B2710 Hydaulic Filter Screen Full of Metal

WranglerBowman

Equipment
B2710
Apr 14, 2019
MD
I bought my B2710 tractor 2 years ago, from someone who couldn't get it started and left it in the woods. The first thing I did when I brought it home was get it to start, then replaced all the fluids. Tractor hour meter says 618, but I don't believe it. I've only put about 20 hours on this tractor so far and I've noticed that after running the tractor for an hour or so the hydraulics start to get slower and then to a point where they barely work. I started looking through the owners manual trying to trouble shoot and I came across the changing your hydraulic fluid section. I had no idea there was the little screen filter that also needed to be cleaned... I tipped the tractor about 30 degrees to the side, so I wouldn't waste the relatively new fluid, and pulled the screen filter out. Didn't look like the screen filter had ever been pulled in the tractor as I had to break the paint seal. The screen filter was nearly completely clogged with metal shavings. I used a small magnet to try and get all the shavings I could out. Now that I've seen this I plan to drain all the hydraulic fluid out of the whole system and splash some diesel fuel through it to help work out the shavings. I'm nervous as hell that I have a huge issue now and that other hydraulic components could be at risk. I'm guessing my hydraulic pump is the culprit for the shavings but not even sure how the tractor got to this point... Does anyone have any recommendations or advise?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
DO NOT flush the system with diesel. Flush it with a cheap hydraulic fluid and then replace that with UDT or SUDT

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
Definitely don't flush with diesel or kerosene!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What color were the shavings?

And a more likely culprit to the shavings is the HST not the hydraulic pump.

How is the movements of the engine?
Have you run the PTO?

And yes like others have pointed on NO DIESEL!
Simple, cheap, UDT compliant hydraulic fluid and nothing else.

WranglerBowman

Equipment
B2710
Apr 14, 2019
MD
Got it, nothing but hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic system.

@Wolfman
The shavings were clean metallic shavings just like you ran a drill through brittle steel with a dull bit that didn't ribbon.

Not sure what you mean by movements of the engine?... I didn't notice any rpm bog downs and engine seems to run well.

I have run the mid and rear PTO with implements on and didn't notice any issues.

Is it typical to have metal shavings in the filter screen of an HST tractor? I really know very little about HST mechanics but will look into it.

Really wanted to flush out as much of the shavings before even starting the tractor again so none of them get sucked up into the system and cause more damage. Any advice is appreciated.