Zd1211 Zero Turn PTO quit

bdecker

Equipment
Zd1211
Jun 30, 2017
Topeka
I have a Kubota Zd1211 zero turn, 50" deck, 2016, 73 hours. Was mowing yesterday and all was going fine, then the PTO shut off on it's own. Mower runs and drives fine, just can't turn PTO back on. Fluids look fine. It only has 73 hours. This is the wet clutch. Linkage looks good. Any suggestions besides taking it into dealership? Was bought used, so no warranty that i know of.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
One of the first things to suspect is the operator presence switch or seat switch.

The designers don't want you getting knocked off the unit by a low hanging branch and your mower continues to circle you with blades running.

Look for chaffed wires, unplugged connectors underneath the seat. Blown fuse(s) may be a sign something is grounding when it should not be.

I don't know your machine. Newer machines are more computer logic oriented where several safety switches send signals to one controller which decides which tractor functions to stop. The engine may not crank, the engine may shut off, the pto may stop, being some examples of what the controller would do in different circumstances.

Think the simple things first. A thorough cleaning of all grass clippings and dirt may help you spot something.

Dave M7040

bdecker

Equipment
Zd1211
Jun 30, 2017
Topeka
Some great suggestions. I should mention some further troubleshooting. I tested the seat switch by being on the mower while it's running and standing up. That does kill the motor, so i'm assuming seat safety switch is not the issue. I did check electrical connections, but since this is a hydraulic clutch, it has a mechanical lever to turn it on and off, but fuses looked fine and did not see any damaged wires. Also to note, on the operator dashboard, it does turn the pto light on and off when you move the lever to actuate the pto. (but the pto does not kick on). Mower is actually 60" not 50" like mentioned earlier, and is shaft driven.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The link below will take you to a pdf owner's manual.

I would be calling Kubota about warranty coverage as serious machines like this one is likely have a warranty that transfers to second owners and lasts more than one year.

I went through the owner's manual quickly and did not find any help except to be reminded their are safety switches on the hand levers.

The owners manual has about 5 safety checks you can perform to verify the safety systems are working correctly. That would be a worthwhile check.

Have you followed the linkage from the pto clutch lever to make certain it did not come disconnected?

https://kubota.ca/getmedia/f7f63210...211L,-ZD1211RL,-OPS-EN-NE-K344171252?ext=.pdf

Dave M7040

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
So you're saying that you can push the PTO lever to "on", engine continues to run, but PTO does not turn?

Couple things. I have seen one mower that had excessive liquid gasket on the suction screen, which starved the charge pump, which stopped the PTO from working. If that's the case, warranty should pick up the tab on it.

But first thing's first. Look at your PTO shaft from the transmission to the deck gearbox first. See if you can turn it by hand. If it just freewheels, deck gearbox may have a problem. Or shaft itself may have an issue. You can actually raise the floor cover and look at the shaft while you're sitting in the seat, to know what's going on with it. Does it turn at all with PTO turned on? If no, then could be filter plugged with liquid gasket, could be internal problem, or could be real simple like a linkage issue.

bdecker

Equipment
Zd1211
Jun 30, 2017
Topeka
Thanks everybody for suggestions and the manual. As for question about if the motor is running when I push the pto lever and the motor continues to run. Yes, with motor running, if you move the lever to turn the pto on, it does not turn on, motor continues to run. It drives fine as well. The light for the pto does turn on. No warning lights on operator panel. Today I tested the seat and brake safety switches and all work like they should. Hydrostat fluid is within acceptable range and probably only has 3 mows on it. Looks clean as well. Gear box for deck looks good as well. Shaft does move to the deck when you manually move it. Blades turn also when you move the deck belt by hand. One thing curious that I noticed, I took the pto linkage off at the transmission and the shaft that is at the transmission (pto clutch shaft) turns freely. Not sure if this is normal or not. Deck also raises and lowers via hydraulics fine.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Sounds to be internal, or starving for fluid. Dealer will take care of it. Hate to hear a new mower with a problem.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I would agree that if the linkage is connected from lever to transmission, there must be something wrong in the case.
I looked hard at the zd1211 to supplement my high hour zd326, and have a backup mower for my small scale mowing business. Ended up finding a lightly used zd331 with 72" deck. Both mowers are beasts, and you are going to love the zd1211 once the kinks are worked out.

bdecker

Equipment
Zd1211
Jun 30, 2017
Topeka
Thanks for everybody's responses. I'm looking into the warranty and where to take it, or dig into it myself. Possibly clutch disks replacement.

TPMCCOY1

Equipment
ZD1211
Jun 1, 2021
Alabama
I have a Kubota Zd1211 zero turn, 50" deck, 2016, 73 hours. Was mowing yesterday and all was going fine, then the PTO shut off on it's own. Mower runs and drives fine, just can't turn PTO back on. Fluids look fine. It only has 73 hours. This is the wet clutch. Linkage looks good. Any suggestions besides taking it into dealership? Was bought used, so no warranty that i know of.
My 2017 did the same thing ,,what was your outcome?

Reactions: 1 user

KeithK77

Equipment
Kubota ZD1211, SVL 75, U35
Sep 1, 2022
Manitoba
My first thought would be to check the PTO shifter linkage to see if it still connected.
All of the stuff the original poster checked was checked. Dropped it off last night at the Kubota dealer, they think it could be the pto switch. Hopefully find out soon but they are swamped like everyone else.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
All of the stuff the original poster checked was checked. Dropped it off last night at the Kubota dealer, they think it could be the pto switch. Hopefully find out soon but they are swamped like everyone else.
It would be interesting to see how they test / diagnose the PTO switch.

Reactions: 1 user

Dfenn67

Equipment
ZD1211
Oct 1, 2024
TX
I have a ZD1211 72” that pto has quit working. Took to shop and $1800 later the mower worked for 3hrs and PTO will not engage. The 2 shops we have here are not very dependable and I don’t want to spend another $1800 on this. Anyone have any insight on this? Linkage is connected, changed filters. I’m at a loss here