Zero Turn won't reach full RPM and randomly accelerates to normal RPM

Beemer Farm

Equipment
Kubota Z725
Aug 27, 2024
Beemer, Neb
New to the forum and new to working on Kubotas. I did search the forum, but did not find much related to my mower...

I have a 2011 Z725 - 60" with a Kholer 25HP engine that usually starts and runs with what seems like about 1/3 throttle, though the throttle is at full. After a while, but very randomly, it accelerates to full RPM. it will then cycle every so often back and forth from that 1/3 RPM to full. Sometimes it will run for an hour at full RPM.

I have removed the belt and checked that each pulley turns freely and does not have significant play in the shaft bearings. I suspect there is a fuel delivery issue (or perhaps a linkage issue), of some type of electronic safety or cut off, but I'm quite confused because it doesn't stop the engine, it just goes to about 1/3 power. I doubt it is the inline filter, because occasionally it runs great. There is no obstruction in the mower deck. I have not investigated the tank other than to check that the manual fuel shutoff valve is fully open. I keep the tank quite full.

Thank you for any insight you may have.

Last edited:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I guess that you have a carburetor rather than fuel injection. I would start by insuring that the fuel tank is vented and not causing a vacuum. Next, I would clean out the carburetor, you might have debris randomly restricting fuel flow.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I guess that you have a carburetor rather than fuel injection. I would start by insuring that the fuel tank is vented and not causing a vacuum. Next, I would clean out the carburetor, you might have debris randomly restricting fuel flow.
Following @lynnmor - - do you use ethanol gas? If so, could be some corrosion issues associated with e-gas.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
New to the forum and new to working on Kubotas. I did search the forum, but did not find much related to my mower...

I have a 2011 Z725 - 60" with a Kholer 25HP engine that usually starts and runs with what seems like about 1/3 throttle, though the throttle is a full. After a while, but very randomly, it accelerates to full RPM. it will then cycle every so often back and forth from that 1/3 RPM to full. Sometimes it will run for an hour at full RPM.

I have removed the belt and checked that each pulley turns freely and does not have significant play in the shaft bearings. I suspect there is a fuel delivery issue (or perhaps a linkage issue), of some type of electronic safety of cut off, but I'm quite confused because it doesn't ever stop the engine, it just goes to about 1/3 power. I doubt it is the inline filter, because occasionally it runs great. There is no obstruction in the mower deck. I have not investigated the tank. I keep the tank quite full.

Thank you for any insight you may have.
I think I would be looking for the governor.

Dan

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
replace the spark plugs lately? If not, try it. Kinda sounds like one is partially fouled.

Kohler? If the plugs are new (not cleaned...replace them), compression is good, valve clearance is correct, could possibly be a coil failing. Wouldn't surprise me, not with it being a Kohler.

Beemer Farm

Equipment
Kubota Z725
Aug 27, 2024
Beemer, Neb
I will check that the cap is venting properly. Also will take a look at whether it has a carb or injection.

Beemer Farm

Equipment
Kubota Z725
Aug 27, 2024
Beemer, Neb
replace the spark plugs lately? If not, try it. Kinda sounds like one is partially fouled.

Kohler? If the plugs are new (not cleaned...replace them), compression is good, valve clearance is correct, could possibly be a coil failing. Wouldn't surprise me, not with it being a Kohler.
A coil failing is interesting, but I'm surprised that is runs so long at full RPM occasionally. I will look at a fresh coil as it should be both easy and worth doing for reliability

Beemer Farm

Equipment
Kubota Z725
Aug 27, 2024
Beemer, Neb
That would be my next suggestion but I didn't want to mention that till other things are checked. Governors can be difficult without the proper instructions and we don't know the skill set of the OP.
I agree that it very likely could be a governor issue. I checked for freedom of movement statically and with it running. I will need to find a maintenance manual to go beyond that, unless you can recommend a testing method...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
No ethanol. I only use premium which is ethanol free in our area.
That’s great.

In our area Premium 93 Octane is still Ethanol Gas.

Ethanol Free is typically 91 Octane and labeled as Ethanol Free.

Lots of local folks don’t realize Premium (in our area) is still Ethanol Gas.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I agree that it very likely could be a governor issue. I checked for freedom of movement statically and with it running. I will need to find a maintenance manual to go beyond that, unless you can recommend a testing method...
Here is the Kohler service manual. The govermer is a simple fly weight linkage and you should be able to manually force it to full speed if thats the problem. If that does not yield success I would read the section on the high speed jet circuit in the carburetor.

Dan