Zero Turn Z122 E died while mowing

Eneal65

Equipment
Z122E zero turn
May 29, 2020
Poulsbo
Background: I have 48 hours on motor. All services up to date. Battery good. Fuel good. I ensured brake was on, PTO secured, steering levers in neutral position, parking brake on. Would not start. Heard the usual clicking noise from starter solenoid (if there is one?). I checked all obvious safety switches and they appear to be okay. I checed the four fuses under the seat and they were good. I purchased a new battery and got the same clicking noise. Even checked oil levels and they were fine? Scratching my head?

Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong?

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I checked all obvious safety switches and they appear to be okay. I checked the four fuses under the seat and they were good. I purchased a new battery and got the same clicking noise.
Don't know if your checks were visual or tested with meter. You should clean the ground connection on frame/engine. If it still wont start use jumper cable on starter to see if it will crank (bad safety switch)?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Was the clicking noise constant or just when you turned the switch. A constant clicking is the fuel pump. It will click until it builds pressure. If was the fuel pump you hear clicking, check your seat switch with a meter. That is the most likely switch to cause that problem while moving.

Eneal65

Equipment
Z122E zero turn
May 29, 2020
Poulsbo
I will check the connections.

Only clicks when I try to start it.

Thank you for quick replies. I will work it tomorrow and post my results.

Sjess12

May 29, 2020
Potsdam ny
Check the fuses. More times than not it's a simple fuse. The clicking you hear is more than likely the fuel shut off solenoid because something is telling it not to start as in a safety switch or fuse. A common one I see go in the smaller mowers is the seat safety switch. Best of luck!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
This model does not have an electric fuel pump, so you will not here one. The fuel shutoff solenoid is on the carburetor and is so quiet you will no here it either.
What you will here is one load click every time you turn the key to start, that is the starter relay. With an open safety switch, the solenoid will click, but the engine will not crank.

Turn and hold the key to start and cycle your PTO switch, see if it will crank. The PTO switch is usually the culprit. Make sure if you replace the PTO switch that you get the upgraded one. The old-style has a connector that has no latch to the switch. The new style has a latch to hold it to the switch. If you change from old to new, you will also need an adapter ( short pigtail harness) to connect it.

This model uses 4 post seat and park switches which rarely fail. If you want to test them, seat switch = posts 1 & 4 are a circuit and posts 2 & 3 are a circuit.
Park Brake switch = posts 1 & 2 are a circuit and posts 3 & 4 are a circuit.

Here is the diagram from the WSM.

Attachments

Eneal65

Equipment
Z122E zero turn
May 29, 2020
Poulsbo
Turn and hold the key to start and cycle your PTO switch, see if it will crank. The PTO switch is usually the culprit.

I did what you recommended (cycled the PTO switch while trying to start) and got the single click you mentioned.

How do I test the seat switch? I have a fluke multi-meter. Or do you recommend trying something different?

Eneal65

Equipment
Z122E zero turn
May 29, 2020
Poulsbo
I just checked continuity on the seat switch. The switch has four in-line posts vice stacked posts. The posts correspond to 1-4 in the connector. So I got continuity on posts 1&4 and 2&3 but only when the switch is depressed. I believe I should have had continuity on one set of connectors without the switch not depressed? Can anyone confirm? If I am correct, the seat sw is faulty I believe.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Seat switches kinda rare. It happens sometimes but not as common as brake switches. If you can hear the solenoid click, it's likely the brake switch causing your issue.

Sometimes you can sit in the seat, levers out, pto off, turn the key to start and then while holding it to start, move the park brake off and on a few times. If it tries to crank your brake switch is likely "bad", or there is a wiring problem.

Dieselaholic

Equipment
ZD326s,JLG 40G,
Mar 8, 2020
Deland, Florida
This model does not have an electric fuel pump, so you will not here one. The fuel shutoff solenoid is on the carburetor and is so quiet you will no here it either.
What you will here is one load click every time you turn the key to start, that is the starter relay. With an open safety switch, the solenoid will click, but the engine will not crank.

Turn and hold the key to start and cycle your PTO switch, see if it will crank. The PTO switch is usually the culprit. Make sure if you replace the PTO switch that you get the upgraded one. The old-style has a connector that has no latch to the switch. The new style has a latch to hold it to the switch. If you change from old to new, you will also need an adapter ( short pigtail harness) to connect it.

This model uses 4 post seat and park switches which rarely fail. If you want to test them, seat switch = posts 1 & 4 are a circuit and posts 2 & 3 are a circuit.
Park Brake switch = posts 1 & 2 are a circuit and posts 3 & 4 are a circuit.

Here is the diagram from the WSM.
Nice troubleshooting info and nicely explained..:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I just checked continuity on the seat switch. The switch has four in-line posts vice stacked posts. The posts correspond to 1-4 in the connector. So I got continuity on posts 1&4 and 2&3 but only when the switch is depressed. I believe I should have had continuity on one set of connectors without the switch not depressed? Can anyone confirm? If I am correct, the seat sw is faulty I believe.
The seat switch is normally open, you will only have continuity with the button depressed.

346ci

Equipment
ZD221
May 28, 2020
NC
I agree with a safety switch, just don't know which one. I've seen them come out of the brackets, not letting the lever push in the plunger.

Power and ground tight on battery and going to starter?

Does the owners manual have the wiring diagram? Might could use that to jump the seat switch to eliminate it.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I agree with a safety switch, just don't know which one. I've seen them come out of the brackets, not letting the lever push in the plunger.

Power and ground tight on battery and going to starter?

Does the owners manual have the wiring diagram? Might could use that to jump the seat switch to eliminate it.
Why would he jump or bypass the seat switch when he just tested it and verified that is is good and working properly????????????