ZG-20F will not attempt to start

dmccrea

Equipment
kimden85@gmail.com
Mar 12, 2011
Laredo, TX
1) Help me. I have a ZG-20F zero turn mower. I can not get the engine to turn over in the process of starting it. Not clicking is occurring. Nothing. I do have the light going on beside the key and the gas gauge indicating the fuel level. I do not have the repair nor part manuals (they were ordered a week ago and should be here next week). I do know there are safety switches for both handles, the brake and PTO engagement handle. I have found them and in the case of the handle switches, I have removed them and cleaned the contacts.

2) Any advise other than wait for the arrival of the manuals? I would especially like to know how to trouble shoot these switches now before the arrival of the manuals.

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sold ZD28F, Bought04 Grnd L4330 /frnt mnt snwblwer L2185, hted/AC cab, 2nd ZD28F
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
If I understand you correctly, the machine does not turn over or click. Try shorting out the control side of the solenoid. These starters and solenoids are known to have problems. By shorting out the solenoid, if it turns over you know both solenoid and starter are good. Then you are on to the safety switches. I have a ZD28f and could post the schematic for you on Sunday.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
All the safty switches that I have fooled with you could hook the wires together and bypass the switch. Done one at a time would allow you to find the bad switch. If you choose to do this I would leave the wires hooked together as you are testing all the other switches just in case you should have 2 bad switches. When you find the one you think is bad the hook the wire back to the other switches one at a time so if you did have another bad switch it will be easier to find.

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sold ZD28F, Bought04 Grnd L4330 /frnt mnt snwblwer L2185, hted/AC cab, 2nd ZD28F
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
I tried to upload the files but they are too big. They are PDFs (Adobe format). Send me a message with your email and I will send them to you.

There wiill be differences so you will have to be careful. These should get you through until your manual shows up.

Good Luck,

Dave

JPL

Feb 11, 2011
Calvert City, KY
It's more than likely a problem with a switch on one of the hst levers or the brake safety switch. Quick and simple little "test". Have everything real quiet and put your ear down by the hst lever. Move the lever slightly in and out and see if you hear the switch make a little "click" as you make contact with it. If not, your not making contact with the switch. Switch has either come loose from it's mounting or has been damaged in some way. Same with brake switch. Sound simple, but this is where I always start when diagnosing this problem out in the field. More often than not, it's one of these switches and can be fixed by adjusting it so that the arm makes contact with the switch.

Hope this helps!