Won't start with key, will by jumping the starter.

Codeman26

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2023
Pismo Beach, CA
It first started out by me having to turn and hold the key in JUST THE RIGHT SPOT to get it to fire right up. Now the key, no matter where I turn and hold it at, will not start the tractor now. I discovered how to 'jump' the starter with a piece of wire and that's working fine for me but I need others to be able to use the tractor too. I replaced the key cylinder thinking that was causing the "hold the key in JUST THE RIGHT SPOT" symptom but it still won't start with the key now. Any other suggestions as to what could be causing this issue?

2019 L3301 HST w/ circa 300hrs.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
It first started out by me having to turn and hold the key in JUST THE RIGHT SPOT to get it to fire right up. Now the key, no matter where I turn and hold it at, will not start the tractor now. I discovered how to 'jump' the starter with a piece of wire and that's working fine for me but I need others to be able to use the tractor too. I replaced the key cylinder thinking that was causing the "hold the key in JUST THE RIGHT SPOT" symptom but it still won't start with the key now. Any other suggestions as to what could be causing this issue?

2019 L3301 HST w/ circa 300hrs.
By cylinder ,do you mean the part key fits? You might need a complete switch including the electrical contacts.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It could be voltage drop in the circuit and safety switches between the key switch and the starter solenoid.

Some people install a relay at that point to resolve the issue.

The symptoms are similar in that the starter doesn’t activate every time the key is turned to start position.