ZD331 Starter circuit

Kelly.Nickell

Equipment
ZD331
Jul 19, 2021
Justiceburg, TX
My first post.

Working on a ZD331 (2008)

Downloaded the service manual last week.

Shut it down for a blade change, let it down, all systems down.

Have gone through and cleaned all the safety switch connections, and verified operation.

LH/RH controls in out/neutral -normal open.
PTO disengaged -normal open
Seat -normal open
Brake locked -normal closed.

Cleaned and checked harness connectors as well as relays and control module.

Replaced solid state relays and control module.

Cleaned and checked key switch continuity - good.

Key in on position fuel stop solenoid operates as well as fuel pump. Can jumper hot to white on starter and start the thing and shut it down with the key.
Moving through preheat to start, no juice to starter relay circuit.

Fuse block good, red wire hot at the switch, red yellow hot at ON, no power on pink at PREHEAT, no GLOW bulb on, No FUEL bulb on. Have OIL and CHARGE bulbs on.

And it just gets worse, I just lost everything.

Kelly.Nickell

Equipment
ZD331
Jul 19, 2021
Justiceburg, TX
My first post.

Working on a ZD331 (2008)

Downloaded the service manual last week.

Shut it down for a blade change, let it down, all systems down.

Have gone through and cleaned all the safety switch connections, and verified operation.

LH/RH controls in out/neutral -normal open.
PTO disengaged -normal open
Seat -normal open
Brake locked -normal closed.

Cleaned and checked harness connectors as well as relays and control module.

Replaced solid state relays and control module.

Cleaned and checked key switch continuity - good.

Key in on position fuel stop solenoid operates as well as fuel pump. Can jumper hot to white on starter and start the thing and shut it down with the key.
Moving through preheat to start, no juice to starter relay circuit.

Fuse block good, red wire hot at the switch, red yellow hot at ON, no power on pink at PREHEAT, no GLOW bulb on, No FUEL bulb on. Have OIL and CHARGE bulbs on.

And it just gets worse, I just lost everything.
Found a corroded in half three to one wire connecter inside the harness. Fixed it.

All good. Starter circuit and the others are lit back up.

Kubota's wiring harness prowess in 2008 was a little weak.

Kelly.Nickell

Equipment
ZD331
Jul 19, 2021
Justiceburg, TX
Did you ever read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? What's the question?
My bad. I thought I had included a header that asked the question "ZD331 Starter Circuit - dead, can't find the break, what am I missing."

Turns out I didn't miss anything, I just hadn't pulled the skin off the harness to find all the shrink tube wrapped multi-wire connections that corrode over years worth of being packed in wet grass.

Reactions: 1 user

Tinkerthom

Equipment
ZD331
Apr 23, 2024
Keyser WV.
My bad. I thought I had included a header that asked the question "ZD331 Starter Circuit - dead, can't find the break, what am I missing."

Turns out I didn't miss anything, I just hadn't pulled the skin off the harness to find all the shrink tube wrapped multi-wire connections that corrode over years worth of being packed in wet grass.

I'm having the exact same issue. It's frustrating to say the least. Could you tell me where exactly the corroded connector was located? (ie. under seat near fuse box ect.) Thank you ahead of time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm having the exact same issue. It's frustrating to say the least. Could you tell me where exactly the corroded connector was located? (ie. under seat near fuse box ect.) Thank you ahead of time.
The OP has not been on in 4 years, so I wouldn't hold my breath on getting a reply.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
if it's the one I'm thinking of, follow the harness where it goes under the radiator, RH side (as you're sitting on it facing forward), kind of behind the radiator, near the frame. Going off of memory here but I seem to remember a splice down there, kind of hard to get to without at least partially removin the harness from the machine. Remove the R.R. tire.

Tinkerthom

Equipment
ZD331
Apr 23, 2024
Keyser WV.
if it's the one I'm thinking of, follow the harness where it goes under the radiator, RH side (as you're sitting on it facing forward), kind of behind the radiator, near the frame. Going off of memory here but I seem to remember a splice down there, kind of hard to get to without at least partially removin the harness from the machine. Remove the R.R. tire.
Thank you for the reply. I'll check that tomorrow.