ZD323 - Question about Spindle Dust Covers

AggieBrandon

Equipment
ZD323, 7060, 6800
Jun 17, 2024
Texas
Howdy,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a Kubota ZD323 that we purchased in 2014. When changing the blades recently, i noticed that the dust covers were starting to wear. I purchased new covers today and put them on. My question is are they supposed to spin with the blades now? I don't recall the old original ones doing so. I checked to make sure they were installed properly and I don't see anything wrong.

I installed the cover, blade, cupped washers, spline boss, bolt. all tightened properly. Just want to make sure i didn't miss something and ruin the new covers. If you need part numbers, i'll go grab the paperwork/bag to provide that.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user

AggieBrandon

Equipment
ZD323, 7060, 6800
Jun 17, 2024
Texas
Thanks. I'm honestly amazed the original covers lasted this long. We use it to maintain 3 larger lawns on the property as well as around 2 large shops/barns. We run the oregon gator g6 blades on it (396-810 i believe). I keep 3 sets on hand. take one set off to sharpen and put the next set on. when one of those is beyond sharpening, we cycle in the new set.

When we first purchased it, i was amazed at the forward thinking by putting the swiveling front axle on it to jack up the mower. Makes changing blades easy!

Will check out the video to make sure i'm not missing something!

ChiefWebb

Equipment
MX5100, ZD331, Z242KW-48 & RTV900, Woods Stump Grinder, Armstrong Ag Grappler
Feb 24, 2023
South Texas
My dust cups usually only last 3 years. My mower is a ZD331 and my soil is very sandy, which should have something to do with shorten life. My cups fail from sand/debris hitting them and cutting through. Must also keep an eye on those cupped washers, they will also need replacing periodically. I run the heavy Oregon Gator G6 blades.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

AggieBrandon

Equipment
ZD323, 7060, 6800
Jun 17, 2024
Texas
I was the one that did all the mowing up until about 2 years ago when my dad retired. Let's just say I am much better at maintaining equipment than he is. He said they looked fine when he changed blades about 2 months ago. I only noticed there was an issue when a chunk of the cover flew out while mowing. We live in an area where most of the soil is blackland prairie soil. we do have some sandy areas, but typically don't mow those with small equipment. I also found that he lost a set of washers and spacers for one of the front deck wheels. picked up replacements for that today.

Reactions: 1 user

ChiefWebb

Equipment
MX5100, ZD331, Z242KW-48 & RTV900, Woods Stump Grinder, Armstrong Ag Grappler
Feb 24, 2023
South Texas
I too lost a set of spacers on my right side along with the clinch pin. Wired the new one shut to prevent brush from pulling them loose.