ZD1211 fixed axle pins

texaskubota

Equipment
ZD1211
Feb 28, 2023
Texas
So for the first time I decided to try the clever front axle "jack system" the zd1211 has. As it is, the pins are set for fixed axle.

HOLY crap it took me two hours to get them out. Intense hammering, a crow bar, lots of pb penetrating spray, and eventually.....eventually I got them both out. Shirt completely soaked.

I assumed there had to be SOME load on these pins, but after jacking it up with a bottle jack (with no pressure on the axle) it didn't help. I then assumed the axle was maybe a little bent and it grooved the pins into the frame and axle.

None of this was the case. The pins seem to be fairly straight as well. I'm not even sure rust was the culprit. All I can think of is that the axle warped overtime and crimped the pins.

P.S. my blowtorch is out of commission, but might have been the best solution to loosen them up

Those things aren't going back in until I figure out what the hell that was all about. I haven't even tried to get them back in. Maybe they'll slide in now that it's all been so worked. Definitely will add a grease when/if I do