Buying a B 2601 Maybe Tomorrow.

RyanS

Equipment
Kubota B2601, Massey 65, Sunstar 18.
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
I am going to purchase a Tractor, Maybe tomorrow. I have my choices narrowed down to a Kubota B2601 or a Mahindra Max26. It is looking like even though the Mahindra has some really great features I am leaning towards the B2601. One of the biggest things tilting me towards the Orange Tractor is the dealer. He sold me his tractor on the tractors Merit. The Mahindra Dealer keeps pointing out Kubota's Short comings in a effort to boast their Mahindra. Like they claim a 1400 pound loader lifting capacity over Kubota's 950. I am not sure I believe that but thats what they claim. The one feature Mahindra has I like is a Clutch. Even though it is a hydro unit it has a throw out clutch that disengages everything but the engine. But The biggest reason I am leaning towards orange is price. The orange tractor is like 3 grand less for the same package as Mahindra.
The mahindra Dealer said that their tractors loader uses skid steer universal mounts. I am not sure if Kubota runs the Skid Steer mounts or a Kubota specific style. The package I am looking at does have quick connects for the bucket I am not sure of the style.

Opinions welcome. Does anyone have a Mahindra?

Last edited:

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
This is an orange tractor forum... so probably won't find any love for the red tractors.

My question is... why do you need a clutch if it's a HST? Sounds like it's just extra parts to break, or wear. Also sounds like they just adapted a HST drive to a conventional trans, opposed to designing a new trans.

As far as the lifting goes... I feel it's like the towing capacities of some of the half ton trucks out there right now. (inflated to make it look good on paper) OK... maybe it can lift more, but is it safe? Can the front axle ACTUALLY take the pressure? How much ballast will you need to pickup that weight... and will the tractor be happy? And finally, how much slower is the hydraulics to give you more pressure?

I'm sure the red tractors are good, but to me... the dealer is 70% of the equation. If you like the Kubota guys better.. then that's where you should head.

With that said... do not be afraid to open your mouth, and say that the other guys are less, and you are considering them. You never know... you may get a few more $$$ off the orange tractor.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Dr Honda nailed it !

Also - look at the resale value of said tractor down the road, not that you want to sell it anytime soon.

Kubota came into the market much like the Mahindra, and only after a long few years did people realize that it was a solid tractor.

When politicians or tractors dealers START with what the other guy does or does not have ....it is a sign that the OTHER guys stuff is better........

in other words - sell me a tractor based on IT'S merit - not what the other company has or doesnt have.......

That dealership 70% can go to 100% ifn when you need them!!!

Only heard a few people say "wow, I am really pissed that I bought a Kubota" - and those really were issues of stupid is as stupid does .......

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
85 Hokie. Your last sentence is very well put!!

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
Dr. Hook and 85Hokie basically nailed it.

Dealer relationship is as important as a good tractor. A dealer that can sell on the merits of the equipment they have is a good dealer, confident in what they represent.

I don't have any experience with Mahindra equipment. Dealers come, dealers go... My Kubota dealer is a third generation business and they treat me very well.

As far as FEL quick connect goes, if they have an option for SSQA I would suggest that you go that route. My LA504 loader came pin-on. When they re-designed the loader as a LA534 it had a SSQA option. Since both loaders are the same size at the pins I adapted my loader to SSQA and I will never again own a loader that is not quick attach.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Quote: "My question is... why do you need a clutch if it's a HST?"

I love having the clutch on my B2620. No electric PTO switch to fail, and I can engage high inertia implements nice and smooth.
I just cringe when I watch my neighbor engage the BXM32 chipper/shredder with his BX.
330 hours and I haven't even had to adjust the clutch yet.

As far as Mahindra.......if I had a dollar for every Mahindra, Branson, LS, Kioti, etc dealer I have seen come and disappear around here, I would have enough money to buy another Kubota, LOL.
I don't like John Deere either, but one thing you can say, and see.......there are JD and Kubota dealers everywhere that have been around for years and years.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
My reaction to any salesman who tries to sell their stuff by bashing the competition is to turn around and walk off. Tell me about your product, not someone else's.

As to clutches, Kubota is finally getting rid of the clutches on the Grand Ls and some others, so Mahindra isn't the only company guilty of having a clutch on an HST, but I see a clutch as a bad, not good thing.

Nothing against Mahindra, but dealerships come and go and resale sucks in most places, so just not for me.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Quote: "My question is... why do you need a clutch if it's a HST?"

I love having the clutch on my B2620. No electric PTO switch to fail, and I can engage high inertia implements nice and smooth.
I just cringe when I watch my neighbor engage the BXM32 chipper/shredder with his BX.
OK... I didn't think about large, heavy PTO items. I'm not a heavy tractor kind of guy... so I don't think past what my BX may do. AND... at my old shop, I had a large forklift with a clutch even though it was HST. It was faster to stop using the clutch, and the brake, that just lifting the HST. (There was a F/R lever)

But it still seems "Extra Parts" to me. FYI... when I engage the PTO on my BX... I just throttle back, so the hydro clutch isn't just slamming together.

RyanS

Equipment
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
I agree 100% that the Dealer is a very important part of the sale.

I went Orange. I signed my life away for a B2601 + FEL + tiller + bobcat pallet forks + box blade + mid mount mower. It gets delivered Thursday.

There would be a L2501 in my driveway but my wife insisted on a Mid Mount Mower so I had to back off to the B series. The BX line just about had me hooked but it just wasn't enough tractor. So after a month of shopping I decided on a B2601. The number 1 reason I bought Orange. The Dealer. He Didn't bash the Competition he didn't try to up sell me he let the tractor sell itself and it did.

I have a small Farm and need the FEL something fierce. We have driveway to install and a barn to build so this little tractor has its work cut out for it.

I couldn't agree more that a dealer or salesman who's tactic is to bash the competition must be selling an inferior product. Neither Kubota nor Deere did that. I did ask the Kubota salesman how can Mahindra boast 1400 pound FEL lifting weight. He said it has to do with the point and height of the loader they measure from.

Thanks for the replies.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Hi RyanS,

I am relatively local to you (Ossian) and a year and a half ago I was on a similar quest. I'm guessing you are probably visiting the same dealerships I did. I ended up with an orange L series and have zero regrets.

For Kubota, whether you go East or North, both dealerships are top notch.

As far as the Mahindra dealer, they used to be the areas biggest Kubota dealer. Don't know exactly what happened there but was told that they parted in less than amicable fashion. That might explain their Kubota bashing. ;) I couldn't get myself to seriously consider a brand I had never even heard of two years ago. They may be fine tractors but I always tend to go with the brands that are better supported. In our area, that has pretty much meant Kubota or Deere for many years. And I...well...I don't like green.:D

Good luck and welcome. I have learned much here.

RyanS

Equipment
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
The Mahindra Dealer lost me when I pulled up and I was more impressed by their tractor graveyard than the new tractors. The dealership just didn't seam professional, clean or a place I wanted to drop 20+ grand at. The tractor itself looked ok, but it wasn't orange.

Kubota on the other hand was the exact opposite. They took me seriously answered all of my questions and wouldn't bash the competition with bait. New Holland is my closest dealer but the were lazy and didn't seam to take me serious. Deere, well I like deere but I liked the Kubota dealership the best.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Speaking of the sales tactics......Before I bought my Kubota I really wanted a NH Boomer (can't remember the model, 1030 maybe, but a 28 h.p. compact.) Luckily I didn't because they were discontinued. But anyway I had no luck at all getting any NH dealer to call or email me back. NH customer service wouldn't even respond to me.
So one day on a trip out of town I stop at an NH dealer. Sales guy wasn't there so the parts guy is trying to find a brochure for me. He mistakenly gave me the dealers sales book on all the models of that time.
You gotta see this book!! It explains to you all the ways to bash the other brands, what points to pick on and actually uses phrases like "to deceive the customer." LOL.
I still have it. It's pretty comical.

RyanS

Equipment
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
Well they was not able to deliver my B2601 last night. Today I am on the Schedule for delivery. I am a bit excited I have never had a new model tractor Period. My old Massey is a very capable tractor but it is gear driven and large. The Sunstar 18 is a nice garden tractor and also very capable but impossible to find implements for it. SO in just 8 or 9 short hours I should have the all in one dream machine (for me at least).

RyanS

Equipment
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
Well it was delivered today about 5:30 PM. What a beast. Very capable machine. I need some loader practice and rear weight. A full bucket lifts the rear end right up. I am pleased with its size to power ratio. I am also glad I didn't go with a larger tractor, that would have made mowing to cumbersome.

Thanks for reading

Ryan

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Congratulations on your new tractor, the B2601 has some nice features not found on its predecessor and so far everyone sees to be really happy with theirs.

Of course now you really need to add (fill in the blank) and buy (fill in the blank) implements; my wish list never seems to end.

Kubotadude

Equipment
B2650
Apr 14, 2016
Illinois
Hi RyanS. Congratulations! I was already excited to get my 2601, but I still have to wait a week. You just upped my anticipation level. In addition to tilling and using the loader quite often, I mow lot of grass and I loved your comment about mowing. My wife will be driving it also (yikes!) once in a while.

RyanS

Equipment
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
Well I used the 2601 all afternoon. My wife finished mowing and I removed the deck. It was fairly simple. The dealer said his service guys did not recommend using the drive over deck feature with the 2601. So I slide it out the side. What a huge deck. I was able to do it alone so I was pleased with that. I did have trouble with the loader not being centered and getting those pins in. But my biggest problem was hooking up to the tiller. What a chore. The PTO shaft worked me for about 40 mins. Finally I asked my son for help and we was able to get it. The issue was not being able to free wheel the output shaft on the tractor. What is up with that? The tillers clutch does not easily move. My Massey is very easy to hook up to the pto it free wheels. Does the Hydro Tractors pto output shaft not freely turn when the machine is in neutral and off?

I will try for pictures tomorrow.

Thanks guys

Kubotadude

Equipment
B2650
Apr 14, 2016
Illinois
I'll be headed to my dealer after work tomorrow to deliver my tiller to him so he can lengthen the PTO to fit the 2601. I'll test the free wheeling PTO shaft on my tractor, and also ask him about it. And he said his customers love the drive over deck. His only warning was to be sure it isn't on concrete, where it could slide. Best to drive over it on the ground.

Kubotadude

Equipment
B2650
Apr 14, 2016
Illinois
Regarding the loader pins, mine were very difficult to insert and remove on my BX2660 when it was new. I called my dealer as I thought I had a twisted loader, but Bill said that was normal when new. He advised me to use some force, and it would loosen up. So, I had to use a hammer the first few times to tap the right side in, and use pliers to pull it out. I greased the pins, and removed some extra paint that was inside the holes. They loosened up after more use. And it took me a while to learn how to adjust the loader and the bucket to get all of the pressure off of the pins.