L235 Valve Stem

btrahan23

Equipment
L235
Oct 30, 2020
Jennings, Louisiana
Hi guys I have a slow leak around a valve stem on my L235. I started looking and found they have valve stem that can be replaced without breaking the bead of the tire. It seem like it will be a lot easier and cheaper than bringing it to a tire shop any I can get "4" for $20. I was wondering has anyone ever used this type and what are the Pro's / Con's of using them? Also they have different sizes, does anyone know what is the size of the hole the stem goes in on a L235. Thanks

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If the air is escaping around the outside between the rim and the valve stem the entire valve needs to be replaced. In order to to do that the tire needs to be "broken down". I have never seen or heard of a valve stem that is put onto the rim from the outside in. They are made to be pulled into place from the inside out which means you must break the bead.

I looked for a valve as you described and all I found were people changing the valve core without removing the valve body. That will only work if the valve core itself has gone bad. The air would be leaking from the inside of the stem.

rgk66

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
Hi guys I have a slow leak around a valve stem on my L235. I started looking and found they have valve stem that can be replaced without breaking the bead of the tire. It seem like it will be a lot easier and cheaper than bringing it to a tire shop any I can get "4" for $20. I was wondering has anyone ever used this type and what are the Pro's / Con's of using them? Also they have different sizes, does anyone know what is the size of the hole the stem goes in on a L235. Thanks

rgk66

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
They are called Colby Valves. I used them on my BX rear tires for 2 years now. The package states they fit most standard valve holes ( ,453 inch). Sure was a lot easier than removing and breaking down the tire.

Reactions: 2 users

Bisleybob

Equipment
B7500
Aug 15, 2020
Harding Pennsylvania
They are called Colby Valves. I used them on my BX rear tires for 2 years now. The package states they fit most standard valve holes ( ,453 inch). Sure was a lot easier than removing and breaking down the tire.
Never saw them before, good idea and nice to know that they exist

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The problem with them is that any remnants of your old stem remains trapped and bouncing-around inside your tire. While this may not be an issue for most, it can cause damage to the tire-liner and lead to leaks. Any “balanced” tire (such as on automobiles and highway travel) will cause an unbalanced condition.
Any corrosion of the wheel-rim mounting socket will remain inside (most likely caused from liquid filled tires.) If the wheel-rim is not inspected on older wheels a dangerous, weakened condition may pass uncorrected unless the tire is “broken down”. If you’ve never experienced a failed wheel on older equipment then you can be in for a thrill. (You DO always wear a seatbelt and have ROPS, right?)

Minor points for most, perhaps... but something to consider.

btrahan23

Equipment
L235
Oct 30, 2020
Jennings, Louisiana
Well it’s been a week since I installed the Colby valves. They installed in less than a minute per tire with a 9/16” hand wrench. It took longer to fill them back up with air than to install them. I have been checking everyday and they are holding tight with no leaks what so ever. It sure beats the heck out of bringing the tractor to a tire shop. I definitely recommend them if you have a leak around the valve stem like I did. Also if you look at the pictures the stem is in the middle of the bend on the rim and it still works great.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for the update.

Reactions: 1 user