Z421 zero issues

Ktucke1

Equipment
Kubota BX Kubota zero 421
Jun 24, 2024
CT
Have BX and never had any issues and love it. Bought a Kubota z421 zero turn and worked great until 69 hours. Not getting gas. Blew out all the lines with compressor and the fuel filter which I never changed but it’s clean. Any ideas?

Ktucke1

Equipment
Jun 24, 2024
CT
To be more specific the gas is good always has fuel stabilizer in it. The carb is clean. Fires right up with starter fluid. Bottom of fuel filter was full but not the top. As I said blew out all the lines. Could be fuel pump but doubtful. Plus it doesn’t free wheel when you pull out the free wheel lever. Any help would be appreciated.

Ktucke1

Equipment
Jun 24, 2024
CT
Yep. It moved but crazy hard to push. The wheels seem liked they are still engaged but lever is out.

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Only time my 421 had gas issues was when i ran it dry by mistake. Like you said maybe pump but not likely. Air getting in line somehow? Just tossing idea

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
they have a set of levers you pull out to push or tow manually. Owners manual shows you where they at.

fuel system issues can be kind of daunting but luckily those mowers are real simple. About the only fuel issues I ever saw with em was the pickup tube getting plugged up, shutoff valve getting turned off by accident, and occasionally a plugged fuel filter. Less frequently a carb shutoff solenoid sticking--usually due to aged fuel (from sitting).

stabilizer only prolongs the inevitable. Summer fuel doesn't like to sit more than a couple weeks, maybe a month or so with stabilizer (and in a sealed container). Going through this now on some of my equipment that doesn't get used often enough. Old fuel. 2 months old.

Ktucke1

Equipment
Jun 24, 2024
CT
they have a set of levers you pull out to push or tow manually. Owners manual shows you where they at.

fuel system issues can be kind of daunting but luckily those mowers are real simple. About the only fuel issues I ever saw with em was the pickup tube getting plugged up, shutoff valve getting turned off by accident, and occasionally a plugged fuel filter. Less frequently a carb shutoff solenoid sticking--usually due to aged fuel (from sitting).

stabilizer only prolongs the inevitable. Summer fuel doesn't like to sit more than a couple weeks, maybe a month or so with stabilizer (and in a sealed container). Going through this now on some of my equipment that doesn't get used often enough. Old fuel. 2 months old.

Ktucke1

Equipment
Jun 24, 2024
CT
Problem solved. I got a turkey baster and started sucking fuel starting closest to tank. When I got to the carb when fuel started flowing I reattached line quickly and it fired right up. To be fair I did run it out of fuel twice this year but have used it a few times since I last ran out. Though it still moved with throttle levers with free wheel lever out so I need to figure that out but at least I can cut grass. Thanks for the replies

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
My Z422 has those levers and my machine would not roll either. Didn’t try for long but perhaps it’s an issue with these mowers? Have to try again at some point but haven’t needed to roll it anywhere.

Mmanders6

Equipment
BX1880, ZG227
May 1, 2024
Houston, TX
Even with the bypass levers engaged that's still a 900lb. machine. I wouldn't expect to push it around very easily.

Mmanders6

Equipment
BX1880, ZG227
May 1, 2024
Houston, TX
That's true... I would try jacking up the rear and seeing if you can spin the wheels then. Maybe the bypass lever isn't fully opening? These have hydro gear transmissions so there should be a lot of info online for troubleshooting

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
That's true... I would try jacking up the rear and seeing if you can spin the wheels then. Maybe the bypass lever isn't fully opening? These have hydro gear transmissions so there should be a lot of info online for troubleshooting
Not really a huge issue as I have no reason to roll it any time soon. Just figured I’d mention it to see if any other Z400 series guys would pipe up.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
had a customer once with same complaint. "won't roll when I push it". Ok chief, did you pull the tow levers out? "YES I'm not "that dumb". Oh ok, well did you take the parking brake off? Hold on let me check (it should have been obvious). Guy gets back on the phone and tells me "maybe I am that stupid"-and hangs up.

and tire pressure has a huge effect too, if they are at or close to proper inflation, they roll a lot easier-which is also easier on the transmissions and belt drive, believe it or not. But if they're flat or low it's a lot harder to push/roll. I used to be a delivery driver for the dealer and pushing a zt onto the trailer with 4 flat tires sucked. No winch either, boss wouldn't let us put one on and I had a half dozen of them laying around from atv's that were traded in or had to be replaced for whatever reason.

Reactions: 1 user