Chevy or Dodge???

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A really nice PU if I may ask what was the out the door price, as my old Chevy is getting a little long in the tooth and a new one might be on the horizon

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Niether FORD

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Had an '82 silverado with 5.7 and 4b carb, 18 mpg tops, '90 silverado with 5.7, 18 mpg tops, '98 silverado 5.7, 18 mpg tops.. You'd think after 32 years they could do better. I also have a '73 mustang w' 460cid, 4b and 700r4, gets 22 mpg and 14 mpg, depends on how you drive it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It has the 5.7 litre with the vvt. Switchs to four cylinders when you let off the gas.
Daren,

Asked another GM buddy at work today - we're not experts, but we both thought the 5.7l did go away with the 2000/'01 changes. The 5.3 was the replacement for the "350," or 5.7, and they brought in the 4.8 as the smaller V-8. I had a 5.7, but it was before that era ('97?). I had a couple of "real" 350's years ago, but that's another story!!:D

I think by the time I got my 2003 with a 4.8, the "big" engine for the 1500 was the 5.3. The 2500/3500 have had the 6.0 for quite a while, before and since 2001. Don't believe that was an option engine for the 1500.

If I am right, it is no issue other than getting parts. My first 5.3 didn't get the MPG of the "old" 5.7, but made more HP. The VVT makes the MPG better, if you can keep your feet out of the injectors!;)

No matter whether 5.3 or 5.7 - you still got a hell of a truck in my book!!:cool:

Best wishes, and hide the keys!;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren,

Asked another GM buddy at work today - we're not experts, but we both thought the 5.7l did go away with the 2000/'01 changes. The 5.3 was the replacement for the "350," or 5.7, and they brought in the 4.8 as the smaller V-8. I had a 5.7, but it was before that era ('97?). I had a couple of "real" 350's years ago, but that's another story!!:D

I think by the time I got my 2003 with a 4.8, the "big" engine for the 1500 was the 5.3. The 2500/3500 have had the 6.0 for quite a while, before and since 2001. Don't believe that was an option engine for the 1500.

If I am right, it is no issue other than getting parts. My first 5.3 didn't get the MPG of the "old" 5.7, but made more HP. The VVT makes the MPG better, if you can keep your feet out of the injectors!;)

No matter whether 5.3 or 5.7 - you still got a hell of a truck in my book!!:cool:

Best wishes, and hide the keys!;)
You were right:eek: dealer said 5.7l, just went out and looked myself. Emmisions tag says 5.3 :( ahh well, always wanted a z71 since they came out. Finally got my dream truck :D:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Best wishes, man!! :cool:

Hope you have much enjoyment with your truck. I know I've liked them for many years!!;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That 5.3 is 325cuin, almost a 327, they don't run half bad my old gal runs 16/18 depending on the gas. Canuck gas it gets about 14,they do something strange to their gas up there. I have an extended cab with a 8 foot bed 4wd and trust me it turns like a school bus but that long wheel base she rides like a dream, even with out a load of fire wood

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I think this was a good fit for me :) old truck got 14mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The 2007 crew cab was my first 5.3, and did not have the VVT. Almost didn't buy that year - first year with many changes for GM. Got better mileage with a 5.7 years before.

Good truck - but normal for that was 14 or 15 mpg, summer, winter, and fall. No matter.

This one with VVT gets much better - 16 mpg this week, and that's with a 5-10 minute morning warm-up every day before I leave for work.

The Z71 is a good package. I think all GM rear differentials are actually locking, not a limited slip like other brands. It also includes a higher ride/shocks for the back, and skid plate. My first Z71 was an Ext. Cab '97 or 98, Victory Red over Silver, with a 5.7.

My 2003 1500 was not a Z71, and did not have a locking rear end. Damn thing did not go anywhere w/o 4wd. It also was manual 4wd, which for me is fine, but might cause others grief.

One BIG bit of advice - your truck has an electronic 4wd switch. DO NOT EVER flip that switch if you are SPINNING. Can tear transfer case apart.

If you are just going down the road with good traction, and want to put it into 4wd, can do so up to 50mph.

I've also found I can trade every 4-6 years, and with some of GM's incentives, make out pretty good. These trucks are something people like used - as you know.

We live in a small town, and our local dealer likes my trades. After 6 years and incentives, traded the 2007 for the 2013 with a $14k difference. Couldn't run a used truck for 6 years on $14k.

Again- you made a great choice, and I think/hope you will agree very shortly!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The 2007 crew cab was my first 5.3, and did not have the VVT. Almost didn't buy that year - first year with many changes for GM. Got better mileage with a 5.7 years before.

Good truck - but normal for that was 14 or 15 mpg, summer, winter, and fall. No matter.

This one with VVT gets much better - 16 mpg this week, and that's with a 5-10 minute morning warm-up every day before I leave for work.

The Z71 is a good package. I think all GM rear differentials are actually locking, not a limited slip like other brands. It also includes a higher ride/shocks for the back, and skid plate. My first Z71 was an Ext. Cab '97 or 98, Victory Red over Silver, with a 5.7.

My 2003 1500 was not a Z71, and did not have a locking rear end. Damn thing did not go anywhere w/o 4wd. It also was manual 4wd, which for me is fine, but might cause others grief.

One BIG bit of advice - your truck has an electronic 4wd switch. DO NOT EVER flip that switch if you are SPINNING. Can tear transfer case apart.

If you are just going down the road with good traction, and want to put it into 4wd, can do so up to 50mph.

I've also found I can trade every 4-6 years, and with some of GM's incentives, make out pretty good. These trucks are something people like used - as you know.

We live in a small town, and our local dealer likes my trades. After 6 years and incentives, traded the 2007 for the 2013 with a $14k difference. Couldn't run a used truck for 6 years on $14k.

Again- you made a great choice, and I think/hope you will agree very shortly!
I have the same set up in my work truck with the twist knob to engage the 4wd;) Had a 4wd service truck before that. Weighed 18,000lbs. used to rally it in the sugar sand in florida :D Sugar sand and that much weight was interesting to say the least. Had to learn how to drive off road all over again. You definitely didn't stop, or you sunk :eek:
The gmc has the low profile suspension in it (z88) on the dealer option codes. Sit's about an inch taller then my old 2wd. Not gonna be off road much, so I don't need the taller suspension. Got the 4wd for winter, and the gravel roads around here. You need 4wd to make it up some of the hills if your towing something.

Oh, and I love this truck:cool:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Well, after.putting 100k miles on the old girl, she started getting cranky. Turning into a money pit actually. Then yesterday she started knocking on start up, and then would quiet down after getting warmed up.

After a discussion with my wife we decided to trade the old girl in yesterday.

We came home with a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500, with 42k miles. Truck is Leather and loaded 😁😁😁😁 It even has air-conditioned seats 👍👍👍👍👍👍 Got a really good deal on a trade in for the 09 sierra.

Trucks 4x4, and has the 5.3l engine like the old one, with a few more pounds of towing capacity, as well as the integrated brake controller 😁😁😁😁

20210124_114459.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
My son totaled my 2004 GMC 2x4 dually this week. He walked away without a scratch on him. 451000 miles and still looked good. The only major problem was the injectors and I went through several before I found a garage that knows what they are doing. My 2007 GMC dually now has 335000 miles and counting. There is a problem with the hydro boost on the GM trucks, they keeping leaking.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Nice truck Daren.
You’ll really like those ventilated seats in the summer when the truck has been sitting in the sun. If you have them enabled in the settings, when you remote start it, the seat blowers will kick on so the leather isn’t blazing hot. The 2014-15 seats were cooled and the 2016+ seats are ventilated. They are my wife’s favorite feature on my 2016 Silverado

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
...I have know people who look at the resale value of a truck as the #1 thing when considering a truck, I look at them and wonder where the @#$# their brain is, WHO in their right mind wants to sell something in the future when they havent driven it yet ............
People that have owned more than one. People that don't keep them for 20 years. People that look at the future.

I tell my kids all the time, spend what you want on your car, but in the end it is money spent/wasted. By that I mean, every vehicle (driver) I have ever owned is sold and gone. So all those stereos, wheels etc., were money wasted.

Fortunately, it is just money and you can always make more.

Which truck?

Personally I have owned a bunch of Fords and won't change until there is some really compelling reason.

I don't know how you guys can keep the same truck for hundreds of thousands of miles. No thanks. And I love every single one of them when I pick them up.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The kid just bought a new 1 ton Dodge crew cab, her last one had about 300K before something went tits up and fryed all the on board computers. At that point her 04 was worth less than getting all the electronics replaced. SO she got a new one, she says it has more power than the old one runs smoother and quieter. With a 4 horse goose neck, behind moving stock she says you dont know anything is back there. ON the open highway ( with out the trailer) she is getting between 20 and 22 mpg depending on how hard she is running

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I don't know how you guys can keep the same truck for hundreds of thousands of miles. No thanks. And I love every single one of them when I pick them up.
Like you said, it's all money spent. If I'm spending that money, I'm damn well going to get my money's worth.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Last Chevy had 240K on her before things started to nickel and dime me

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Well, after.putting 100k miles on the old girl, she started getting cranky. Turning into a money pit actually. Then yesterday she started knocking on start up, and then would quiet down after getting warmed up.

After a discussion with my wife we decided to trade the old girl in yesterday.

We came home with a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500, with 42k miles. Truck is Leather and loaded 😁😁😁😁 It even has air-conditioned seats 👍👍👍👍👍👍 Got a really good deal on a trade in for the 09 sierra.

Trucks 4x4, and has the 5.3l engine like the old one, with a few more pounds of towing capacity, as well as the integrated brake controller 😁😁😁😁

View attachment 53891
that’s a very nice looking truck Darren. Are those tow mirrors or do they just look like it from the pic. I too like chrome on my truck, not a fan of the “black out” look that seems too be popular these days.
I’m not super brand loyal but in oct of 19 I bought a 17 F150 crew cab. Sticker shock would be an understatement, I had been driving a company car for 15 years up until I bought the truck, so a nice used option worked just fine for me. I needed it to pull a small trailer for my business. Since then I have upgraded my trailer and I should have purchased an F250 or the equivalent Chevy/Dodge.
Oh and one of my favorite features is the remote start, never thought I needed it until I got it and now I love it. In fact I use it daily.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
that’s a very nice looking truck Darren. Are those tow mirrors or do they just look like it from the pic. I too like chrome on my truck, not a fan of the “black out” look that seems too be popular these days.
I’m not super brand loyal but in oct of 19 I bought a 17 F150 crew cab. Sticker shock would be an understatement, I had been driving a company car for 15 years up until I bought the truck, so a nice used option worked just fine for me. I needed it to pull a small trailer for my business. Since then I have upgraded my trailer and I should have purchased an F250 or the equivalent Chevy/Dodge.
Oh and one of my favorite features is the remote start, never thought I needed it until I got it and now I love it. In fact I use it daily.
Those are just regular mirrors on the truck at the moment. I'm gonna add a set of telescoping tow mirrors to the truck at some point later on down the road. 😁😁😁 I'm not really brand specific anymore. I'm particular about the seats and leg room now days 😉😉😉

My Ford F550 i drive for work had basic vinyl bucket seats in it. The sides of the seat are extremely s
My biggest concern for a vehicle is comfort. Seats and leg room are my biggest deal breakers. The Ford F550 i drive for work has really stiff raised sides on the seats. It's great if your as size 30 waist line. But puts pressure on your hips if your bigger.

Drove a nice dodge to Denver (14 hrs). It was feeling like I was sitting on a sheet of plywood before I reached Tulsa.

I've found GM/ chevy seats to be the most comfortable.

Reactions: 1 user

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
For any of you guys that have the chevy trucks with the 6 spd (6l80 or 6l90), do yourself a $$$$$$favor. Before you get 120 thousand miles on it, take it to a reputable transmission shop and replace the torque converter with a billet after market one. 9 out of 10 vehicles that come into my shop are caused by the converter. I have 2 right now. Those factory converters fail and fill the trans with ground up metal. I have never seen one with a failed gear train. Should cost around $1500 depending on the area. If you wait till it fails, will cost you $3500 to $4500.