right near the fill and dipstick, but I don't see it for the life of me.

Thanks
Breather on a BX is on top of the three-point cover right over the rock shaft. It is a small red plastic cap about 1/4" - 3/8" in diameter. You do not have the curved hose breather.

The BX rear axle shaft seal can almost be installed by hand so it does not take much for one to get caugt and pulled out. The bigest thing about installing them is to not have oil on the outer surface of the seal or in the axle housing when you install it. Needs to be a dry fit. Aslo a small bead of sealer on the inside of the lip helps greatly.

Last edited:

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
I knew we'd lost some fluid, but had no idea how much. Assumed was a quart or 2. Went to the dealer and was going to get a couple of quarts, but got 2.5 gallons instead. Started adding and checking dipstick. At 5 qts, I figured we HAD to be close. At 9, we finally registered on the dipstick. I'm amazed the thing would still move.

I guess the seal will have to be monitored- I didn't take it off and it clearly had fluid on it. I just tapped it in. I guess we'll see how long it holds.