Installing seal for OD of throwout Bearing Holder

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Is there a tool to pull this seal into place?

My hand is too big to get much done from underneath. Do I need to put it in the freezer overnight? Fab. up a sleeve to go over the neoprene material?

How did you do it? Thanks.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
D2Cat, I'm not sure which seal you mean but with stiff neoprene seals, I have had really good success boiling them to soften them. I do that with internal cylinder seals. Just put it in a pan of water and bring it to a boil then install while it's still warm and pliable. I also have a great recipe for chicken and rice.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
rentthis, I appreciate your quick response. The neoprene isn't really the problem. The neoprene has a steel ring around to to hold it in place. The ring fits into the bell housing from the backside. So the work space is from the back of the bell housing towards the transmission. The seal has the neoprene facing the transmission (to keep "stuff" off the throw out bearing and clutch area.

So you have to install the seal from the back, but not injure the neoprene.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I've made up a couple tools to install the seals while the shaft is in place. Both were pieces of pipe cut off square, with the same od as the seal. You get the seal on and started. Then tap the end of the pipe lightly to install the seal. One was pvc, the other was a piece of sd40 pipe. The steel pipe I welded a piece of plate to the end of it to whack on :) for another seal, the original seal was a two piece brass (bearing isolator). Worked great for grease but is worthless for oil. I separated the two pieces and the outside piece is the perfect size to tap the seal back in. On that one I use the piece of seal and a brass punch to tap it in

Oh I forgot to mention. When starting the seal, grease it pretty good, and since your going against the angle of the seal. Just give it a twist side to side when working it up and over any lip. It helps keep the edges from rolling back on itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
That sounds like some of my "special tools". I make up something that will work and when I see it 3 months later, I have no idea why I made it. Some call it old age but I like to refer to it as "maturity".

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yup :) sounds like my shop. Boss will come out, and see one of my "tools" sitting in the corner. He'll snag it and throw it in the scrap bin. 20 minutes later I'm pulling it back out and sticking it in a different corner :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk