Got to take my roof off.... again

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
We had snow coming down today !!!!
Thanks... We did have a hard freeze last night. I need to dig my spuds out. Might be a long, cold winter here in the Wolverine.

Tractors are inside a heated shop anyway.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Could you please explain this strange word, "snow"? 90 and beautiful today. Turning cold tonight 68 for the low.
Couple links below lol , we won't see your low as high for a few months :(
The 2nd link Is important. Example what is needed for 29* outside temp this am for indoor temp of 71*

Reactions: 1 user

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Could you please explain this strange word, "snow"? 90 and beautiful today. Turning cold tonight 68 for the low.
Snow is like humidity only way colder.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Works for me. Winter here don't bother me at all. I park my butt in front of the fire and toast my feet.

Winter is when the land rests so it can produce bountiful crops next year.

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
snow.jpeg

Currently -9C (16F), supposed to warm up to -5C. And I'm supposed to be clearing bush and pounding fence posts.

Heated shop... I wish. I think my tractor is pampered because I keep it in a ShelterLogic garage-in-a-box.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Didn't get it off yesterday. Got sidetracked with some guns....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Got the roof off today (with a friend's help and my other tractor's FEL and put in the new relay. First one I pulled (rearmost relay in the bracket was the failed one. Popped in a new one (coated the lugs with di-electric grease) and all is good again. 3 blower speeds on ac and heat. Guess I won't be freezing my butt off this winter plowing snow.

Roof was a snap. My fiberglassing in all the Rivnuts made them immobile so all the 12 screws backed right out, no issue, didn't even need my notched putty knife. Staying nice and clean up there (with the new roof gasket) as well. 90 bucks well spent and no stress cracks in the inner roof either. I was concerned about that in as much as a new roof is over 1300 bucks.

I'll reinstall it later on this week sometime when it warms up a bit.

Next time I have relay issues, I'll just remove the roof screws on the left side and center. All the electrical relays (3) are right above the left door against the top of the ROPS structure. Now I know where they are, I can access them easier.

heat this winter. How nice.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interesting; I only have trouble with the two screws on the front of the roof. They have a bracket that is held on with rivets and the 'nut' always wants to spin so I have to either reach in with long needle nose pliers or pry up with something. But pulling the roof always seems pretty easy, just very bulky for one person.
Earlier this year the on/off button for the air conditioner went bad and I have to pull the roof.
My M9 has been a great tractor but it has had more than it's share of A/C problems. Hopefully that is all behind me.

What I use is a putty knife with a 'V" notch filed in the end to pull down on the screws as I back them out. All mine (with the exception of the 2 front ones ) are now securely fiberglassed into the roof itself. The front 2 in the aluminum strips move, but the putty knife applies enough down pressure to back them out.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No' I didn't. Pretty up front and simple minus the way overpriced OEM relay which might still get returned. On the fence with that. Only 3 relay's under the roof, all on the left side. One for the blower, one for the ac compressor and one for the defroster grids. All the same btw. So, I have a spare or 2 spares as the case may be.

Maybe I can barter for some other parts in exchange. I'm needing a positive battery cable for the open station M9. The previous owner for some reason, cut off the lead terminal at the batter y end but didn't tin the cut end so it's oxidized and needs replaced. I've cleaned it with muratic acid and attempted to tin it with mixed results. new positive cable is $135 bucks. I run commercial 1000 CCA batteries in both units but an oxidized cable retards current flow so winter cold starts can be dicey.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
What I use is a putty knife with a 'V" notch filed in the end to pull down on the screws as I back them out. All mine (with the exception of the 2 front ones ) are now securely fiberglased into the roof itself. The front 2 in the aluminum strips move, but the putty knife applies enough down pressure to back them out.
Knock on wood but so far I am not having trouble with any of the screws but the front two. A flat screwdriver and a pair of mini needle nose pliers have been working fine.
Don't jinx it for me. ;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All the 'rivnuts' are staying tight in the fiberglass mat I put around them. and no more stress cracking either. Have the roof upside down on saw horses right now. I added some more Reflectix on the inside at the front, I notice a huge increase in ac efficiency with the insulation. This summer, all I needed was the fan on 1 to freeze me out. Staying nice and clean up there too. Replacing the old stiff rubber surround gasket with the new one (90 bucks) made a huge difference in keeping the dust out. The original gasket was stiff and crumbly. Came off in chunks.

Gotta keep the old girl on tip top shape. Cannot afford a new one, actually, don't want a new one. All that emissions stuff scares me.

I need to mount the snowplow and the rear blower yet (once I get the roof back on). I know if I put the plow and blower on, it won't snow..... :p