Why is my oil level rising? B8200

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
My B8200 that I got from my parent and I've had for just over a year now is running OK, no smoke other than a puff of black at start up. About 800 hours. But when I checked the oil, the level was way past max full. And the coolant level was a little low about a quarter cup. So I'm guessing the coolant is leaking into the oil. Seems strange that the oil doesn't look milky of foamy like I'd expect though. Just disappointingly dirty given I did an oil change about 16 hours ago.

What do I do now? Is it safe to assume the head gasket just needs to be replaced or is there more diagnosis that needs to be done?

Thanks for any help!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My B8200 that I got from my parent and I've had for just over a year now is running OK, no smoke other than a puff of black at start up. About 800 hours. But when I checked the oil, the level was way past max full. And the coolant level was a little low about a quarter cup. So I'm guessing the coolant is leaking into the oil. Seems strange that the oil doesn't look milky of foamy like I'd expect though. Just disappointingly dirty given I did an oil change about 16 hours ago.

What do I do now? Is it safe to assume the head gasket just needs to be replaced or is there more diagnosis that needs to be done?

Thanks for any help!
A quarter cup wont show on the dipstick. Check the hydraulic oil level.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
A few comments on your statements:

Engine oil on older diesels will get black quickly. Nature of the beast.

ASSUME you checked oil level after the oil change so the increase happened afterwards. Kubota often has a raised section in the oil pan to allow the front wheel drive shaft to go under. So they need to put two drains in. Often the oil is only drained out of one side and leaves some in the pan. If the specified amount is dumped in then the oil will be over full (And black really quickly).

On my L185 the similar situation of too much engine oil was due to the shaft seal on the hydraulic pump failing and basically pumping hydraulic oil into the engine crankcase. It is a pretty easy and inexpensive fix. This is why @TheOldHokie suggested checking that fluid.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don't assume anything. Don't start any repairs until you determine what fluids are doing/going. Check out everything previously mentioned. Might even go to the local auto parts store and "rent" a pressure tester for the cooling system.

Reactions: 1 users

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
It doesn't smell like diesel, but my sense of smell is awful. The hydraulic fluid is full and clean.

After I noticed the issue yesterday, I topped off the coolant and mowed a for about another half hour. I just checked it again and it is a little lower but not bad. It appears these things don't have an overflow bottle so I guess you just must routinely loose some collate out the overflow tube?

A few weeks back I was thinking the oil was a little low and added some oil. Now I'm wondering if I dumped way more in there than I thought. So I just drained a half quart or so out. Gonna let it sit and settle and check the dipstick again later. May have to drain some more out. But once I get the oil level where it should be, hopefully after the rain passes in three of four days, I'll finish mowing, have about an hour left, and see how all the fluid levels look then. Hopefully I just stupidly over filled it and it will be fine.

But, if its not coolant and its not hydraulic fluid and I didn't over fill it, that leaves diesel in the oil. How do I know if there's diesel in the oil and how do I go about finding that leak? ....searching OTT it looks like a leaking lift pump diaphragm could cause the issue. A new diaphragm from Messicks is $43 or a whole new pump from them is $170 and would be here who knows when. A whole new lift pump off amazon is $30 and would be here in two days. Any issue with trying out the Amazon pump?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It doesn't smell like diesel, but my sense of smell is awful. The hydraulic fluid is full and clean.

After I noticed the issue yesterday, I topped off the coolant and mowed a for about another half hour. I just checked it again and it is a little lower but not bad. It appears these things don't have an overflow bottle so I guess you just must routinely loose some collate out the overflow tube?

A few weeks back I was thinking the oil was a little low and added some oil. Now I'm wondering if I dumped way more in there than I thought. So I just drained a half quart or so out. Gonna let it sit and settle and check the dipstick again later. May have to drain some more out. But once I get the oil level where it should be, hopefully after the rain passes in three of four days, I'll finish mowing, have about an hour left, and see how all the fluid levels look then. Hopefully I just stupidly over filled it and it will be fine.

But, if its not coolant and its not hydraulic fluid and I didn't over fill it, that leaves diesel in the oil. How do I know if there's diesel in the oil and how do I go about finding that leak? ....searching OTT it looks like a leaking lift pump diaphragm could cause the issue. A new diaphragm from Messicks is $43 or a whole new pump from them is $170 and would be here who knows when. A whole new lift pump off amazon is $30 and would be here in two days. Any issue with trying out the Amazon pump?
Take that drained oil and send it off along with $30 for a used oil analysis. It will tell you if you have fuel or coolant contamination and how much. Way cheaper than blindly throwing parts and money at a problem that may not even exist.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
The drained oil got dumped into the used oil bucket unfortunately and I'd like to avoid the time and hassle of sending a sample out and waiting for results.

Hopefully it will be easy to diagnose from here. If the oil continues to rise and the coolant and hydraulic fluids stay the same then it has to be the diesel if I didn't overfill the oil (I do dumb stuff like that on occasion). So I just ordered the cheap amazon pump because I need the tractor operational ASAP.

While I was surfing looking for answers, I saw these video's:

Maybe if the cheap amazon pump doesn't hold up I'll have to do something similar or pony up for the $170 OEM pump or $70 diaphragm.

Thank you all for the guidance, I'll let you know what happens when the rain clears out!