How to remove pulley from 44" deck?

ssolid

Equipment
B1550 HST, 48" Belly Mower, MF 1670 Finish Mower. T1560 w/ 44" Deck
May 21, 2014
TN
I have a deck that has 2 of the 3 spindles with bad bearings.

I have the bolt off of all 3 [figured I would replace all the bearings at the same time].

I am having no luck removing the pulleys.

I see the keeper but have no clue as to how to get any of the pulleys off.

I have tried PB Baster, heat....I do not own a pulley puller. ..However it seems as though they are on so hard that I may damage the pulley.

Any suggestions on how to get these off and then how to replace the bearings would be greatly appreciated.

Ssolid

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your going to have to give better or more info and pictures.
That tractor didn't come with a 44" deck, it did come with a 48", 54", and 60" deck.
Just looking at the 48" model if you removed the bolts that hold the pulleys on they should just pop right off.

Post some pictures of what your dealing with, and someone should be able to help. ;)

ssolid

Equipment
May 21, 2014
TN
The deck is off my Kubota T1560. I can't seem to figure out how to add things to my profile.

I need to do some bearing work on my 48" deck that is on the B1550 also. Figuring on having issues with that one also. Both of these machines are new to me this summer.

Anyhow, I have attached the pictures. Not sure how to embed them in the text here.

Any help/comments/suggestions/cheap shots are gladly accepted.

Thank You.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks that helps a lot!

First if you want to change anything like equipment or such its on the top bar UserCP.
User CP.JPG

Ok the deck your working on is a RCK44LT, First get some PB Blaster, stuff works like a charm, soak the spindles were they go threw the pulley and let them soak for a day or so, get 2 or more blocks of 4x4 wood or such, to support the deck right under the pulley (make sure the blocks are large enough that it keeps the skirt of the deck off the ground) on each side of the spindle that you want to get off, reinstall the nut will it's flush with the top of the spindle shaft, whack it real square and hard with a good sized hammer, the pulley should pop, then remove the nut and disassemble, if it still needs to be driven off more use a brass draft punch to keep the threads of the shaft from becoming damaged.
I've had many a spindle shaft that just wouldn't cooperate and had to be cut off and out, depending on the age and condition you might just have to beat the shaft out and get a new shaft and maybe even a pulley.

Last edited:

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
it is possible that the two holes were intended for pulley removal. If you can get a nut between pulley and frame then a steel bar with two holes drilled to spacing of pulley holes, two suitable bolts and tighten bar against shaft.

hope this is understood
cheers

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I made up a puller out of some scrap metal, an 11" stud and some nuts. Made it for pulling plates, but a similar set up would work
for your pulleys :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssolid

Equipment
May 21, 2014
TN
I soaked it in PB Blaster overnight and tried again today...no luck.

That tool is exactly what I was dreaming up....I made this wood one to hold the pully so I could get the nut off the top.

I am gonna see if my buddy can weld me one up.

Any other thoughts from folks.

Attachments

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I have a deck that has 2 of the 3 spindles with bad bearings.

I have the bolt off of all 3 [figured I would replace all the bearings at the same time].

I am having no luck removing the pulleys.

I see the keeper but have no clue as to how to get any of the pulleys off.

I have tried PB Baster, heat....I do not own a pulley puller. ..However it seems as though they are on so hard that I may damage the pulley.

Any suggestions on how to get these off and then how to replace the bearings would be greatly appreciated.

Ssolid[/QUOTe I had the same problem with an old Hustler in the end I had to relplace the complete spindle and pulley. But if you think the shafts are ok figure out what is cheaper shaft or pulley and if it comes to it cut the cheaper part off. Good luck Barry

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Keep going with the PB Blaster and patience!

You may want to try spraying it and then lightly tapping on the pulley to vibrate it and allow the penetrating fluid to soak down.

I have also hung the weight of the equipment on the pulley you are trying to get off. Then gravity is working on it 24 hours a day while you are stewing over it at work! Don't lift it too high off the floor there is no benefit over a quarter inch or so.

ssolid

Equipment
May 21, 2014
TN
I put PB on every day...hit all around on the top with a hammer....will try the suspension idea next. I am thinking this pully has never been off. The other 2 are shiny on the inner portion.

Thanks again for all the input.
I will continue to check for updates and will send info on what happens with the pulley saga.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
A little trick and old timer i used to work with showed me. Pry evenly on both sides at the same time, and while prying up on it, give it a good stout tap with a hammer. Something about the impact will temporarily realease the bind on the shaft. Just be careful and don't hold your head over it. I've had them fly off before using that method.

ssolid

Equipment
May 21, 2014
TN
Update - Re: How to remove pulley from 44" deck?

Still not off.

Tried heating it again and using wax (saw a guy do this on YouTube).
No luck...and now I have dried wax in there.

About to just cut it off and buy a new one.

Grass is getting tall. :mad:

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Had same problem with a 60 inch deck. I had to use my shop press. Yes messed up pulley looked like a pancake sounded like a 12 gauge when popped off but got tired of fooling with it and used my press bought new pulley no regrets good luck. Handy

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have used heat/water with some success, heating and cooling a few times. H bar pullers are cheap.

Boiling water will heat pulley rapidly. Used it a few times.

I can remember when i had to this sort of thing with limited tools,
Forcing me to buy what i need to get jobs done.
About 30 grand later i still dont have what i need.

Might be an idea to take it to a buddy with a wider range of tools. Maybe a box if beeer or a sammich will get it done.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Use a torch and just cut the pulley off!
You'll be lucky if you're having so much of a problem with getting the pulley off that the spindle shafts will even come out of the bearings.
You may be stuck with just buying new spindles!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Oxy/acetelyne torch to cut it off.
Grinder-best to do it at the keyway groove, less chance of hitting shaft.

Price pulley/jackshaft, whichever is more expensive is the part you wanna save.

Last edited:

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I have had great success removing pulleys from the shaft by installing the nut flush with the top of the threaded shaft. Then used an air impact with a round bit to hammer on the shaft while pulling up on the pulley. You can use a 1/2 drive socket to keep the impact centered over the shaft or drill a small shallow hole in the shaft. If possible use heat on the pulley. Also a combination of ATF/acetone is a super penetrating oil combination.

ssolid

Equipment
May 21, 2014
TN
Called Kubota...they said it was $65 an hour and he didnt guarantee not ruining the pulley.

I just changed some fluid in me X and have used ATF that I will put on it with some acetone. I have tried everything else.

I have a buddy that thinks he can make me that pulley Puller that was shown earlier.

Again, thank you all for the input...I will update as things pro-gress (not progress).

Thanks

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
I think you need to remove the 4 bolts from the underside of the deck holding your bearing housing, you need to remove the spindle from the pulley, give it a good smack on the pulley end, this is an American deck using inch fasteners not metric so it won't be so bad finding nuts or bolts for it. The bearings are 6205. Once you have the bolts out, you can use the deck as rest for the pulley, so it won't get bent up, remember... remove the spindle from the pulley.

Big Kahuna