Fuel Gauge for L245

JunkyardDog

Equipment
L245
Nov 16, 2018
Cypress, TX
The fuel gauge (34150-3547-1) on my L245 has started leaking. It seems logical to replace it. It looks like a clear plastic tubing.

However, it does not seem to be available at all of the usual sites I have looked at (KubotaUSA, Messick's, Coleman Equipment, etc.). I tried searching with and without the last hyphen. I got this part number straight from the manual.

It looks like just plain nylon tubing, like is used for fridge water lines, would be a good replacement choice. However, I do not know if it will stand up to the exposure to diesel fuel, or the elements.

Does anyone have experience that they will share as to whether this is a good choice?

Also, if this were to be used, how can I be sure of a good seal? It seems to me that it is not pliable enough to form a good seal. I've heard that heating it with a hair dryer will help. But, I have no experience with that.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I ended up putting a small piece of opaque small engine fuel line tubing on mine. Works great no leaks.

When I saw fuel gauge L245, I thought WTF?? My 345 has a crappy sight hose.

Last edited:

JunkyardDog

Equipment
L245
Nov 16, 2018
Cypress, TX
Motionclone, the manual calls it a fuel gauge. But, "crappy sight hose" is a little more accurate!

I have a small caliber black fuel hose on it now. But, now there is no gauge.

I'll have to look for an opaque style of hose. Thanks! It gives me a direction.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

JunkyardDog

Equipment
L245
Nov 16, 2018
Cypress, TX
North Idaho Wolfman, I thought I was using the correct site when I went to https://apps.kubotausa.com/quick-parts/. Apparently, I was not. THANKS! This site (https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/) is much, much more useful than the other.

That does bring up a pet peeve I have. While it can be a big task, why is it too difficult for manufacturers to keep track of their replacement of obsolescence? I mean, they are the ones creating the change. I should have been able to find this without bothering others! It just rings of pure laziness!

I don't expect you to answer. Just on a rant.

Again, THANKS!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are also clamps (sort of) at the ends of the tube. They are wire spirals to hold it tight.

Don’t ask me the proper way to install them, I used the brute force method but I imagine that they should be installed onto the tank extension then install the tube then install the clamp onto the tube.

I put them on the tube and then tried pushing them on. Ended up having to just get the tube on and then feed the clamp over the expansion on the tank extension.

I could not get the tube warmed up to a good temperature either, too warm it would not push along, too cool and it could not go over the expanded part of the extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk